REPOST: The North Face Paramount Cargo Shorts Owner Review

  • liarsacademy8588
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2004
      The North Face Paramount Cargo Shorts Owner Review

      Personal Information:
      Name: Andrew Richard
      Age: 16
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'7" (1.6 Meters)
      Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
      Email address: Liarsacademy8588@...
      City, State, Country: Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.
      Date: June 19th, 2004
      Backpacking Background: I have been a day hiker for the past 4 years
      and in the last year I have begun to take up backpacking. I carry an
      average weight pack because I enjoy having certain luxuries while
      I'm outdoors. My hiking usually takes place in the desert, but I
      have adventured into higher elevations a few times. In the future I
      hope to accomplish much more difficult terrain including thru-hiking
      some of the nation's longer trails (i.e. Continental Divide Trail,
      Sea to Sea Trail, etc.)

      Product Information:
      The North Face Paramount Cargo Shorts
      Materials: 100% Nylon
      Suggested Retail: $42.00
      Manufactured: Bangladesh

      Specifications: (All measurements are for size medium)
      Inseam: 10" (254 mm)
      Waist: 32"-34" (813mm - 864mm)
      Color(s): New Taupe, Fossil Ivory, Asphalt Gray, Classic Khaki
      There are a total of 6 pockets; two in the rear with Velcro closure,
      two in the front, and two side cargo pockets. The two Velcro
      pockets in the back and the two cargo pockets will securely hold
      items, but the two pockets in the front, sans Velcro, won't
      reliably hold things in if I have them upside down. All of the
      pockets are positioned conveniently; it is easy to grab my GPS or a
      Power Bar while I'm on the move. They have an elastic waist along
      with a built-in belt.

      Review:
      Locale(s): The Sonoran Desert (elev. 2,000 - 4,000 ft / 610 m –
      1219 m) and the Grand Canyon. Temperatures have varied from 40 F (4
      C) all the way to the 115 F (46 C); used both in sun and light
      desert sprinkles.

      I purchased these shorts over two years ago from REI. Before these
      my experience with hiking shorts was limited only to blue jean
      shorts. I originally bought these shorts for use in day hikes, but
      they have proved equally as worthy for backpacking. The North Face
      also has a pant model of this version, and a pant/short convertible
      version.

      Durability:
      After two years of pretty average use, these shorts are still in
      great condition. There are no signs of wear on the seat, or rips and
      tears of any sort. These shorts have been on numerous day hikes in
      difficult, rocky terrain where clothes can be easily ripped by many
      different factors. They have brushed against every kind of cactus
      available (unfortunately) and have faired very well (all of the
      blood has washed out). They've also been down the Grand Canyon twice
      and on other minor backpacking trips. I've washed them under normal
      care among other clothes such as jeans, etc. and show no signs of
      abuse. There are only minor stains on the bottom, but they are
      undetectable except under close inspection.

      Fitting:
      On a recent backpacking trip I wore them for over 72 hours strait,
      from start to finish (including several trips into a creek) and I
      never experienced any kind of irritation or chaffing. The elastic
      waistband allows for a range of sizes, and the built in belt keeps
      them securely at my hips. However the built in belt is not ompatible
      for carrying pouches for things such as pocketknives, cell phones
      etc. The 10" inseam is short enough for a free range of motion for
      steep inclines, yet is long enough to be seen in the city without
      screaming outdoors geek. They also fit comfortably under a larger
      pack hipbelt without any rubbing or chafing.

      Water use:
      They prove to have reasonable water-resistant during a few desert
      showers, they could last a few minutes in a list mist before water
      penetrated the fabric. They are also quick to dry after a use as
      swimming suit, or any other sort of complete soaking, needing less
      then a half an hour to dry (a half an hour of sitting and preparing
      lunch, not walking on a trail. The pockets are lined with mesh to
      drain easily after any river/creek crossing.

      Weaknesses:
      My only problem with these shorts was their price tag; at over $40
      they are quite pricey, yet over the years they have proven well
      worth it.

      Overall:
      Overall, these shorts are great for the outdoors. They have proved
      durable and comfortable, everything good hiking shorts should be.
      After being coated in red rock dust from along the Bright Angel
      Trail they required no washing, after being soaked in water and with
      a little bit of rubbing with my thumb the dirt disappeared. The
      shorts ventilate well, which is a necessity for hot weather hiking.
      I plan on buying another pair of these shorts when (if?) they wear
      out.

      THE GOOD:
      Durable
      Water-resistant
      Comfortable

      THE BAD:
      Price
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        Andrew,
        Nice job with the edits. I've found a couple of things that snuck
        through so once you've made those changes you can upload it to BGT at
        this link:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants%20and%20Shorts/The%20North%20Face%20Paramount%20Cargo%20Shorts/
        or
        http://tinyurl.com/6ea6c
        <<<<<Use either link>>>>>

        When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
        marked Owner Review.

        support group, BGTFileUploadHelp @

        You may also find it useful to make use of the test upload folder at
        Reviews >Test or http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test to test
        your upload before uploading the review to its new home.

        Thanks again for the excellent work.
        Jim
        Edit Moderator

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "liarsacademy8588"
        <liarsacademy8588@y...> wrote:

        > Height: 5'7" (1.6 Meters)

        ### meters doesn't need the uppercase & can be abbreviated m if you'd like

        > Date: June 19th, 2004

        ### Please change the date to August 1, 2004 so it matches your upload
        more closely.

        > Inseam: 10" (254 mm)
        > Waist: 32"-34" (813mm - 864mm)

        ### Are these as measured or as listed by the mfg. If TNF doesn't list
        these measurements please note that if it does please list both their
        measurements and your own actuals.

        > On a recent backpacking trip I wore them for over 72 hours strait,

        ### "straight"

        > never experienced any kind of irritation or chaffing. The elastic

        ### "chafing" (chaffing means "to tease", chafing is the irritation
        version)

        > them securely at my hips. However the built in belt is not ompatible

        ### "compatible"

        > They prove to have reasonable water-resistant during a few desert

        ### "proved" and "resistance"

        > then a half an hour to dry (a half an hour of sitting and preparing
        > lunch, not walking on a trail. The pockets are lined with mesh to

        ### "trail).