Re: [BackpackGearTest] Vender URL

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
      chaynes@... wrote:

      > Jerry
      > I was just looking over the reviews for some backpacking purchases I
      > plan to make, thought I'd look over what had been reviewed and
      > compare with the items I had decided to buy. I noticed some reviews
      > don't list a URL so someone reading the reviews can get a look at the
      > product. I was wonderimng if it would be possible to create a folder
      > for the URL of the gear provider when the tester folders are created.
      > That way if for example I were looking for a sleeping bag, and looked
      > at the Big Agnes reviews, I could easily get a look at the produce.
      > I was able to get the URLs for the gear I was looking at by searching
      > the message archive, but I doubt most folks would want to bother, and
      > a nonlist review reader, wouldn't know that in most cases a product
      > URL was posted with the call for testers.
      > Just wondering what you thought.
      > Thanks
      > Cliff

      Most, if not all, of the manufacturers are listed in the 'Bookmarks'
      (i.e. links) section of the website, and Mara would welcome additions,
      I'm sure.

      It might be useful to re-write the group description to point newcomers
      to some of these features, however. There's getting to be a lot here,
      and I imagine it's easy to overlook what's all offered.

      Ron
      --

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
    • GearTester
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
        We only have 2000 characters for the description. I've rewritten it to
        include the Bookmarks section.
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@e...> wrote:
          > We only have 2000 characters for the description. I've rewritten it
          > include the Bookmarks section.

          Jerry, take a look at what I did with the Impact test. I actually
          stole Bill Jeffrey's idea (thanks Bill). I then added a link to the
          product, as well as links to the tester folders. If we want, I can
          strip all the test specific stuff out of the file, and post it to
          files as a monitor report template. Than anyone who wants to work
          with the HTML could use it, without needing to remove stuff first.

          Gordon
        • cstarnes@nehp.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
            Good observation. As as as a bat pointed out some reviewers included
            URL(s) with thier reports. I did on at least the first report but
            probably should have on follow-up reports as well. With the problem
            of pictures taking up to much space this would help solve some of the
            problem though I like to see how owners use the gear in an unusual
            test. Just seeing a generic picture of the product is no real binifit
            if The provider of the equipment has already spent thousands of
            dollars to provide a web page with good pictures of a product. Not
            that the pictures downloaded by individual testers have been anything
            less than execelent. So if your picture adds some spice to the
            report, go for it. If not just add a link to the manufactors picture.

            Coy Boy

            Coy Boy

            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., chaynes@m... wrote:
            > Jerry
            > I was just looking over the reviews for some backpacking purchases
            > plan to make, thought I'd look over what had been reviewed and
            > compare with the items I had decided to buy. I noticed some reviews
            > don't list a URL so someone reading the reviews can get a look at
            the
            > product. I was wonderimng if it would be possible to create a
            folder
            > for the URL of the gear provider when the tester folders are
            created.
            > That way if for example I were looking for a sleeping bag, and
            looked
            > at the Big Agnes reviews, I could easily get a look at the produce.
            > I was able to get the URLs for the gear I was looking at by
            searching
            > the message archive, but I doubt most folks would want to bother,
            and
            > a nonlist review reader, wouldn't know that in most cases a product
            > URL was posted with the call for testers.
            > Just wondering what you thought.
            > Thanks
            > Cliff
          • AsABat
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
              From: gordon-price

              >Jerry, take a look at what I did with the Impact test. I actually
              > stole Bill Jeffrey's idea (thanks Bill). I then added a link to the
              > product, as well as links to the tester folders.

              Looks good, Gordon. I find a link to the BGT tester file, but not to
              Princeton. Probably doesn't matter, as I plan to delete my status report
              file after the 6 month tests are done. Therefore, it's probably still best
              to have the reviewers do it - although Mara's bookmarks are probably a more
              reliable place for this.

              > If we want, I can strip all the test specific stuff out of the file, and
              post
              >it to the files as a monitor report template. Than anyone who wants to
              > work with the HTML could use it, without needing to remove stuff first.

              Cool, but you might want to put some remarks in to make it easier to see
              where to put the data. That way someone not comfortable with HTML can still
              fill in the blanks. (I use good old Notepad for HTML coding, so I tend to
              keep it simple and easy to update.)

              Even better - Jerry, can we get access to the Database section and set up
              the monitor status databases there? Does Yahoogroups let us give all members
              rights to create databases but only the creator of a given database rights
              to modify that database?

              Bill Jeffrey

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001

                Even better - Jerry, can we get access to the Database section and set
                up
                the monitor status databases there? Does Yahoogroups let us give all
                members
                rights to create databases but only the creator of a given database
                rights
                to modify that database?

                Bill Jeffrey

                [### ] Nope....it's all or nothing. Just put the URL's in your
                reports...particularly the 3rd and 4th ones. Things are hidden enough as
                it is...KISS.
                [### ] Jerry
              • GearTester
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                  It is way cool and perfect for a monitor report but I still feel the URL
                  needs to be in reports 3 and 4.
                  Jerry

                • gordon-price@home.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                    --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "AsABat" <wjj2001@y...> wrote:
                    > Looks good, Gordon. I find a link to the BGT tester file, but not to
                    > Princeton.

                    Fixed it. The link is the name of the test at the top left of the
                    page.
                    I agree on the annotation. I will try to make some time to play with
                    that in the next few weeks.

                    Gordon