Repost- Owner Review- Gerber LST Fine Edge lock-back knife

  • David Posalski
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2004
      Owner Review- Gerber LST Fine Edge Pocket Knife

      Personal biographical information

      David Posalski
      30
      Male
      5'11", 180 cm
      265lb , 120 kg
      dposalski@...
      Aloha, Oregon, USA
      7/16/04
      I started backpacking as a kid in the Boy Scouts doing overnighters.
      I used to hate it with a passion. In the last few months, I have
      caught this bug that wants me to go out and see things that a
      relatively few people have seen. This has drawn me back to
      backpacking. I have found it to be the most enjoyable thing I know.
      I have gotten my wife involved and we get out and hike at least once
      a month. I generally carry about 40 lbs (18.14 kg) for a weekend
      trip.

      Product information

      Purchased 1986
      URL- www.gerberblades.com
      Weight- 1.3 oz
      Dimensions- 3.5 in x 1.18 in closed (8.89 cm x 3 cm)

      This is a folding lock-back knife with a synthetic handle. According
      to the manufacturer, the design has remained largely unchanged since
      its release in 1980. The blade has a drop point and a satin finish.
      There is a nail slot for opening. It measures 2.56 in (65 mm)
      according to the website. It is not clear whether this is from the
      handle to the tip or the part that is sharpened, as there is area at
      the base of the blade that is not sharp. I have measured my blade
      and the sharpened area is 2.25 in (5.75 mm) after 18 years of use and
      sharpening. The black handle, made of Zytel, has a checkerboard
      design in the area where you would hold onto the knife and is smooth
      over the remainder of the handle. According to the
      manufacturer's
      website, they have changed to a "fiberglass-filled nylon"
      handle.

      The measurement of the length of the knife handle is equal to
      the closed length and is 3.5in (89 mm). The handle is contoured to
      fit in the hand so that the grip is sure. The knife has a hole at
      the base of the handle that passes through the whole handle so that
      it is easily attachable to a key ring or to a lanyard. I have never
      had the knife slip when I have used it even with the smooth finish.
      After 18 years of use the handle is scuffed and scratched, but no
      deep gouged or cracks as of this date.

      Field information

      I have owned this knife since 1986 and it was purchased for
      me when I was a Boy Scout. This is the only piece of equipment that
      is still in service since my days as a Boy Scout. This is the one
      piece of equipment that has been entirely reliable and is still going
      strong. I have used this knife for all uses in the outdoors; cutting
      rope, food, whittling, and screwdriver. I have totally abused this
      blade and it holds a sharp edge like no other knife I have owned.
      Since that time, it has held a spot in my pocket and I use it as a
      pocketknife that I carry on an every day basis. I have tried to
      destroy this knife so that I can buy a new one, but it just keeps on
      going.

      Since I purchased this knife, I have found two designs that I
      would like to have different from the current design. It has a nail
      slot on the side of the blade that is designed for right-handers.
      Being left-handed, I just grip the top of the blade on both sides and
      open it. The mechanism is soft enough, when it is clean, to simply
      grip the blade and with a flick of the wrist, the knife will open and
      lock into place. I would not, however, recommend standing in front
      of me while I do this. I have yet to have it fly out of my fingers,
      but I am sure this is possible.

      When looking for a knife that locks open, a big concern is
      safety. This translates into making sure that the blade sits
      securely against the lock lever. The Gerber LST impressed me because
      when it is open, the seam from the lock lever to the blade is almost
      invisible. Many other knives that I have looked at have little gaps
      in this area or they don't meet flush. This is what finally sold
      me on this knife. It is a precision joint that reeked of quality. I
      have not been disappointed.
    • Graham Blamey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi David,
        Thanks for your Owner Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with it
        for a few days. All our Editors are volunteers and your review will
        be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not
        had a response from an Edit Moderator via the list within this
        timeframe, please let us know directly at apriest@...

        review. Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will
        usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
        for the official editor. Please put REVISED at the start of your re-
        post, if you take this route.

        If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community!
        The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        get your first two Owner Reviews approved and uploaded in a timely
        manner. Once these first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you
        have submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests.

        To assist in this process, we ask that you only post one Owner Review
        for edit at a time. Our experience is that it is more efficient for
        both our Editors and yourself, if you post your first review, have it
        edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and
        subsequent reviews. This way we can work with you on addressing any
        standard BGT policy edits which you can incorporate into your second
        and subsequent reviews before submission.

        the list or contact me directly.
        Regards,
        Graham Blamey,
        BGT Edit Moderator
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2004
          David,
          Nice review. I've made some edits and some suggestions that would help
          make it even more useful to our audience. Please make the appropriate
          changes and repost it to the group with REPOST in the subject line and
          I'll review it one more time before giving you info on where & how to
          upload it to BGT.

          Thanks for the good work,
          Jim
          Edit Moderator

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "David Posalski"
          <dposalski@m...> wrote:

          > 265lb , 120 kg

          ### Space before unit abbreviations "265 lb"

          > 7/16/04

          ### Please change this to the date you repost it for uploading

          > design in the area where you would hold onto the knife and is smooth

          ### "where I hold onto"

          > over the remainder of the handle. According to the
          > manufacturer's
          > website, they have changed to a "fiberglass-filled nylon"
          > handle.

          ### Is it single-bladed? Any serrations?

          > the closed length and is 3.5in (89 mm). The handle is contoured to

          ### "3.5 in"

          > deep gouged or cracks as of this date.

          ### "gouges"

          > pocketknife that I carry on an every day basis. I have tried to

          ### "everyday"

          > Since I purchased this knife, I have found two designs that I
          > <snip>
          > but I am sure this is possible.

          ### That being said I assume you mean to suggest some alteration to
          this design of a right handed fingernail slot...but I can't tell if
          you're looking for a left handed fingernail slot or a thumb stud or
          something else altogether different. I'm not sure what the second
          thing you would like to have different would be.

          > When looking for a knife that locks open, a big concern is
          > <snip>
          > have not been disappointed.

          ### How easily does it close? Does this tight joint make it hard to
          move the lock lever? How does the lock lever get released so the blade
          is closed? How do you sharpen it? How about cleaning -- is it easy,
          how have you done that, any recommendations? Is there a pocket/belt
          clip? If you could add any of this, I think this would take your
          review to the next level.