[EDIT] OWNER REVIEW - Brunton Lamplight LED Flashlight and Lantern [Lee Parker]

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi Lee!

      Thank you for your owner review on the Brunton Lamplight LED Flashlight
      and Lantern. You have the makings of a very good owner review here. My
      edits and comments below are aimed to help you mold this review a little
      bit, so that it will conform to the requirements of backpackgeartest.org.
      In general, your wording has a little bit of a marketing cadence to it,
      which is not what we are all about. You are also missing a section. All
      this is spelled out in my edits below.

      When you have edited your report to your liking, simply send it to the
      list again with the word "REPOST" added to the subject line. Once your
      review is approved you will receive upload instructions for placing the
      review on backpackgeartest.org.

      Thanks Lee! You are on the right track. I look forward to reading your
      updated review.

      James T.
      BGT Edit Moderator

      ++++++edits++++++

      BRUNTON LAMPLIGHTâ"¢ LED FLASHLIGHT AND LANTERN
      [COMMENT] I like to see "Owner Review by: Lee Parker" under the title.

      Backpacking Background
      I first began hiking when I was about seven years old in the Ozark and
      Quachita Mountains of Arkansas. My first long distance backpacking trip
      was at the age of fourteen with the Boy Scouts in North Carolina. We hiked
      fifty miles (81 km) in five days, most of us with canvas rucksacks
      (aluminum frame packs were still relatively rare). It is still one of the
      most memorable hikes I have ever been on.

      Since then my hikes have ranged from the Rockies in Colorado to the
      Appalachians in Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and New Hampshire with
      numerous short hikes in Wilderness Areas all over the United States. Some
      memorable recent hikes include trips to Savage Gulf, Tennessee; Slickrock
      Wilderness Area, North Carolina; and a New Years Day summit of Mount
      Washington in New Hampshire. Although I hike year round, I prefer the
      winter season for its lack of heat, lack of bugs and lack of people on the
      trails. I generally hike solo or with my two sons.

      If I am not hiking in my free time, I am working on trail projects for the
      Florida Trail Association where I am a Section Leader developing a thirty
      mile (48.3 km) section that isn�t completed yet. As you might imagine,
      my gear sees a lot of wear and tear.
      [EDIT] Briefly stated, your background information section is too long.
      It all seems to pertain to your backpacking experience, so I'll have to
      let you decide what is important and what can be cut. You say a little
      bit about style (solo, prefer winter) but that area could be enhanced
      (tent or tarp, lightweight, etc.) This should be one paragraph with a few
      sentences. You can look at a good example by Rick Allnutt at this
      location: <http://tinyurl.com/2qcat>

      * Bulb: White LED (lasts forever, in Brunton's words)
      * Burn time: 200+ hours (with brightness decreasing in intensity as
      batteries are depleted)
      [COMMENT] Since the burn time is right after the bulb info, you might say
      "Battery life" instead of "Burn time" so we don't confuse it with bulb
      life..

      its not just for finding things around the campsite.
      [EDIT] "its" should be "it's"

      Product Description
      The Brunton Lamplight is a tiny but powerful LED lamp and flashlight in a
      single unit. Brunton managed to focus a single LED light into a highly
      focused beam with the Lamplight. Unlike many single LED flashlights, it
      provides plenty of light for finding a trail in the darkness, its not just
      for finding things around the campsite. Raising the flashlight housing
      converts the Lamplight into a soft glow lantern for reading in your tent
      or just socializing. The Lamplight makes use of an efficient LED to
      achieve a stunning 200 hours of operating time off of the 3 included AAA
      batteries.
      [EDIT] Are these your words or Brunton's? It theirs... say so. If
      yours... you need to say "according to Brunton" or otherwise change this
      to put it in the proper context. The line "for reading in your tent or
      just socializing" is you telling the reader what their experience will be
      - which is projecting and not allowed. You need to convey your experience
      only.

      and the modern industrialized metal grip feels strong in your hand.
      [EDIT] Same projecting comment as above.
      [EDIT] Why do you say "modern"
      [COMMENT] I might change this to say something like : "the metal grip
      has a nice strong feel to it."

      Field information
      [EDIT] This section is missing. From the survival guide:
      Field information
      - Location or locations where the test was conducted
      - Description of location (mountains, elevation, terrain, etc.)
      - Weather conditions (temperature, precipitation, etc.)

      Reviews & Awards
      "Brunton's Lamplight pulls double duty as a flashlight for twilight wood
      gathering and a lantern with 360 degrees of alpenglow." - 2004 Outside
      Magazine Buyer's Guide
      [EDIT] This should be removed. It has nothing to do with your experience
      with the light.

      The Lamplight is constructed of Blue polymer and durable milled aluminum.
      [EDIT] How do you know it is durable? Sounds like a marketing word. You
      can say "it appears to be durable", or "it has stood up to much abuse".
      [EDIT] "Blue" should not be capitalized.

