RE: [BackpackGearTest] Editorial question about owner reviews

  • Rami
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hello Hai,

      I'm not an editor (but I play one from test to test) but I can answer
      this question for you.
      Do your own review.
      Even if your experience overlaps in some areas with another review,
      yours is unique and should be documented as such. Even if all of the
      reviews for a given product are positive (or negative) that is valuable
      information for consumers and should be posted.

      Welcome to the group and have fun writing your OR!

      Rami
      (tester and sometimes test monitor)

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        At 10:05 PM 1/07/2004, you wrote:
        >I've owned an Optimus Nova for 4 years and I was going to write a
        >review of the stove, but noticed that Thomas Lindemuth has already
        >written up an excellent review of the stove. I have used the stove in
        >a wide variety of conditions and have managed to break one stove which
        >was replaced under warranty. So I have some additional comments to
        >make about it that Thomas did not cover. Instead of writing a new
        >review from scratch and repeating much of the information that Thomas
        >has already written in his review, I was thinking that I would just
        >write a "follow-up" review to piggy back on his. What are the
        >editor's feelings on this? Would you rather that I write a full
        >review from scratch, or can I refer to Thomas' review and build on it?

        Hi Hai Pham

        I would be great if you wrote another review on the stove, however, as is
        our policy your review should be a stand alone review, reflecting your
        writing style, your experiences. This the same approach as we take with our
        Test Reports. Each user has their own perspective, their own usage. The
        more reviews and reports the better as it gives a greater coverage of the
        real use of the product in the field.

        I look forward to seeing your review.

        Regards
        Andrew Priest