IR - Canyon Kegs - Jason

  • Jason Boyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      Sorry this is so late, I still don't have my home computer issues
      resolved.. A HTML version is posted at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Canyon%20Kegs/

      Jason

      Imlay Canyon Gear – Canyon Dry Keg
      Initial Report – May 29, 2004

      Tester Information:

      Name: Jason Boyle
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 6"/ 1.68 m
      Weight: 170 lb/ 77 kg
      Email address: c4jc@...
      City, State, Country: Waldorf, Maryland, U.S.

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been camping and backpacking for about 15 years. I started
      with the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and hiked mostly in the
      southeastern United States (Florida, Alabama, Georgia). Later, I
      went to college in Connecticut and became versed in the New England
      outdoors. I currently live near Washington D.C. and hike and
      backpack in the Mid Atlantic Mountains. I have been section hiking
      the Appalachian Trail and have completed all of the Connecticut and
      Maryland sections, and I am currently working on the Virginia
      section. I used to carry everything and the kitchen sink, but I have
      become weight conscious in recent years and have attempted to lighten
      my load.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Imlay Canyon Gear
      Model: Canyon Dry Keg
      Size: 6.4 L (1.7 gal) / 3.5 L (.92 gal)
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Listed weight:
      For the 6.4 L model 15.0 oz (425 g)
      For the 3.5 L model 12.4 oz (352 g)
      Measured weight:
      For the 6.4 L model 15.0 oz (425 g)
      For the 3.5 L model 12.0 oz (340 g)
      The lid alone: 3.0 oz (85 g)
      **Disclaimer: the closest my scale will measure is in whole ounces**
      MSRP:
      For the 6.4 L model: $23.95 U.S.
      For the 3.5 L model: $19.95 U.S.

      Measurements:
      Listed/Measured
      For the 6.4 L model: Height: 10-5/8" (27 cm)/ 10-1/2" (27
      cm) to the top of the lid
      Diameter: 7-3/4" (20
      cm)/ too difficult to measure accurately
      Mouth Opening: 5-1/4"
      (13 cm)/ 5-1/4" (13 cm)
      Maximum Usable Depth: 9-
      5/8" (24 cm)/ 9-3/8" (24cm)

      For the 3.5 L model: Height: 6-3/4" (17 cm)/ 6-7/8" (17 cm)
      Diameter: 7-3/4" (20 cm)/
      too difficult to measure accurately
      Mouth Opening: 5-1/4" (13
      cm)/ 5-1/4" (13 cm)
      Maximum Usable Depth: 5-
      3/4" (14 cm)/ 5-3/4" (14 cm)

      Arrival:

      The kegs were waiting on the front porch when I arrived home. They
      where shipped in a single box that was actually two boxes combined.
      The shipping label had no information that the package was from
      Imlay, but upon opening it was clear who the box was from. There was
      nothing else in the box with the kegs, including no packing of any
      sort. The kegs themselves arrived in a new condition with no dirt or
      dings on them.

      The kegs are made of a polyethylene plastic by Curtec, a
      plastics manufacturer in Holland and imported by Imlay for use in the
      United States. Each keg is cylindrical in form with a midsection
      that is wider than either end. The main body of the keg is white and
      smooth. The bottom of each keg is concave and has a small lip that
      will allow the kegs to be stacked on top of one another. There is a
      small hole molded into the body of the keg right below the lid that a
      small line can be passed through to secure the keg if necessary.
      The screw top lid is made of the same plastic as the body and is red
      in color. The top of each lid has a ½" (1.3 cm) lip on top and then
      is concave. There are four 2-3/4" (7 cm) handles molded to the
      outside of the lid that make an x-pattern. Each handle has two small
      holes, one at each end that can be used to attach a line or string to
      the keg. The lid has a rubber gasket embedded in the lip to
      completely seal the keg and make it watertight. The lids are
      interchangeable working with either size keg.
      The only obvious marking is the 1-1/4" by 7" (3 cm x 18 cm) sticker
      on each keg. The background of the sticker is an orange color with
      the Imlay Canyon Gear symbol in yellow and white and the words "Imlay
      Canyon Gear" written in yellow. The writing in the center of the
      sticker flows vertically and says " Specialized Gear for
      Extraordinary Places" in small black letters with "Canyon Dry Keg"
      written in large white print below it and the website in small black
      letters on the bottom. The right side of the sticker has a black
      square with the size of the keg written in yellow. The bottom of
      each keg has the non-obvious markings such as manufacturer
      information and other markings that have significance to the makers,
      but not to me as the tester.

