RE: [BackpackGearTest] Vender URL

  • GearTester
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
      We only have 2000 characters for the description. I've rewritten it to
      include the Bookmarks section.
      Jerry

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@e...> wrote:
        > We only have 2000 characters for the description. I've rewritten it
        > include the Bookmarks section.

        Jerry, take a look at what I did with the Impact test. I actually
        stole Bill Jeffrey's idea (thanks Bill). I then added a link to the
        product, as well as links to the tester folders. If we want, I can
        strip all the test specific stuff out of the file, and post it to
        files as a monitor report template. Than anyone who wants to work
        with the HTML could use it, without needing to remove stuff first.

        Gordon
      • cstarnes@nehp.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
          Good observation. As as as a bat pointed out some reviewers included
          URL(s) with thier reports. I did on at least the first report but
          probably should have on follow-up reports as well. With the problem
          of pictures taking up to much space this would help solve some of the
          problem though I like to see how owners use the gear in an unusual
          test. Just seeing a generic picture of the product is no real binifit
          if The provider of the equipment has already spent thousands of
          dollars to provide a web page with good pictures of a product. Not
          that the pictures downloaded by individual testers have been anything
          less than execelent. So if your picture adds some spice to the
          report, go for it. If not just add a link to the manufactors picture.

          Coy Boy

          Coy Boy

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., chaynes@m... wrote:
          > Jerry
          > I was just looking over the reviews for some backpacking purchases
          > plan to make, thought I'd look over what had been reviewed and
          > compare with the items I had decided to buy. I noticed some reviews
          > don't list a URL so someone reading the reviews can get a look at
          the
          > product. I was wonderimng if it would be possible to create a
          folder
          > for the URL of the gear provider when the tester folders are
          created.
          > That way if for example I were looking for a sleeping bag, and
          looked
          > at the Big Agnes reviews, I could easily get a look at the produce.
          > I was able to get the URLs for the gear I was looking at by
          searching
          > the message archive, but I doubt most folks would want to bother,
          and
          > a nonlist review reader, wouldn't know that in most cases a product
          > URL was posted with the call for testers.
          > Just wondering what you thought.
          > Thanks
          > Cliff
        • AsABat
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
            From: gordon-price

            >Jerry, take a look at what I did with the Impact test. I actually
            > stole Bill Jeffrey's idea (thanks Bill). I then added a link to the
            > product, as well as links to the tester folders.

            Looks good, Gordon. I find a link to the BGT tester file, but not to
            Princeton. Probably doesn't matter, as I plan to delete my status report
            file after the 6 month tests are done. Therefore, it's probably still best
            to have the reviewers do it - although Mara's bookmarks are probably a more
            reliable place for this.

            > If we want, I can strip all the test specific stuff out of the file, and
            post
            >it to the files as a monitor report template. Than anyone who wants to
            > work with the HTML could use it, without needing to remove stuff first.

            Cool, but you might want to put some remarks in to make it easier to see
            where to put the data. That way someone not comfortable with HTML can still
            fill in the blanks. (I use good old Notepad for HTML coding, so I tend to
            keep it simple and easy to update.)

            Even better - Jerry, can we get access to the Database section and set up
            the monitor status databases there? Does Yahoogroups let us give all members
            rights to create databases but only the creator of a given database rights
            to modify that database?

            Bill Jeffrey

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001

              Even better - Jerry, can we get access to the Database section and set
              up
              the monitor status databases there? Does Yahoogroups let us give all
              members
              rights to create databases but only the creator of a given database
              rights
              to modify that database?

              Bill Jeffrey

              [### ] Nope....it's all or nothing. Just put the URL's in your
              reports...particularly the 3rd and 4th ones. Things are hidden enough as
              it is...KISS.
              [### ] Jerry
            • GearTester
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                It is way cool and perfect for a monitor report but I still feel the URL
                needs to be in reports 3 and 4.
                Jerry

              • gordon-price@home.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "AsABat" <wjj2001@y...> wrote:
                  > Looks good, Gordon. I find a link to the BGT tester file, but not to
                  > Princeton.

                  Fixed it. The link is the name of the test at the top left of the
                  page.
                  I agree on the annotation. I will try to make some time to play with
                  that in the next few weeks.

                  Gordon