      Here the Lamplight is pictured in its flashlight conficuration.
      [EDIT] configuration

      It's light weight allows me to carry it in my pocket around the campsite
      without any discomfort.
      [EDIT] "It's" should be "Its"

      Since I am frequently cooking in the dark, it is nice to have it ready to
      hand instead of hunting for it in my pack.
      [EDIT] I would change "ready to hand" to "ready at hand"

      +++end of edits+++

    • L. Clayton Parker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2004
        BRUNTON LAMPLIGHT™ LED FLASHLIGHT AND LANTERN

        Tester Bio

        Name: Lee Parker
        Age: 45
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6' 0" (1.8 m)
        Weight: 160 lbs (72.5 kg)
        Email address: l_parker@...
        City, State, Country: Destin, Florida, U.S.A.
        Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2004

[...]

        Product Information - Brunton Lamplight™ LED Flashlight and Lantern

        Brunton Website: www.brunton.com

        "Two lights in one... a bright, focused flashlight to find the trail,
        and a soft glow lantern for reading in your tent. It's as rugged as all
        get out and it looks super-cool at high speeds!" - from the Brunton
        Website.
        * Dimensions:
        * Closed: 4.25"x 1.25" (10.8 x 3.17 cm)
        * Open: 5.25" x 1.25" (13.34 x 3.17 cm)
        * Weight:
        * Without batteries: 2.1 oz (59 gm)
        * With 3 AAA batteries: 3.0 oz (86 gm)
        * Easy on/off switch
        * 3 Panasonic AAA Batteries included
        * Bulb: White LED (lasts forever, in Brunton's words)
        * Burn time: 200+ hours (with brightness decreasing in intensity
        as batteries are depleted)
        * Power:
        * Flashlight: 100 lux @ 1 meter (9.29 foot-candles)
        * Lantern: 0.5 lux @ 1 meter (0.046 foot-candles)
        * Hanging/wrist lanyard

        Product Description
        The Brunton Lamplight is a tiny but powerful LED lamp and flashlight in
        a single unit. Brunton managed to focus a single LED light into a highly
        focused beam with the Lamplight. Unlike many single LED flashlights, it
        provides plenty of light for finding a trail in the darkness, it is not
        just for finding things around the campsite. Raising the flashlight
        housing converts the Lamplight into a soft glow lantern for reading in
        your tent or just socializing. The Lamplight makes use of an efficient
        LED to achieve a stunning 200 hours of operating time off of the 3
        included AAA batteries.

        The flashlight comes with a lanyard for easy wrist attachment or for
        hanging, and the modern industrialized metal grip feels strong. This is
        probably the most useful light I have ever owned.

        Reviews & Awards
        "Brunton's Lamplight pulls double duty as a flashlight for twilight wood
        gathering and a lantern with 360 degrees of alpenglow." - 2004 Outside
        Magazine Buyer's Guide

        Product Evaluation
        The Lamplight is constructed of blue polymer and durable milled
        aluminum. Although lightweight, it has a sturdy, durable "feel". Here
        the Lamplight is pictured in its flashlight configuration. Twisting the
        knurled blue switch at the top provides a strong bright-white
        directional light with no "bulb circle" circle or dead zone. The switch
        is clearly marked "On" and "Off" with small arrows pointing in the
        appropriate direction to twist.

        Here the Lamplight is pictured in its lamp configuration. The
        conversion from flashlight to lantern is made by sliding the blue
        housing up which then clicks into place. Conversion back to a
        flashlight is made by sliding the blue housing back down.

        In the photo at right, the battery compartment of the Brunton Lamplight
        has been removed and is positioned to the right of the Lamplight. The
        battery compartment is contained in the bottom part of the Lamplight and
        is easily accessed by twisting off the small blue cap that is pictured
        at the bottom of the photo. The cap is marked with an "Open" and
        "Closed" position so there is no uncertainty. All 3 AAA batteries fit
        in the black battery compartment pictured.

        Field Testing
        I have taken the Lamplight on every hiking trip I have been on since I
        purchased it almost a year ago. It has gone from sea level to over a
        mile high in rain, snow and mud. I have used it on the trail, in camp
        and around the house. Even so, I have yet to wear out the batteries or
        view any sign of diminishing brightness. I particularly like the fact
        that its light weight allows me to carry it in my pocket around the
        campsite without any discomfort. Since I am frequently cooking in the
        dark, it is nice to have it ready to hand instead of hunting for it in
        my pack.

        It has provided plenty of light to find my way to the water source, the
        privy area and once at least, to actually hike on the trail. My one
        weight extravagance has been to carry an Uco Candle Lantern to read by
        in the tent at night. The lamplight is not only lighter, it provides
        more light and a longer "burn" time. The provided batteries are standard
        AAA cells made by Panasonic. If and when they wear out, I will replace
        them with photo lithium batteries. This should increase the burn time
        even further.

        I have used it in my tent at night to read and even to play cards by
        although I will say that it does not provide quite enough illumination
        on its own to light up an entire three man mountaineering tent.

        Bottom Line: Rugged, tiny, portable and efficient.