REPOST--Sun Precautions Solumbra Safari Shirt

  • Laurie Corbin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2004
      Sorry for the delay. Small computer failure but I'm
      back in business now. I've added a description of the
      fabric.

      Laurie

      Owner Review--Sun Precautions Solumbra Safari Shirt

      Name: Laurie Corbin
      Age: 40
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 6" (1.6 m)
      Weight: 135 lbs (61 kg)
      Email: mslimpsalot@...
      City, State, Country: Cumming, GA USA
      Date: June 30, 2004

      Backpacking Background: In the last four years, I have
      returned to backpacking and hiking. Although I took
      18 years off, the woods kept calling. I have hiked in
      Georgia, North Carolina and the Smokies. I have been
      a three-season backpacker but recently ventured into
      winter backpacking and truly enjoyed it. My average
      three-season pack weight is about 20 total pounds
      (11.3 kg) but I am really trying to lighten up. The
      winter pack weight is heavier at about 35 pounds (15.8
      kg) as I get cold very easily (read that ice cold
      sleeper).

      Product Information
      Manufactured by: Sun Precautions
      Year: 1999
      Size: Small
      Color: Maize (light yellow)
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sunprecautions.com
      Actual weight: 7 oz (198 g)
      Material: Nylon/synthetic
      MSRP: $79.95

      The shirt is only available with unisex sizing but I
      did not have a problem getting a good fit. The shirt
      looks like a regular button-front oxford cut shirt and
      comes in ten colors. It is also available in tall
      and petite sizes. The shirt has long sleeves with
      vented material extending from under the arm to two
      inches (51 mm) from the cuff. The vented material is
      two inches (51 mm) wide under the arm and tapers to a
      point. It also has a mesh material under a vented
      back. The vented material extends from the neckline
      across to each shoulder and down to the shoulder
      blades. The regular fabric covers this vented
      material and is stitched only in the center allowing
      free air flow. It has a buttoned pocket on each side
      of the chest. The shirt is deemed a medical device
      per the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and the
      American Academy of Dermatology has awarded it its
      Golden Triangle Award for cancer prevention.
      According to the manufacturer, the proprietary fabric
      blocks 97% of UVA and UVB rays and has a SPF 30+
      rating. It also loses very little of its SPF rating
      when wet.

      Field Information

      I have used this shirt since 1999 on day hikes and
      backpacking trips. It has also been used for everyday
      wear and for sun protection at outdoor concerts and
      events. The fabric is soft, lightweight, and loose
      fitting and has only gotten softer with washing
      (machine wash cold and line dry). To the hand, it
      feels like a brushed cotton/polyester blend but it
      drys as fast as Coolmax. It shows no signs of wear,
      no loose buttons, no frayed seams and still provides
      outstanding sun protection after years of washing even
      though I usually dry it on the delicate cycle. It
      does have light staining on the upper shoulders from
      my backpack. I was initially concerned that the
      additional row of stitching across the shoulder blades
      (where the mesh is attached to the lower shirt) would
      cause chafing under the weight of a pack but I have
      had no problems. I have worn this shirt wet to stay
      cool during hiking and yard work and it still provides
      great sun protection. I use it as an overshirt in the
      spring and fall and wear it alone in the summer. The
      long tails keep the shirt tucked in even with a pack
      on. Except during the winter, the shirt is one of the
      items that goes on every backpacking trip. At 7 oz
      (198 g), the Safari Shirt fits well into my
      lightweight backpacking philosophy and packs down to
      the size of a softball. The vented fabric keeps me
      cool even in the hot, humid Georgia summers and I can
      wear it on most summer days without overheating. When
      the temperature reaches the 90 degree F (32 C) mark
      and the humidity is also high, the shirt is too hot
      and the venting just can't keep up. Then again, I
      haven't found a fabric that can. The shirt dries very
      quickly but does hold the hiker funk a little more
      than other shirts but not to the degree of Capilene.
      The price may seem high but the quality of this
      product has made me consider it a worthwhile
      investment.

      Summary

      I really like this shirt. I know there are less
      expensive shirts but I'm still carrying this one when
      others have ripped and frayed.

      Things I like:
      1. Very durable material
      2. Quality workmanship