HH final report.

  • PCLINK
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2000
      Final hammock session. 12/16/00

      The w inds came and 0*.
      6 inches of snow fell clean off the fly.
      Minnesota woods, Paul Petzoldt PG bag with Cats Meow liner.
      I am using a 1.5 " full length pad.

      The "Winter Wrap" I made kept out the drafts. My elbows get cold off the
      Thermarest. . It is a good insulator but also it flattens out my posture.
      Skied all day again and I am really wiped out.
      The wind is blowing and it took me three hours to drive forty-eight miles
      this morning. It snowed all day. No snow on the screen or inside. I left
      a 3" gap at each end of the wrap for ventilation. I think that is more than
      necessary. I clipped "wrap" sides to hammock side rings and used clothes
      pins to close ends around hammock. All else is as per hennessy
      instructions.I kept it in a side pocket and set it up in a couple minutes.

      When the gusts blow hard , I can hear the crystals hit and slide off the
      fly.
      The hammock is flanked by two big drifts/piles of snow. The fly makes less
      noise with wrap in place. Exiting the hammock takes only to find the
      velcroed door slot and pressing one foot through it. It stays well sealed
      from the weight /tension as I ay in it, yet opens simply when seperated with
      one foot or hand. A small access from the other end would be appreciated,
      just for grabbing gear or running in a waterbag tube. I like cooking from my
      open top hammock.

      This time also, I have found the hammock quite stable and less apt to
      "funnel" me to the center. I lay flatter than many ground sites . I can
      also roll to my side easier than previous hammocks I have used. Tom
      Hennessy has somehow tailored the supporting fabric to lay flat when I
      recline. I woke up at 2a.m., no stress in moving about. Interior temp cool
      but comfortable. Bag exterior cool and dry. "Wrap" holding in heat and
      stays in place. Condensation(frost) above my head on netting, just a few
      inches above mouth, not causing a problem. Aside from it being one of the
      windy, snowiest,coldest days so far this winter, It was one of the most
      comfortable nights I've had in a hammock. I had to do little acclimating to
      the posture of sleeping and the sides did not crowd me. I was warm all
      night and heating less space than a tent may have helped. The Wrap was a
      simple ultarlight covering which made a big difference from my last try
      without it.

      Summation:
      Packs small and ultralight.
      Materials are durable, slippery to moisture.
      Set up is fast and adjustable to terrain and anchor points.
      As a summer hammock it will be a dream. For winter, just adding the top Wrap
      kept me cozy while using my winter bag(s).
      Limited room for gear. Gear loft at head end would be useful.(Up in the
      small area).
      Lighter cords held well and untied easily.
      My 200 lb., 6'1" frame fit well inside. It would probably be quite roomy for
      a shorter/lighter person.
      Sylnylon fly is light and quick to set up.
      Tree webbing might be longer or adjustable but works well on trees 8" in
      diameter or less.
      Other testers have commented on snow falls from trees, I'm not sure a tent
      would be any safer since the snow would have a place to go off the hammock.
      For the price I think the Hennessy Utralight is a great alternative to tents
      and tarps. I also look to using it for a quick nap on the trail or shelter
      from a sudden storm.

      Dan Halsey

      Pictures in file.
    • halsey1@pclink.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2000
        Sorry, I could get to it today.

        Gone tomorrow, I will try soon.

        Dan
      • Gear Tester
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 22, 2000
          I couldn't figure out where the pictures were. Good report. Thanks.
          Jerry