Re: [BackpackGearTest] Princeton Tec Impact Reports 1 & 2

  • Dave Hicks
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
      Ed

      Good report.

      However, one feature of the Impact, which you or other testers might want to
      play with, caught my attention.

      How reliable is the twist on and off. Over the years, I have had problems
      with other lights coming "on" in my pack and draining the batteries. Both
      were twist the bulb housing types.

      As this was a rare and random event, I haven't a clue how to for test it.
      However, you might just address the concern with an assessment about how
      tight it is, how hard to turn, how far it has to be turned, etc.

      Chainsaw

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
        It's pretty stiff. Not greased like my Maglite, yet not hard to turn on when
        you grasp it in two hands. I can barely turn it on with one bare hand using
        my thumb and forefinger to turn while my other fingers grasp the main body.
        You can also unturn the switch several turns, it may somehow (who knows?)
        turn even up to one full twist, but you can back off the switch probably
        around three full turns. Also, see the wonderful job that Ed did with the
        freezer battery test. (Great job, Ed, I was amazed at the statistics!) One
        night accidentally turned on won't make a huge difference battery wise if
        you always start your trips with new batteries.
        Jeff
        --
        Jeff Widman
        Reputable, Small, Part Time, Internet Dealer in Error/Variety Coins

        > However, one feature of the Impact, which you or other testers might want
        > play with, caught my attention.
        >
        > How reliable is the twist on and off. Over the years, I have had problems
        > with other lights coming "on" in my pack and draining the batteries. Both
        > were twist the bulb housing types.
        >
        > As this was a rare and random event, I haven't a clue how to for test it.
        > However, you might just address the concern with an assessment about how
        > tight it is, how hard to turn, how far it has to be turned, etc.
        >
        > Chainsaw

      • Michael Wheiler
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
          PRINCETON TEC IMPACT
          Reports 1 & 2

          Personal Data:

              Mike Wheiler
              45 year old male
              5'10", 175 pounds
              Idaho Falls, Idaho
              jmwlaw@...

          Packaging:

              The Impact arrived via UPS in great shape in a brown cardboard box.  The Impact itself is wrapped in a hard clear plastic container along with the advertising/instruction card.

          Specifications:

              According to Princeton, the light's specifications are as follows:

              Power:  275 lux at 2' (1 foot candle equals 10.76 lux)
              Bulb:  Ultra bright white optically enhanced L.E.D.
              Bulb life:  10,000+ hours
              Batteries:  4 AA alkaline
              Burn Time:  150+ hours
              Waterproof:  To 500 feet
              Switch:  Twist activated
              Weight:  5.7 ounces with batteries

              Princeton claims that the Impact is "virtually indestructible" and that it will "project a beam over 50 yards."  Princeton warrants that the Impact (not including bulbs and batteries) will be free from defects under normal use for as long as you own the product.
              For best results, Princeton recommends using alkaline batteries and suggests that batteries be removed for long storage periods.  The manufacturer emphasizes that exhausted batteries be removed from the light immediately, that you not overtighten the lens cap and that improper battery installation will damage the light.  The instructions on battery installation are clear and Princeton provides a diagram as well.

              There is an "O" ring installed just below the threads of the lens cap.  According to Princeton the "O" ring and threads need to be cleaned "occasionally" with soap and water and both the "O" ring and lens cap threads need to be lightly lubricated with silicone grease not aerosol spray lubricants as certain spray lubricants will apparently cause damage which will void the warranty.

          Examination and Initial Impressions:

              The light was easy to remove the packaging.  It comes with 4 AA alkaline batteries and a lanyard.  After reading Ed's report, I read the instructions before attempting to install the batteries.  However, a careful examination of the interior of the light handle where the batteries are inserted shows a + and - sign where the batteries are inserted.  These markings are not easy to see and one could insert the batteries incorrectly if not for the instructions.  I had no difficulty installing the lanyard.

              After installing the batteries and lanyard, I twisted the lens switch and turned on the light.  The lens is not easily turned but can be done with one bare hand.  The lens cap can be backed off enough to alleviate any concerns regarding inadvertently turning on the light.  The black plastic body seems solid and well built. My first impression is that this light feels good in my hand.  It is well balanced.

              Cost:  I found the Impact at REI for $27.95 in "granite" color (it looked white to me) and in the Holiday 2001Campmor catalog (page 215) for $25.99.  The Campmor catalog indicates the Impact comes in yellow, black, red, blue or granite.

          Comparison To Maglite:

              Though I have switched to headlamps for backpacking, to date, my hand held light of choice has been the Mini Maglite (2-AA alkaline batteries--$9.99).  I weighed the Impact on our postal scale.  With batteries and lanyard it weighed in at 5.7 ounces (2.4 ounces without batteries).  I have added a lanyard to my Maglite and it weighed in at 4.2 ounces with alkaline batteries (2.5 ounces without batteries).

