Initial Report - Aircontact 50+10SL - Jodi

  • Jodi Cornelius
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
      Thank you for being gracious and allowing me time to get this report down.
      My father is doing well considering.

      Here is my report for your editing and chopping pleasure. The HTML can be
      found in the test folder at http://www.backpackgeartest
      org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Aircontact%20-%20Jodi/

      or Tiny Url

      http://tinyurl.com/5ucdk

      Jodi

      Initial Report: Deuter Aircontact 50+10SL
      My e-mail: bpskids@...
      Name: Jodi Cornelius
      Age: 42
      Height: 5'4"/1.6 m
      Weight: 160 lbs/73 kg
      Gender: Female
      City: Derrick City
      State: PA
      Country: USA
      Date: July 31, 2004
      My area of the country: Northwest Pennsylvania

      My Background: I have been backpacking for 2 years now and before that I
      car camped quite a bit. I consider myself somewhat new to backpacking and am
      on my way towards becoming a lightweight packer. My packweight generally
      runs from 20 lb/9 kg to 35 lb/16 kg. I tend to use a Hennessey Hammock
      since my only tent is a bivy tent. I prefer the hammock to a tent as the
      hammock leaves me swinging gently in the breeze with no hard spot from rocks
      on the ground. Nor do I need to dig troughs for my hips and shoulders (side
      sleeper) so I can practice LNT (Leave No Trace) much better.

      Product Information: Deuter Aircontact 50+10SL
      Manufacturer: Deuter
      Manufacturer URL: http://www.deuter.com
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Product: Aircontact 50+10SL
      Color: Granite/Sun (Grey and egg yolk yellow)
      Weight according to website: 5 lb 6 oz/
      Weight as delivered: 5 lb 9.5 oz/2.54 kg
      Listed capacity:50 – 60 L/3050-3650 ci

      Features from the Website: As quoted from the website: "Trekking pleasure
      for women. The SL designed back system. The modified hip belt, and narrower
      and shorter shoulder straps, shorter back length are the SL (slim) features.
      Top lid pocket with internal mesh pocket, large map pocket, compression
      straps, double-layered bottom, removable rain cover, hydration system
      compatible." The materials used in the construction of the pack are
      Deuter-MacroTec/Deuter-Ripstop-Polytex/Deuter-Duratex.
      Initial Impression: My first thought when the pack arrived was it is
      finally here!! WHOO HOO!!! It arrived in a plain box via the man in brown
      (UPS).I opened the box and the pack was inside, no packing material other
      than the pack in a clear plastic bag. I pulled the pack out of the box and
      promptly started drooling. After quickly grabbing a towel before I made a
      big mess, I started examining the pack. The pack had a tag attached that
      said what the product was, what their website is, a card with a sample of
      the Aircontact material used to help my back stay cool, a letter, thanking
      me for testing their product, and a short Product Feeback form. And then,
      OOOOO, tons of pockets (I love pockets - it is my opinion that there can
      NEVER be enough pockets on a pack. A key pocket that I really liked can be
      found on the waist belt. On the right side of the waist belt, there is a
      pocket in which you can carry a car key or anything else of a small nature
      that you would like to have handy. I like it for my car key. It is a
      zippered pocket so chances are the key will not fall out. The zipper is
      also covered by a small flap that helps to keep the pull tab from catching
      on brush and accidentally being opened.
      The Vari-Quick harness system appears to work as a one size fits all.
      However, upon examination of the pack, it appears that the pack could
      conceivably fit a torso length from 16 in/40.64 cm to 24 in/61 cm. The
      reason I determined this is my torso length is 19 in/48.26 cm and my dad's
      torso length is 21 in/53 cm. I had initially set my pack too long - it fit
      my dad. I asked him what size his torso was and upon telling me 21 in/53 cm
      I looked at the adjustments and noticed they were 1 in/2.5 cm apart. I then
      moved the system down 3 straps and tried it on. It fit PERFECTLY! Checking
      it this way, I have determined that it is possible the pack could fit the
      mentioned torso lengths. The adjustments are made by lifting up a hook and
      loop strap, pulling the strap out from the fabric adjusters and moving it
      up/down depending on your size. Then you pull the strap back through the
      adjusters, flip it over the slits and re-attach the hook and loop.
      The pack arrived on the same day I found out my father had a stroke. So I
      used the pack as my suitcase and packed my sleeping bag, mat, and clothes in
      the pack. I found there was plenty of room for all the stuff I needed to
      take which was nice.