      Initial Impressions/Use:

      The kegs were what I was expecting based on the information
      and pictures on the website. My first thoughts were now what do I do
      with these? So I took them canoeing on the Potomac River and
      Antietam Creek and learned several good uses for them:
      The kegs are supposed to be waterproof so I figured they
      would be good at carrying stuff that I did not want to get wet. I
      packed the 6.4 L keg with the following items: a 24" x 40" (61 cm x
      102 cm) towel, a 5.5" x 4" (14 cm x 10 cm) notebook, pen, 10.64 fl oz
      (315 ml) bottle of suntan lotion, 2 granola bars, a cliff bar, a
      package of peanut butter crackers, and my truck key fob. It all fit
      with little room to spare. Next, I tried to figure out how I would
      attach the kegs to the canoe. There are very small holes pressed
      through each end of the handles. I tried to use some small nylon
      line that I had around and it would not fit through the hole, the
      sheathing on the line was to large. The only thing I could fit
      through the hole was some standard kite string. Using that I created
      a webbing to be able to clip the keg into the canoe.
      I used the smaller keg (3.5 L) for a multitude of different
      things on the trip. The first use was as a cooler. It easily held
      four diet cokes and ice. It doesn't have the same insulating
      properties as a regular cooler, but it did a great job!
      Neither keg was float tested on the first day of canoeing,
      they just had some water splashed on them from scouts in the other
      canoes and from the paddles as I switched from side-to-side
      paddling. I checked the keg with my dry stuff in it and there were
      no leaks and nothing was wet. The smaller keg was wet, but I had ice
      and diet coke in it, so I expected it to be wet.
      The second day of canoeing provided a chance to float test a
      keg. I only took the smaller keg (3.5 L) since I would be leaving to
      go home after the run and did not need any of the stuff in the larger
      keg. I only placed my sunglasses and a pair of keys in the smaller
      keg. After the first rapid though it was quickly put into use as a
      bailing bucket, instead of just holding equipment. My canoeing
      partner weighed a good seventy pounds more than me and that caused
      the bow to be submerged when we hit the first rapid. It proved to be
      very handy as a bailing bucket, but it could not be used as a bailing
      bucket and gear storage at the same time, so I had to hold my
      sunglasses and keys as my partner bailed our canoe. Once the water
      was bailed, I put me gear back in to the keg and reattached it to the
      canoe.
      About two hours into the trip the keg was finally float tested. I
      misjudged a log and the bow missed it, but the stern didn't and we
      were tipped. We rescued the canoe and contents and there was the keg
      floating keeping the contents high and dry. There were several more
      rapids that day and the keg was used to bail each time, an unplanned
      use that turned out to be very beneficial!
      Upon examination at the end of the trip, I noticed that there were
      several scrape marks on the small keg, but nothing that would hinder
      the function of the keg.

      Improvements:

      Based on the amount of testing already done, I have a few
      areas that I would make the keg easier to use. The first is to make
      the holes larger on the lid, or on the body of the keg so that a
      heavier piece of line can be used for securing the lid to a canoe or
      raft. Since I used the lid to secure the keg to the canoe, I had to
      unscrew the body of the keg to access the contents. I couldn't just
      spin the lid off. If I there had been heavier equipment in the keg I
      would not have been able to easily unscrew the body.

      Testing Plan:

      Specific things I will look for, however, this list is not all-
      inclusive:

      Durability:
      How strong is this thing? If I cinch down my pack will it cause the
      keg to deform? Is the lid stay snug once it is screwed on? Is the
      surface of the canister easily marred?

      Convenience:
      How easy are the kegs to use with my pack? Can I stuff them inside
      my pack or can I somehow hang them on the outside. Can I use a
      normal marker or do I need to use a special marker to label the keg?