              The Maglite feels like cold steel in my hand (probably because I just brought it in from the garage and it is both metal and cold) as compared to the Impact.  Both lights are well balanced and carry easy in my hand.  The Impact produces a non-adjustable wide beam of blue-white light.  The Maglite is awhile beam of light which can be adjusted from wide to a narrower, more focused beam.

              Trying to measure the distance each beam of light would illuminate objects was not real scientific.  With one light in each hand, I went out onto the back porch and attempted to see what I could find in my neighbor's yard (I live on 1 and 1/4 acres in a small subdivision outside of Idaho Falls).  I then stepped off the distance to the various objects I was able to illuminate.  I put new batteries in each light.  Obviously, depending upon the available light (we have a cloudless sky and no moon right now with very little other artificial light in the neighborhood) and the vision of the tester, these results will vary.  I was clearly able to illuminate objects approximately 30 to 35 yards away with the Impact.  I was able to illuminate objects approximately 30-35 yards away with the Maglite but the light was inferior to that provided by the Impact.

              I attempted a comparison of the light provided by both the Maglite and the Impact by shinning the two lights a short distance in front of my feet.  The Maglite was narrowed to the most focused light.  The light from Impact sort of resembled a full moon with a halo around it.  The light from the Maglite fit completely inside the "moon" or center of the Impact light and was undoubtedly less bright.

              I always carry extra batteries because I have been disappointed in the burn time available with the Maglite.  As part of this test series, I plan to log the hours of light available to me with the Impact for comparison with the manufacturer's claims.

          Testing:

              Test One:  I filled a bucket with cold water to a depth of one foot, turned on the Impact and dropped it into the bucket.  My kids were especially interested in this test and were amazed that the light continued to shine in the water.  They thought it made a really cool night light!  The Impact has now been immersed in one foot of water for seven hours and forty-five minutes.  It is still shinning brightly.  After removing the Impact from the water I opened it and found the interior to be completely dry.

              Test Two:  With some trepidation, I decided to try out the "virtually indestructible" claim of Princeton Tec.  I took the flashlight outside and dropped it from arm's length (approximately five feet) to the grass and to the bare dirt.  The light seemed unphased.  Somewhat reassured, I then attempted the same drop onto some rocks on my neighbor's yard.  I watched as the Impact bounced among the rocks continuing to shine its light.  The end of the light which took the initial "impact" with the rocks was scuffed but the body was unbroken and it continued to provide light unaffected by the fall.

          Future Testing:

              For the final report, I intend to test the 150+ hours of burn time and attempt some additional drop testing in mountain terrain.  I plan to use the light in my next three campouts since we won't be doing much long distance packing with the snow season quickly approaching.  The next outing is tent camping near the South Fork of the Snake River.  We usually have to deal with very cold temperatures.  In December we will be camping in lava tubes and I will have a good opportunity to test the Impact in caving type excursions.  In January we will be camping in snow caves in Island Park.  Again, the Impact will be used in some extreme temperatures.   I was really impressed with Ed's freezer testing and can confidently plan on the Impact providing me with light even in the coldest outings.

          Conclusions:

              Based upon these initial tests, I'm very impressed with the Impact.  With batteries, it does weigh more than the other flashlights I carry but it provides brighter light, takes some pretty good abuse and continues to perform well.  Based on a head to head comparison, I would purchase the Impact over the Maglite.  I appreciated the information provided by Ed and Jeff--both great reports.  I agree with Jeff on the available colors.  I think the "granite" color would be easier to find if dropped but the black would be best for night games, including steal the flag (I'm 45 but still a kid at heart).  My thanks to Jerry and Princeton Tec for allowing me this opportunity to test drive the Impact.
        • GearTester
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001

            I think you’ll find the Impact will blow the doors off the Mag for burn time. Even if you carried a spare set of batteries the Impact would still burn much longer. And you’d better be carrying a spare bulb for that MiniMag. They eat bulbs. Excellent report.

            Jerry

                Based upon these initial tests, I'm very impressed with the Impact.  With batteries, it does weigh more than the other flashlights I carry but it provides brighter light, takes some pretty good abuse and continues to perform well.  Based on a head to head comparison, I would purchase the Impact over the Maglite.  I appreciated the information provided by Ed and Jeff--both great reports.  I agree with Jeff on the available colors.  I think the "granite" color would be easier to find if dropped but the black would be best for night games, including steal the flag (I'm 45 but still a kid at heart).  My thanks to Jerry and Princeton Tec for allowing me this opportunity to test drive the Impact.

            .

          • Michael Wheiler
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
              I'm convinced.  I'll be carrying the Impact instead of the Maglite.  Thanks for your input.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001

                I carried MiniMags for years as a tech. I just couldn’t believe how many batteries and bulbs they would go through. But they are tough. If you go to lithium batteries it should drop the weight of the Impact to just under 4 oz.

                Jerry

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
                  I wonder how many people are aware the MiniMag has a spare lamp in the tail cap.

                  <Bill>

                  Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
                  N 53°51.140'  W 166°30.228'   (WGS 84)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001

                    Yup,,,in a little foam thing inside the spring. I always carried a few more in the truck.

                    Jerry