RE: [BackpackGearTest] Initial Report for Equinox Katahdin Pack - Michael Lissner

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      > Well, at long last, I have done the following:
      > 1. Graduated from college.
      > 2. Trained for work.
      > 3. Conquered my viris problem.
      > 4. Moved to Berkeley
      > 5. Gotten my new computer set up.
      > AND
      > 6. Written my Initial Review.

      Cool. What's next? Are you gonna cure cancer? ;)

      Shane
    • Michael Lissner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
        <shane@t...> wrote:
        > > Well, at long last, I have done the following:
        > > 1. Graduated from college.
        > > 2. Trained for work.
        > > 3. Conquered my viris problem.
        > > 4. Moved to Berkeley
        > > 5. Gotten my new computer set up.
        > > AND
        > > 6. Written my Initial Review.
        >
        > Cool. What's next? Are you gonna cure cancer? ;)
        >
        > Shane

        ###

        Only time will tell...I probably need to do some studying before then...

        -mike
      • Cora
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          Thanks, Mike.
          I am glad things are finally working out and settling
          down for you. I hope Berkeley is treating you well.
          It seems like you've done a lot of great research for
          this IR, good work. My Edits and Comments follow.
          -Cora

          > Advertised Weight: 264 g (22 oz)*

          Edit: 22 oz is not 264 g

          > Measured Weight: ?????????????????**

          Edit: Please actually put a weight here for upload :)

          > the Equinox web-site, the weight is not given. On
          > the Campmor
          > web-site, the weight is given as 709 g (25 oz). On
          > backcountrygear.com, it's given as 567 g (20 oz).
          > The weight I have
          > listed above is what Equinox put on their hang tag
          > which came with the
          > pack.

          Comment: BGT tends to try to stay away from mentioning
          vendors in this way. Equinox shouldn't need to be
          held accountable for the errors of their retailers,
          and so just putting the advertised weight on the hang
          tag would be sufficient.

          > five pockets in all: One central pocket that opens
          > at the top with a
          > drawstring for dumping all of your big items into;

          Edit: Bringing the style over from owner review
          editing, the word "you" and all derivatives should not
          be used in reviews. It has been viewed to be
          equivalent to projecting. You can simply replace all
          the uses of it with "me", "my" and derivatives. Of
          course, when you are telling your reader to look at
          pictures and whatnot, it's fine; just avoid it in
          telling the reader what they should/n't do with gear.

          > My other
          > pack, the Granite
          > Gear Vapor Trail is made from a heavier weight of
          > the material, and it
          > has held up beautifully,

          Comment: This is getting sort of close to a shoot-out.
          Perhaps consider saying simply that you have another
          pack with similar, heavier material and that it has
          done fine?

          > material also seems kind of unusual to me, but,
          > having never had an
          > ultralight pack before, it could just be something I
          > have never seen.

          Comment: Just a note (don't want to impinge on style),
          but you just mentioned above that you use the Vapor
          Trail, which is pretty lightweight. I sure did a
          double take when you said you never owned such a pack.

          > and some stakes and then tighten the strap, the
          > stakes will get
          > smashed into the DEET and the compass, potentially
          > creating all kinds
          > of navigational and messy problems.

          Comment: I didn't quite catch this... did you
          actually experiment with DEET and stakes, or are you
          projecting?

          > about them though: If
          > you put small or skinny things in them, these items
          > will fall out
          > through the mesh.

          Edit: Another case of the dreaded "you"...

          > can be adjusted vertically to create accomodate a

          Edit: ...accommodate...

          > ice ax loop and D rings on the shoudler straps. It

          Edit: ...shoulder...
        • Michael Lissner
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
            See responses below...

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Cora <cahhmc@y...> wrote:
            > Thanks, Mike.
            > I am glad things are finally working out and settling
            > down for you. I hope Berkeley is treating you well.

            ####It is indeed. Very well in fact. I do love the summertime.

            > It seems like you've done a lot of great research for
            > this IR, good work. My Edits and Comments follow.
            > -Cora
            >
            > > Advertised Weight: 264 g (22 oz)*
            >
            > Edit: 22 oz is not 264 g

            ####Fair enough...

            > > Measured Weight: ?????????????????**
            >
            > Edit: Please actually put a weight here for upload :)

            ###Yup.

            > > the Equinox web-site, the weight is not given. On
            > > the Campmor
            > > web-site, the weight is given as 709 g (25 oz). On
            > > backcountrygear.com, it's given as 567 g (20 oz).
            > > The weight I have
            > > listed above is what Equinox put on their hang tag
            > > which came with the
            > > pack.
            >
            > Comment: BGT tends to try to stay away from mentioning
            > vendors in this way. Equinox shouldn't need to be
            > held accountable for the errors of their retailers,
            > and so just putting the advertised weight on the hang
            > tag would be sufficient.

            ####I wondered about this when I included it. It's fixed in the new
            version.

            > > five pockets in all: One central pocket that opens
            > > at the top with a
            > > drawstring for dumping all of your big items into;
            >
            > Edit: Bringing the style over from owner review
            > editing, the word "you" and all derivatives should not
            > be used in reviews. It has been viewed to be
            > equivalent to projecting. You can simply replace all
            > the uses of it with "me", "my" and derivatives. Of
            > course, when you are telling your reader to look at
            > pictures and whatnot, it's fine; just avoid it in
            > telling the reader what they should/n't do with gear.

            ###After having written a few owner reviews, I have the you/your fears
            well engrained in my mind, so I knew I was breaking rules when I wrote
            this. I thought I might be able to get away with it since it is so far
            removed from real projecting. Ah well. It's been fixed.

            > > My other
            > > pack, the Granite
            > > Gear Vapor Trail is made from a heavier weight of
            > > the material, and it
            > > has held up beautifully,
            >
            > Comment: This is getting sort of close to a shoot-out.
            > Perhaps consider saying simply that you have another
            > pack with similar, heavier material and that it has
            > done fine?
            >
            > > material also seems kind of unusual to me, but,
            > > having never had an
            > > ultralight pack before, it could just be something I
            > > have never seen.
            >
            > Comment: Just a note (don't want to impinge on style),
            > but you just mentioned above that you use the Vapor
            > Trail, which is pretty lightweight. I sure did a
            > double take when you said you never owned such a pack.

            ###Since I no longer say that my other pack is a GG Vapor Trail (b/c
            of the comment you made above), this isn't as much of a problem, but
            from what I understand, an ultralight pack usually weighs in at closer
            to one pound, whereas the Vapor Trail weighs in at 2, a lightweight pack.

            > > and some stakes and then tighten the strap, the
            > > stakes will get
            > > smashed into the DEET and the compass, potentially
            > > creating all kinds
            > > of navigational and messy problems.
            >
            > Comment: I didn't quite catch this... did you
            > actually experiment with DEET and stakes, or are you
            > projecting?

            ###I guess I am projecting, but only in so much as I would do if I
            were to say that a knife can cut the material. I'll make it more
            obvious nonetheless.

            > > about them though: If
            > > you put small or skinny things in them, these items
            > > will fall out
            > > through the mesh.
            >
            > Edit: Another case of the dreaded "you"...

            ###Noted.

            > > can be adjusted vertically to create accomodate a
            >
            > Edit: ...accommodate...

            ###Noted

            > > ice ax loop and D rings on the shoudler straps. It
            >
            > Edit: ...shoulder..

            Thanks for the edits. I am glad they got to me tonight, as tomorrow I
            am headed out to test the pack. The file should be uploaded tomorrow,
            once I have weighed the pack.

            -mike