V Deal - Silshelter Report #2

  • Vernon Deal
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      ID Silshelter Report #2by Vernon Deal

      Well, I was able to get the Silshelter out in the backyard
      yesterday for some initial setup and testing. We have had some
      unusual September-like weather with sunny days and
      temperatures up into the 70's. The wind was blowing from 15-20
      mph which made the setup a little challenging. All tents and
      tarps have a tendency to blow around when trying to set up in
      windy conditions but since silnylon is so light it blows around
      like paper.
      The setup instructions that came with the Silshelter were
      pretty good and I staked down the two rear corner tie-outs tight.
      Next you're supposed to stake out tie loops 3 and 6 at 90 degree
      angles to the rear corner ones. 3 and 6 are on a seam coming
      straight out from the apex of the tarp. I mistakenly first staked out
      the two tie loops back of those and things seemed a little odd
      until I got the right ones staked out. It's important not to pull
      these taught against each other or you won't be able to raise the
      tarp.
      Contrary to ID's picture on the instruction sheet I put the
      tip of my trekking pole in the ground and the handle in the
      NeoTek pole cup. To my way of thinking this is the better way.
      The tip of the pole is made to stick in the ground, I don't
      want the handle getting dirty and the tip would eventually wear
      through the pole cup. I raised the pole up to a height of 44".
      Next you're supposed to stake out the two front tie outs on the
      overlapping door flaps. I got one staked out and saw that was
      enough to get under the tarp and try it out.
      This thing covers a lot of ground. I could easily lay down and
      have room for a backpack and bags of stuff. You have to
      maneuver your head end around the hiking staff a little but it
      wasn't too much of a problem. At this point I saw a problem.
      Staking it out this way sloped the back end of the silshelter flat
      down to the ground. My feet were pushing against the fabric and I
      could see the foot end of my sleeping bag easily getting wet from
      condensation. I little bit of looking around revealed some
      solutions.
      The Silshelter has 19 tie loops total. It also has something I
      haven't seen mentioned anywhere else, either on ID's website
      or in other reviews, and that is another NeoTek pole cup three-
      quarters of the way back the ridgeline. The cup also has a
      pseudo cord lock to pull the cup tight around whatever is in it.
      The center rear tie loop also has a piece of yellow shockcord
      attached to it. Well, I dug out several more tent stakes and
      another trekking pole and set to work. I set the second trekking
      pole up under the tarp into the rear pole cup. I extended it 31".
      I then loosened the two rear corner tie loops and moved them in
      closed to one another. I added a stake to the rear shockcorded
      tie loop and added some along the sides of the Silshelter. The
      side ones were mainly because of the stiff winds so the shelter
      would stay taught. By this time things were looking pretty good
      inside.
      I did run into a few problems though. For one, the second pole
      seriously compromises your ability to move around inside. I'm
      thinking that maybe a real short pole in the center back or behind
      with the center back staked up to it would work well. The other
      problem I had was how to close the overlapping doors from
      inside. Getting the first one closed wasn't any problem, you can
      do that from outside. However, to get the second one closed I
      had to kind of put my head down near the ground and reach my
      arm around and over the first flap while holding the second flap
      and play around till I got it tight and staked in the ground well.
      Obviously this wouldn't be a problem if you don't need to
      close the doors. I found that in windy conditions I could simply
      pull one of the doors back around on it's own side of the tarp
      towards the back and stake it out of the way.
      I left the Silshelter set up for several hours and the wind
      didn't seem to phase it. I've still got to silicone coat the
      seams and order some more titanium tent stakes before
      heading out. I also need to cut a ground cloth but this looks like a
      real keeper if I can figure out a few of the quirks of it's
      design.
    • GearTester
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001

        I did run into a few problems though. For one, the second pole
        seriously compromises your ability to move around inside. I'm
        thinking that maybe a real short pole in the center back or behind
        with the center back staked up to it would work well.
        ### I added a pull out about 18" or so up the tarp from the center back
        stake out. I then took an old pole section (I use a staff, not poles)
        and drilled a hole near one end. By running a line from the pull out,
        through (twice, with a wrap) the hole in the pole and on out to a stake,
        I pulled the top up with out the intrusion of the second inside pole.
        The other problem I had was how to close the overlapping doors from
        inside. Getting the first one closed wasn't any problem, you can
        do that from outside. However, to get the second one closed I
        had to kind of put my head down near the ground and reach my
        arm around and over the first flap while holding the second flap
        and play around till I got it tight and staked in the ground well.

        ### I put elastic loops on the end loops of both doors to keep them
        taunt but easy to open and close.

        Good report.
        Jerry
      • AsABat
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
          From: Vernon Deal
          > It also has something I
          > haven't seen mentioned anywhere else, either on ID's website
          > or in other reviews, and that is another NeoTek pole cup three-
          > quarters of the way back the ridgeline.

          Thinking I might have missed something, I looked again for this. Mine
          doesn't have the second pole cup. I'm wondering if you got a special
          prototype?

          > the second pole
          > seriously compromises your ability to move around inside. I'm
          > thinking that maybe a real short pole in the center back or behind
          > with the center back staked up to it would work well.

          My thinking exactly. I put a one-foot stick in the rear center stake loop
          and used the attached shock cord to stake it out. It gives just enough
          height to keep my feet from touching the fabric. Jerry sewed a pull loop to
          the ridgeline from which he runs a line to a trekking pole and back to a
          stake. That's more elegant than my solution, but I prefer mine as it is
          simpler.

          Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey