Re: Princeton Tec Impact Reports #1&2

  • cstarnes@nehp.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jeff Widman" <coinkidd@y...> wrote:

      > Maintenance/Durability: The case is quite strong, and plastic to
      boot. This results in lighter weight, and no heat sucking aluminum
      when I stick the light in my mouth (quite common, probably the reason
      someone invented the headlamp.) The light is also waterproof to 500
      feet (according to the manufacturer, as I have never personally been
      below 20 feet of water. I'm sorry, but I won't be testing the depth
      rating.) However, a ten minute soaking in the sink created no
      problems. I was surprised to see that I could even switch the light
      on and off underwater

      Jeff

      How tough do you fell the light is. To be waterproof to 500 feet it
      has to be fairly tough but will it take rough treatment like in
      knocking about in a cave. How far out does it shine. I understand it
      performs more like a flashlight than most LED(s) which have a pretty
      broad beam.

      Coy Boy
    • cstarnes@nehp.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
        Ed and Jeff

        Two great reports so far. Ed listed the price as around $30. I have
        found it for as low as $27.95 at REI. Jeff. Where did you get the
        $16.99 suggested retail price. I suspect a typeo on some of the
        advertising that came with your light but if not I want the light for
        $16.99. We are talking about the same light arn't we.

        Coy Boy

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jeff Widman" <coinkidd@y...> wrote:

        > Price: Manufacturer's suggested retail price is $16.99
      • Jeff Widman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
          > Ed and Jeff
          >
          > Two great reports so far. Ed listed the price as around $30. I have
          > found it for as low as $27.95 at REI. Jeff. Where did you get the
          > $16.99 suggested retail price. I suspect a typeo on some of the
          > advertising that came with your light but if not I want the light for
          > $16.99. We are talking about the same light arn't we.

          We are talking about the same light. We are also talking about my mistake.
          I've seen the CMG Infinity for as low as 16.99 (Campmor) and somehow
          confused the PT Attitude (19.99) with the Impact. REI sells the Infinity for
          19.99. Either way, I got my figures wrong.
          Yesterday I spent five hours at REI Seattle/Feathered Friends and I also
          noticed that REI's Impacts have white handles. This is a bonus for
          backpacking, as white is easier to see if you drop it. Personally, I like
          the black color, and as it's looking like this will not be on my 'regular'
          backpacking list (I'm trying to reduce packweight,) once I'm done testing, I
          think that the black will come in handy for Capture the Flag, and other
          games at night. (I'm 15.)
          Jeff
        • Jeff Widman
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
            > How tough do you fell the light is. To be waterproof to 500 feet it
            > has to be fairly tough but will it take rough treatment like in
            > knocking about in a cave.

            I'd say yes. I've never done much spelunking, but the case is quite strong.
            The one vulnerable part might be the lens; it is in the shape of a
            magnifying glass and sticks out close to the rest of the body. Not extremely
            protected from scratches. I don't know how tough the lens is, but we'll see
            after a few trips.
            Jeff

            How far out does it shine. I understand it
            > performs more like a flashlight than most LED(s) which have a pretty
            > broad beam.

            Yesterday, in a fully lit room I could see the beam fifty feet away in a
            slightly shadowy corner. The beam is quite focused, but still allowes a
            little bit of light out the rest of the lens. Thus you get that little bit
            of extra for when you want something a little wider than spot. I haven't
            gone out at night yet with it and let my eyes adjust fully and then tried
            it. From what I've seen, I'd hazard that PT's claim of 50yds is, if
            anything, a bit of an underrating. However, that means that I can barely see
            the beam reflected shining on trees that far away, not that they are clearly
            illuminated.
            HTH,
            Jeff

          • cstarnes@nehp.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2001
              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jeff Widman" <coinkidd@y...> wrote:

              > We are talking about the same light. We are also talking about my
              mistake.

              Easy to do. To many lights. To much gear to keep up with. To many
              numbers running around in my head.
              , I
              > think that the black will come in handy for Capture the Flag, and
              other
              > games at night. (I'm 15.)

              Want to trade places. (I'm 39)
              > Jeff