BGTers spotted on the PCT - Andrew & Karin Claus

  • AsABat
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2004
      I was in Kennedy Meadows this weekend, nibbling away at another
      section of the Pacific Crest Trail while visiting with the thru-
      hikers herd. I saw Andrew & Karin Claus, who are doing fine and still
      walking towards Canada.

      Bill Jeffrey
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2004
        > I was in Kennedy Meadows this weekend, nibbling away at another
        > section of the Pacific Crest Trail while visiting with the thru-
        > hikers herd. I saw Andrew & Karin Claus, who are doing fine and
        > still walking towards Canada.

        Sounds like fun, Bill! I've been following thier journal, and really
        enjoying it. If anyone else wants to follow 'em, you can do so here:

        http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1913

        Shane
      • AsABat
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2004
          > Sounds like fun, Bill! I've been following thier journal, and
          really
          > enjoying it. If anyone else wants to follow 'em, you can do so
          here:

          > http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1913

          Arr, my name's in print! It was a fun weekend, meeting many I'd met
          at the border six weeks ago, and others I've been hiking with
          vicariously through their journals.

          Bill (AsABat)
        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
            I got back from hiking the Grand Canyon (of Pennsylvania) last night
            in time for a party given on behalf of an old friend who moved the
            Pacific NW. He tells me that a fifty-mile section of the PCT was
            washed out earlier this year up in that neck of the woods. I've not
            heard anything about this up until now. Anyone care to comment?

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, " AsABat" <wjj2001@y...> wrote:
            > I was in Kennedy Meadows this weekend, nibbling away at another
            > section of the Pacific Crest Trail while visiting with the thru-
            > hikers herd. I saw Andrew & Karin Claus, who are doing fine and still
            > walking towards Canada.
            >
            > Bill Jeffrey
          • Rick D.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
              There was extensive flood damage and there are some reroutings
              because of it. I don't know whether it adds up to fifty miles. Some
              of the worst damage was in the Glacier Peak area.

              You can look here for more:

              http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/pct/

              Also, check with the PCT Association.

              --Rick

              <erd@w...> wrote:
              > I got back from hiking the Grand Canyon (of Pennsylvania) last night
              > in time for a party given on behalf of an old friend who moved the
              > Pacific NW. He tells me that a fifty-mile section of the PCT was
              > washed out earlier this year up in that neck of the woods. I've not
              > heard anything about this up until now. Anyone care to comment?

            • ciyd01
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
                It's true, but it's only 30 miles. Rerouted along some roads and
                other trails. I mentioned it when the call to test the Washington
                PCT Handbook came out. Lots of trails in Northern Washington and the
                Olympic Penninsula were severely damaged or destroyed last October.
                We had 8 inches of rain in 24 hours, which was bad enough by itself,
                but it also caused signficant melting of snow and ice which
                compounded the flooding. The photos of the damage are pretty
                amazing. For pretty current trail info for many of the trails in
                Washington state, including the PCT, check out the Washington Trails
                Association www.wta.org. "The trails along the detour route are not
                constructed and maintained to the same high standard as the PCT.
                Users can expect high fords until mid August, and trail sections that
                are steep, rough, brushy, and difficult to follow. These detour
                trails require a higher skill level for hikers."

                For more on the PCT:
                http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?0+pr+10044

                kelli

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Rick D." <redbike64@z...>