      I look forward to actually using this pack for my upcoming hikes.

      View of the Pack

      View of the top of the pack

      Back view of the pack

      View from the left

      Close up of the buckle on the top side cinch

      Zipper pocket on side of pack - one on each side

      Pack with top extended

      Closeup of daisy chain

      Pack with built-in rain cover

      Closeup of belt pocket

      Things I like: The pockets!
      Things I dislike: Nothing as of yet. I tested the Deuter Futura 42 day pack
      and the construction of that was very well done. I foresee the same
      attention to detail in this trekking pack as I did in the day pack.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
        Hi Jodi

        Super job, I love all the pics...really comes across as a top-notch
        pack. I have just a few edits and I really had to hunt.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jodi Cornelius"
        <bpskids@a...> wrote:
        > Thank you for being gracious and allowing me time to get this
        report down.
        > My father is doing well considering.

        And thank you for getting this in under trying circumstances. Hope
        you Dad continues to improve!

        > Initial Report: Deuter Aircontact 50+10SL
        It arrived in a plain box via the man in brown
        > (UPS).I opened the box and the pack was inside, no packing
        material other
        > than the pack in a clear plastic bag.

        Edit: Need space between (Ups). and I

        And then, OOOOO, tons of pockets

        Comment: OOOOO or OOOOH or yabber-dabber-do LOL

        (I love pockets - it is my opinion that there can
        > NEVER be enough pockets on a pack.

        Edit: I don't see the closing )

        A key pocket that I really liked can be
        > found on the waist belt. On the right side of the waist belt,
        there is a
        > pocket in which you can carry a car key or anything else of a
        small nature
        > that you would like to have handy. I like it for my car key. It
        is a
        > zippered pocket so chances are the key will not fall out.

        Comment: Would be nice it it would hold a small camera. real handy
        location for sure.

        > I look forward to actually using this pack for my upcoming hikes.

        Actually I would take this and start a section called Test Plan.
        Dosent have to be elaborate.

        > Back view of the pack
        comment: 3rd pic down. I agree but got called on this one. Said it
        was really the Front of the pack. Dave (I think) agreed with me and
        (I forget the actuall outcome) I left it like I had it. Leave or
        call it view of padded frame etc...

        > Things I like: The pockets!
        > Things I dislike: Nothing as of yet. I tested the Deuter Futura 42
        day pack
        > and the construction of that was very well done. I foresee the same
        > attention to detail in this trekking pack as I did in the day pack.

        either here or in the Initial Impression section, add a comment
        about the web site. Personally I find this hard to put in the
        report smoothly. Ususlly just a statment such as The pack was what I
        expected after viewing the web site. You could tie this in with the
        above statment.

        Thats all I have, fix when convenient and upload (I know you
        probably still have a lot to deal with). I'll check it one last
        time then.

        Coy Boy
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
          forgot to add edit to subject line. bad habit I reckon.

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
            At 03:30 AM 1/08/2004, you wrote:
            >Thank you for being gracious and allowing me time to get this report down.
            >My father is doing well considering.

            Glad to hear Jodi. Take care and I hope things pan out for the best.

            Andrew

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
              At 09:30 AM 1/08/2004, you wrote:
              >forgot to add edit to subject line. bad habit I reckon.

              Very :-)

              Andrew

            • Jodi Cornelius
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
                Made all your changes and also added a bit of info on the pocket on the
                waist belt by placing my camera in the pocket. Tight fit though if you have
                a smaller digital or instant camera it'd work better (also included
                measurements of my camera in the add on). Changed the 3rd picture caption
                to padded view.

                Thanks!
                Jodi

              • Jodi Cornelius
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
                  Oh yeah, should you go to the test folder to check the HTML, you will notice
                  a parenthesis outside of a period - that has been corrected in the one going
                  into the actual review folder. Just has 10 pictures and it's a pain in the
                  butt to keep uploading the pics ;-)

                  Jodi