EDITS: Ursa Designs Clikstand: Fuzzy

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Fuzzy-

      I scanned messages and found that you had responded to my first set of edits.
      Silly me, I figured that, as an experienced tester and reporter, you would
      have uploaded your report.

      I'm not going to argue with you and the Mods about leaving the Pocono
      Mountain abbreviation, except to comment that posted road sign spellings may not be
      easily understandable to people of other regions.

      I had thought that the missing measurements were from my copying and pasting,
      but reading your report on line in the test files, I see that you still have
      "xx, yy" in one part of your report. Check your description of the stove and
      please insert the measurements of the alcohol burner.

      One question: What does using a magnet gain in testing the stand's steel,
      stainless V. galvanized? All ferrous materials should be atracted by a magnet.
      Is this a joke?

      Your report really is thorough and fabulous looking please fix the minor
      mistake and upload ASAP.

      Cheers,

      Rosaleen

      PS for Mods- I send my comments directly to testers as well as to the list.

      ...Stand:The Clikstand S-1 is an interesting design, consisting of three (3)
      identical slip-together side pieces, each about 5 x 3 in (13 x 8 cm) and a
      triangular “floor”, about 4¾ in (12 cm) on a side, that snaps into slots on the
      sides once they have been assembled together. The side panels have ventilation
      holes along the bottom edges, while the floor has vent holes around its
      perimeter and a single large hole in the center designed to fit the Trangia stove
      quite nicely (it drops right into the hole), although most any soda-can stove
      should also fit pretty well. All four (4) pieces of the Clikstand are made from
      the same material, which looks – to me – like galvanized steel, but,
      according to the manufacturer, is tempered stainless steel. Now, where did I put that
      magnet. . .
      Windscreen: The windscreen, which measures about 18¾ in long x 2½ in high
      (48 cm x 6 cm), is also constructed of tempered stainless steel (Magnet, Magnet.
      . . here, Magnet. . .). The edges of the windscreen are crimped over,
      presumably for strength, and both ends are folded over about ¼ in (6 mm), and can be
      slipped together to form it into a ring that is slightly larger around than
      the Evernew pot. When in use, the windscreen sits in tabs located around the
      outside of the Clikstand, keeping it from blocking the airflow at the bottom
      while also reducing the height necessary to reach all the way up to the pot – very
      clever. When the ends are not connected, the windscreen can be coiled to fit
      inside the pot.
      Stove: The alcohol burner, which measures xx in wide x xx in high (yy cm x yy
      cm), is an unmodified Trangia model, and is supplied with simmer
      ring/extinguisher and cap with o-ring. These two accessories allow the stove to be snuffed
      out and carried with fuel remaining in the stove, rather than needing to let
      it burn itself all the way out. It is an unpressurized design, with an inner
      wall and a series of small holes drilled around the perimeter of the top
      section. All 3 pieces of Trangia pieces are made of the same material, which appears
      to be either a heavy brass or a cadmium plated steel...

    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        > Fuzzy-
        >
        > I scanned messages and found that you had responded to my first set
        of edits.
        > Silly me, I figured that, as an experienced tester and reporter,
        you would
        > have uploaded your report.

        I won't have access to my office computer until Monday morning to
        upload the changes.

        > I'm not going to argue with you and the Mods about leaving the
        Pocono
        > Mountain abbreviation, except to comment that posted road sign
        spellings may not be
        > easily understandable to people of other regions.

        Granted. I will be working on my bio in the next week or so, but
        I've got a huge project at work, and a week of Scout camp coming
        up... I'm a bit loaded at the moment.

        > I had thought that the missing measurements were from my copying
        and pasting,
        > but reading your report on line in the test files, I see that you
        still have
        > "xx, yy" in one part of your report.

        Yup. Commented on that in my reply. The measurements will be in the
        upload.

        > One question: What does using a magnet gain in testing the stand's
        steel,
        > stainless V. galvanized? All ferrous materials should be atracted
        by a magnet.
        > Is this a joke?

        Nope. Stainless steel is *unsually* non-magnetic, depending on the
        alloy.

        > Your report really is thorough and fabulous looking please fix the
        minor
        > mistake and upload ASAP.

        Thanx. I will get to it in the AM.

        Fuzzy