Mountain Hardware Tallac Down Sleeping Bag - Owner Review

  • Lois Evans
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2001
      Mountain Hardware Tallac Down Sleeping Bag - Owner Review Here is my owner review on the Mountain Hardware Tallac - Down Sleeping Bag. I will be glad to insert a report into a folder if one could be created for this item.
      Thanks,
      Lois Evans

      Mountain Hardware Tallac - Down Sleeping Bag

      Tester: Lois Evans, 48 y.o. female, 5¹ 7², 140 lbs.

      Purchased: 2-01 for 149.99 at Quest in Louisville, KY  ( on sale, originally $200)

      Used:
      1.  Overnight backpack trip to Morgan-Monroe State Forest, Indiana, Mar. 2001.  Night time temperature down to 19 degrees.
      2.  Week long backpack trip on AT in SW Virginia, May 2001. Night time temperature from 40-55 degrees.
      3.  Week long canoe trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Aug. 2001. Night time temperature 45-60 degrees.

      Specifications:
      +20 degree bag, weighs  2 lbs. 12 oz., 600 fill down

      This is my first down bag and I love it.  It¹s a 20 degree bag, but so is my Slumberjack Kings¹ Peak and this is definitely warmer.  Also softer due to the loft of the down.  It is very comfortable as well and  provides plenty of space to move around in for a restless sleeper like myself. I have tried many bags on for size and find this one fits me, a woman, better than most, even though it isn¹t a woman¹s bag.

      On my first trip out with it, the temperature dropped to 19 degrees and wearing my long underwear, I was plenty warm.  It was hard to get out of the bag into the cold morning for breakfast.  I haven¹t used this bag in really warm weather, but it was quite comfortable in the 40 to 60 degree range.  I think it would be quite comfortable to sleep upon when the temperatures are very hot.

      The bag packs down small into my waterproof compression stuff sack and fits very nicely into the sleeping bag compartment of my pack. It doesn¹t have a draft collar, but I have had no difficulty with the zipper getting caught in fabric.   It has an ample hood with a drawstring and velcro closure.  Below the hood on the front is a small pocket with a mosquito hood, a nice touch.  I haven¹t had to use the mosquito hood yet but the small pocket comes in handy for flashlight, etc.

      Finally the bag is a very pretty deep teal, which first drew my attention while hanging in the store.  But overall, I think this bag is a very good deal for a comfortable and functional down bag at an affordable price.  I have no negative comments on it.  I think it is a bag worth checking out, if you are looking for a reasonably priced comfortable down bag.  I especially recommend it to women looking for comfort in a down bag.

      Lois Evans
      lbevans@...
      Indianapolis,IN