      Uses: Can I hag the Kegs and use them as bear kegs? Will they work
      as "dry bags" while canoeing/rafting? How well do they protect my
      food/delicate equipment? How much stuff can I fit in a keg?

      Thanks again to BGT.org and Imlay Canyon Gear for the opportunity to
      participate in this test.
    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
        Following are EDITS (musts), Edits (shoulds), and Comments
        (considers):

        > Measurements:

        ###Comment: This section (HTML version) has some lines which start
        indented and wrap to the left side of the next line. It appears this
        is because blank spaces ( ) were used instead of something like
        tables. Specifically, the CAPITAL WORDS below appear at the far right
        side of my screen. I suspect this will vary depending on the reader's
        screen resolution.

        > For the 6.4 L model: Height: 10-5/8" (27 cm)/ 10-1/2"
        (27
        > cm) to the top of the
        LID
        > Diameter: 7-3/4" (20
        > cm)/ too difficult to measure
        ACCURATELY

        > Diameter: 7-3/4" (20
        cm)/
        > too difficult to measure
        ACCURATELY

        > Arrival:
        >
        > They where shipped in a single box that was actually two boxes
        combined.

        ###EDIT: "They WERE..."

        ###Comment: I don't really follow how one box wasx actually two boxes
        combined. Do you mean they were shipped in two boxes that were
        taped/bound into one package for shipping?

        > The kegs are made of a polyethylene plastic by Curtec, a
        > plastics manufacturer in Holland and imported by Imlay for use in
        the United States.

        ###Edit: There should be a comma after "Holland," since you don't
        mean the Curtec was imported by Imlay for use in the U.S.

        > The kegs are supposed to be waterproof so I figured they
        > would be good at carrying stuff that I did not want to get wet. I
        > packed the 6.4 L keg with the following items: a 24" x 40" (61 cm x
        > 102 cm) towel, a 5.5" x 4" (14 cm x 10 cm) notebook, pen, 10.64 fl
        oz
        > (315 ml) bottle of suntan lotion, 2 granola bars, a cliff bar,

        ###EDIT: I think you mean "Clif bar."

        > I tried to use some small nylon
        > line that I had around and it would not fit through the hole, the
        > sheathing on the line was to large.

        ###EDIT: "...TOO large."

        > Neither keg was float tested on the first day of canoeing,
        > they just had some water splashed on them from scouts in the other
        > canoes and from the paddles as I switched from side-to-side
        > paddling.

        ###Edit: I'm not sure, but I think this should be "side to side
        paddling" without the hyphens. You switched from side to side, rather
        than from side-to-side paddling to another form of paddling.

        > Improvements:
        >
        > Based on the amount of testing already done, I have a few
        > areas that I would make the keg easier to use.

        ###EDIT: Either delete the last "I" ("I have a few areas that would
        make the keg easier to use." or add something after "make" like "I
        have a few areas that I would make to make the keg easier to use."
        The first is probably cleaner. Also, you might change "areas"
        to "things" or something similar.

        > Convenience:
        > Can I stuff them inside my pack or can I somehow hang them on the
        outside.

        ###EDIT: Change the period to a "?"

        > Uses: Can I hag the Kegs and use them as bear kegs?

        ###EDIT: Change "hag" to "hang."

        > Thanks again to BGT.org and Imlay Canyon Gear

        ###EDIT: "BGT.org" is a website not related to BackpackGearTest.
        Although we abbreviate it in our discussions, for the formal report
        either spell it out or at least delete the ".org" to avoid confusion.

        Thanks. Please upload to the web when the appropriate changes have
        been made.

        Bill Jeffrey
        BGT Imlay Canyon Dry Kegs Monitor
      • Jason Boyle
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
          Thanks for the edit's Bill, I will change it today and upload it on
          Monday (I still have no computer access at home... Verizon is not
          high on my favorites list right now). I will be OOP this weekend I
          will be backpacking in Shenandoah National Park.. and true to my luck
          it went from a nice weekend at the begining of the week to rain all
          weekend..

          I checked the HTML report in the BGT.org test folder and it looks
          normal to me, nothing is wrapped and it is were it is supposed to
          be? I am not sure what the problem is?

          Jason