Re: Initial Report - MSR OverLand Carbon Trekking Poles - Shane

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <ckime@n...> wrote:
      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...>
      wrote:
      > > Attached is my Initial Report for the MSR OverLand Carbon
      Trekking
      > > Poles.
      >
      > > As promised in my test application, I will be comparing these
      > > poles to my
      > > current pair of Leki Ultralite Ti poles, especially since they
      > are
      > > both
      > > advertised as Ultralight telescoping poles.
      > >
      > > Here is a side by side comparison of features as advertised
      and
      > > measured:
      >
      > Shane,
      >
      > While using prior experience with other products as the basis for
      > your conclusions is acceptable, a side-by-side comparison is
      > verboten. For example, I can say that the Gregory Z-Pack is much
      > lighter than my ALICE pack, and can carry much more than my Deuter
      > Futura 32, but my mention of these other packs is just to give
      > readers a general frame of reference. A side-by-side comparison
      is
      > akin to a shootout, which is something we try to avoid at BGT.
      >
      > IMO, you should re-write to remove direct, measured comparisons
      from
      > your report, although indicating that baskets attach differently
      on
      > MSR poles than they do on LEKI poles seems OK to me.
      >
      > Moderator input, please.
      >
      > Fuzzy
      > MSR OverLand Monitor

      Fuzzy,

      I appreciate your review of my Initial Report and will take your
      input, and that of the moderators, and apply it as neccessary.

      Being my first test, I am open to suggestions and expect to be
      making errors, so thanks for the quick response.

      I'll be OOP in one week and need to get as much feed back as
      possible to complete my report and have it approved by June 4th.
      I'll be OOP until the 24th of June.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
        At 11:03 PM 01/06/2004, you wrote:
        >Shane,
        >
        >While using prior experience with other products as the basis for
        >your conclusions is acceptable, a side-by-side comparison is
        >verboten. For example, I can say that the Gregory Z-Pack is much
        >lighter than my ALICE pack, and can carry much more than my Deuter
        >Futura 32, but my mention of these other packs is just to give
        >readers a general frame of reference. A side-by-side comparison is
        >akin to a shootout, which is something we try to avoid at BGT.
        >
        >IMO, you should re-write to remove direct, measured comparisons from
        >your report, although indicating that baskets attach differently on
        >MSR poles than they do on LEKI poles seems OK to me.
        >
        >Moderator input, please.

        What you said Fuzzy.

        Andrew Priest

        http://BackpackGearTest.org

      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest
          <apriest@b...> wrote:
          > At 11:03 PM 01/06/2004, you wrote:
          > >Shane,
          > >
          > >While using prior experience with other products as the basis for
          > >your conclusions is acceptable, a side-by-side comparison is
          > >verboten. For example, I can say that the Gregory Z-Pack is much
          > >lighter than my ALICE pack, and can carry much more than my Deuter
          > >Futura 32, but my mention of these other packs is just to give
          > >readers a general frame of reference. A side-by-side comparison
          is
          > >akin to a shootout, which is something we try to avoid at BGT.
          > >
          > >IMO, you should re-write to remove direct, measured comparisons
          from
          > >your report, although indicating that baskets attach differently
          on
          > >MSR poles than they do on LEKI poles seems OK to me.
          > >
          > >Moderator input, please.
          >
          > What you said Fuzzy.
          >
          > Andrew Priest

          Ok, I've taken the recommendation to remove the comparison and
          edited the IR.

          The edited version is posted in
          http://backpackgeartest.org/review/test/TESTS/ OR at
          http://tinyurl.com/22ptp

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
            Should have changed the subject to indicate the report was updated.

            Shane "Mirage"...