Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Field Report: Black diamond Lighthouse - JIM

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1 10:14 AM
      In a message dated 6/30/2004 11:25:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      nazdarovye@... writes:
      I'll second that - wow, WOW!

      Fantastic picture (and makes me very nostalgic for the Adirondacks...
      ########

      Thanks! Sure is a purty spot, ain't it?

      Jim S.

    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1 10:20 AM
        In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:15:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        amytys@... writes:
        Third! Esthetically speaking, That's the best damn picture I've
        seen in ANY of the reports. I've gotta go get the wife and have her
        check it out.

        Doesn't score a buttload of points for highlighting tech info on the
        product (e.g. interior space, features, etc) but you can't beat it
        for marketing. I feel like I could WALK INTO that picture.

        hehe... just can't make me 100% happy.

        Looks like the tent is on a slope. Any sleeping pad sliding going
        on?
        ######

        Thanks, Andy! High praise!

        As you noted, not much help from a technical point, but how could I not put
        it in? Besides, I figure with a photo that good, maybe I wouldn't have to write
        so much! ; )

        The slope was quite minor. Same for my spot in the Catskills. I could see how
        sliding might be an issue, but I've been fortunate to date and not
        experienced any. Part of this is due to the fact that I scope out the slope prior to
        setting up the tent and place the sleeping pad on the low side of the tent, so
        there is really no place for it to go.

        Jim S.

      • JimSabis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1 10:46 AM
          In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:22:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          amytys@... writes:
          I've got two zippers on each panel. So, to close the outide EPIC
          door from the inside, w/o letting in the bugs, I just move the two
          zippers of the inside (screen) door together, move them in a given
          direction until they come into contact with the zipper of the EPIC
          door, then open a tiny hole between the two zippers and pull the
          cord that's attached to the outside zipper in through the hole - in
          fact, each zipper has a pull cord on it - and then move all three
          zippers until the door is closed.

          Of course, you've got ten-feet of zipper on these panels. As Dennis
          will tell you, the zip-fest that can occur with the Lighthouse can
          really keep the neighbors up, or wake 'em from their sleep.
          ######

          Andy,

          This is exactly why I noted it, it is a real PITA! If I'm getting up in the
          middle of the night to do this, I'm going to be WIDE awake. Not something I
          necessarily want at 3 am! ; )

          Like you, I did not notice the design issue right away. In fact, it wasn't
          until it became an issue that the design change dawned on me. What you will
          (probably) find is that what your other tents do is place the screened panel right
          into the main door, with a continuation of the door fabric able to be
          zippered over the screen to seal it. The screens generally are placed on the outside
          of the door panel, allowing the ventilation to be adjusted from inside the
          tent without having to mess with the screen or open the door. ALL my other tents
          are set up this way. The potential downside of this design is that the zipper
          is a potential leak source. This may be the reason why BD went for totally
          seperate panels. Both zippers lie fully within the awning flap.

          Jim S.

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6 8:40 PM
            > Third! Esthetically speaking, That's the best damn picture I've
            > seen in ANY of the reports. I've gotta go get the wife and have
            > her check it out.

            It is a fine picture. Bex has one in one of her tent reports that is really
            good as well. I can't remember which...

            Shane
          • JimSabis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7 9:58 AM
              In a message dated 7/6/2004 11:40:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              shane@... writes:
              > Third! Esthetically speaking, That's the best damn picture I've
              > seen in ANY of the reports. I've gotta go get the wife and have
              > her check it out.

              It is a fine picture. Bex has one in one of her tent reports that is really
              good as well. I can't remember which...

              Shane
              ####

              Great. Now I've got to go look for it!

              Jim S.

            • Shane
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 7 10:10 AM
                > It is a fine picture. Bex has one in one of her tent reports that is
                really
                > good as well. I can't remember which...
                >

                > Great. Now I've got to go look for it!

                It was the Hex 2.

                http://tinyurl.com/2oeze

                My 'moon over Virga' wasn't too bad, but not on the same level as either of
                these. I wish Bex's picture was larger like yours.

                Shane
              • JimSabis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 7 11:22 AM
                  In a message dated 7/7/2004 1:22:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  shane@... writes:
                  > Great. Now I've got to go look for it!

                  It was the Hex 2.

                  http://tinyurl.com/2oeze

                  My 'moon over Virga' wasn't too bad, but not on the same level as either of
                  these. I wish Bex's picture was larger like yours.

                  Shane

                  ####

                  There are several nice shots in that report. I like the one of the tent lit
                  up from the inside, very homey!

                  Jim S.

                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 7 6:37 PM
                    At 11:40 AM 7/07/2004, you wrote:
                    > > Third! Esthetically speaking, That's the best damn picture I've
                    > > seen in ANY of the reports. I've gotta go get the wife and have
                    > > her check it out.
                    >
                    >It is a fine picture. Bex has one in one of her tent reports that is really
                    >good as well. I can't remember which...

                    GoLite I think it was.

                    Andrew