Vender URL

  • chaynes@megalink.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
      Jerry
      I was just looking over the reviews for some backpacking purchases I
      plan to make, thought I'd look over what had been reviewed and
      compare with the items I had decided to buy. I noticed some reviews
      don't list a URL so someone reading the reviews can get a look at the
      product. I was wonderimng if it would be possible to create a folder
      for the URL of the gear provider when the tester folders are created.
      That way if for example I were looking for a sleeping bag, and looked
      at the Big Agnes reviews, I could easily get a look at the produce.
      I was able to get the URLs for the gear I was looking at by searching
      the message archive, but I doubt most folks would want to bother, and
      a nonlist review reader, wouldn't know that in most cases a product
      URL was posted with the call for testers.
      Just wondering what you thought.
      Thanks
      Cliff
    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
        Many of us do provide the URL in our review. Maybe your request will
        encourage all to do so.

        Also, the Bookmarks section of the site has many links to manufacturers and
        retailers. If one's missing, you can go to the FAQ in the Bookmarks section
        to send Mara an email with the URL to be added.

        Bill Jeffrey

        don't list a URL so someone reading the reviews can get a look at the
        product.

      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
          chaynes@... wrote:

          > Jerry
          > I was just looking over the reviews for some backpacking purchases I
          > plan to make, thought I'd look over what had been reviewed and
          > compare with the items I had decided to buy. I noticed some reviews
          > don't list a URL so someone reading the reviews can get a look at the
          > product. I was wonderimng if it would be possible to create a folder
          > for the URL of the gear provider when the tester folders are created.
          > That way if for example I were looking for a sleeping bag, and looked
          > at the Big Agnes reviews, I could easily get a look at the produce.
          > I was able to get the URLs for the gear I was looking at by searching
          > the message archive, but I doubt most folks would want to bother, and
          > a nonlist review reader, wouldn't know that in most cases a product
          > URL was posted with the call for testers.
          > Just wondering what you thought.
          > Thanks
          > Cliff

          Most, if not all, of the manufacturers are listed in the 'Bookmarks'
          (i.e. links) section of the website, and Mara would welcome additions,
          I'm sure.

          It might be useful to re-write the group description to point newcomers
          to some of these features, however. There's getting to be a lot here,
          and I imagine it's easy to overlook what's all offered.

          Ron
          --

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        • GearTester
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
            We only have 2000 characters for the description. I've rewritten it to
            include the Bookmarks section.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "GearTester" <geartester@e...> wrote:
              > We only have 2000 characters for the description. I've rewritten it
              > include the Bookmarks section.

              Jerry, take a look at what I did with the Impact test. I actually
              stole Bill Jeffrey's idea (thanks Bill). I then added a link to the
              product, as well as links to the tester folders. If we want, I can
              strip all the test specific stuff out of the file, and post it to
              files as a monitor report template. Than anyone who wants to work
              with the HTML could use it, without needing to remove stuff first.

              Gordon
            • cstarnes@nehp.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                Good observation. As as as a bat pointed out some reviewers included
                URL(s) with thier reports. I did on at least the first report but
                probably should have on follow-up reports as well. With the problem
                of pictures taking up to much space this would help solve some of the
                problem though I like to see how owners use the gear in an unusual
                test. Just seeing a generic picture of the product is no real binifit
                if The provider of the equipment has already spent thousands of
                dollars to provide a web page with good pictures of a product. Not
                that the pictures downloaded by individual testers have been anything
                less than execelent. So if your picture adds some spice to the
                report, go for it. If not just add a link to the manufactors picture.

                Coy Boy

                Coy Boy

                --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., chaynes@m... wrote:
                > Jerry
                > I was just looking over the reviews for some backpacking purchases
                > plan to make, thought I'd look over what had been reviewed and
                > compare with the items I had decided to buy. I noticed some reviews
                > don't list a URL so someone reading the reviews can get a look at
                the
                > product. I was wonderimng if it would be possible to create a
                folder
                > for the URL of the gear provider when the tester folders are
                created.
                > That way if for example I were looking for a sleeping bag, and
                looked
                > at the Big Agnes reviews, I could easily get a look at the produce.
                > I was able to get the URLs for the gear I was looking at by
                searching
                > the message archive, but I doubt most folks would want to bother,
                and
                > a nonlist review reader, wouldn't know that in most cases a product
                > URL was posted with the call for testers.
                > Just wondering what you thought.
                > Thanks
                > Cliff
              • AsABat
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                  From: gordon-price

                  >Jerry, take a look at what I did with the Impact test. I actually
                  > stole Bill Jeffrey's idea (thanks Bill). I then added a link to the
                  > product, as well as links to the tester folders.

                  Looks good, Gordon. I find a link to the BGT tester file, but not to
                  Princeton. Probably doesn't matter, as I plan to delete my status report
                  file after the 6 month tests are done. Therefore, it's probably still best
                  to have the reviewers do it - although Mara's bookmarks are probably a more
                  reliable place for this.

                  > If we want, I can strip all the test specific stuff out of the file, and
                  post
                  >it to the files as a monitor report template. Than anyone who wants to
                  > work with the HTML could use it, without needing to remove stuff first.

                  Cool, but you might want to put some remarks in to make it easier to see
                  where to put the data. That way someone not comfortable with HTML can still
                  fill in the blanks. (I use good old Notepad for HTML coding, so I tend to
                  keep it simple and easy to update.)

                  Even better - Jerry, can we get access to the Database section and set up
                  the monitor status databases there? Does Yahoogroups let us give all members
                  rights to create databases but only the creator of a given database rights
                  to modify that database?

                  Bill Jeffrey

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001

                    Even better - Jerry, can we get access to the Database section and set
                    up
                    the monitor status databases there? Does Yahoogroups let us give all
                    members
                    rights to create databases but only the creator of a given database
                    rights
                    to modify that database?

                    Bill Jeffrey

                    [### ] Nope....it's all or nothing. Just put the URL's in your
                    reports...particularly the 3rd and 4th ones. Things are hidden enough as
                    it is...KISS.
                    [### ] Jerry
                  • GearTester
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                      It is way cool and perfect for a monitor report but I still feel the URL
                      needs to be in reports 3 and 4.
                      Jerry

                    • gordon-price@home.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2001
                        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "AsABat" <wjj2001@y...> wrote:
                        > Looks good, Gordon. I find a link to the BGT tester file, but not to
                        > Princeton.

                        Fixed it. The link is the name of the test at the top left of the
                        page.
                        I agree on the annotation. I will try to make some time to play with
                        that in the next few weeks.

                        Gordon