Deuter Selections

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2004
      I'm having brain mush this last two weeks. I'd have SWORN that I did the
      Deuter notifications. Anyway, the Deuter pack testers have been selected
      and notified. It was a near thing on the 50+10s...

      Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 Backpack testers are:

      Jodi Cornelius
      Kelli Wise
      Rick Dreher

      Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 Backpack testers are:

      Josh Dunning
      Louis Luangkesorn
      Shane Steinkamp

      Thanks!

      Shane
      BGT Moderator
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2004
        > Where should measurement start? Where the top of the hand hits
        > the handle?
        >
        > Where should measurement stop? Before the carbide tip?
        >
        > Any suggestions or reference to past threads where this was
        > discussed are appreciated.

        It is as long as it is.

        How would you measure a walking stick you would find in the woods?

        End to end.

        Realistically, that's the only number that's going to make sense to a
        reader.

        Shane
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2004
          I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the Speer
          Frog Sacs.

          I know everybody is out playing on the long weekend (except for us
          Moderators who are slaving away...) and I know that everybody is pretty
          loaded up, but I'd like to get some testers for these by Wednesday night.

          I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...

          Shane
        • Rick
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2004
            Shane wrote about the length of a walking stick:

            >It is as long as it is.
            >
            >How would you measure a walking stick you would find in the woods?
            >
            >End to end.

            I measured my MSR Carbon pole length: I set both extensions to 120, and
            the tip to tip length was 120 cm to within a mm.

            Rick
          • Jodi Cornelius
            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2004
              Just got home from NJ about an hour ago and will be applying for these
              shortly.

              Jodi

              I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the Speer
              Frog Sacs.

              I know everybody is out playing on the long weekend (except for us
              Moderators who are slaving away...) and I know that everybody is pretty
              loaded up, but I'd like to get some testers for these by Wednesday night.

              I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...

              Shane

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

            • Emma Eyeball
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                the Frog Sac looks like a super neat idea, but there is no way i
                could test a 45 degree bag (i'm an icicle). so when they come out
                with a 20-degree version...

                -c.

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                <shane@t...> wrote:
                > I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the
                Speer
                > Frog Sacs.
                > I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...
                >
                > Shane
              • Rebecca
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                  I was supposed to be working this weekend? Ooops. I was up in the
                  mountains drinking snow daquiris by a lovely lake. I mean, I was slaving
                  away gear testing. Yeah, that's it.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                    In a message dated 5/31/2004 3:39:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    shane@... writes:

                    > I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the Speer
                    > Frog Sacs.
                    >
                    > I know everybody is out playing on the long weekend (except for us
                    > Moderators who are slaving away...) and I know that everybody is pretty
                    > loaded up, but I'd like to get some testers for these by Wednesday night.
                    >
                    > I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...
                    >
                    > Shane

                    ########

                    Hey! I was out testing gear, dodging blackflies and mosquitos while
                    searching for the elusive lake trout (who remains elusive!), all while zipping around
                    in Lost Pond Boat canoes and sleeping in Lighthouses. A great, but hard, (2.25
                    mile carry!) weekend and lots of mail to read. I'll try to have an app in
                    tommorrow night.

                    Jim S.

                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                      > I was supposed to be working this weekend? Ooops. I was up in
                      > the mountains drinking snow daquiris by a lovely lake. I mean, I
                      > was slaving away gear testing. Yeah, that's it.

                      You're just the favorite right now. You'll get your turn on the dogpile...

                      ;)

                      Shane
                    • Andrew Priest
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
                        At 03:23 AM 01/06/2004, you wrote:
                        > > Where should measurement start? Where the top of the hand hits
                        > > the handle?
                        > >
                        > > Where should measurement stop? Before the carbide tip?
                        > >
                        > > Any suggestions or reference to past threads where this was
                        > > discussed are appreciated.
                        >
                        >It is as long as it is.
                        >
                        >How would you measure a walking stick you would find in the woods?
                        >
                        >End to end.
                        >
                        >Realistically, that's the only number that's going to make sense to a
                        >reader.

                        I would agree 100% with Shane, but ask that you clearly state how you have
                        measured the poles. I think the clarification is important in light of
                        Tom's comments about apples and oranges. You should also state the
                        manufacturer's measurement.

                        Andrew Priest

                        http://BackpackGearTest.org

                      • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
                          I'm back in the pocket for the day. I AM GOING (as opposed to am going
                          to try, positive thinking and all) post my Aloksak report that has been
                          edited. If time permits I will submit an application for the stove. I
                          am back out of Pocket again for a short trip to Los Angeles to pick my
                          parents up from the airport, back here tonight and then Wed. morning I"m
                          off for a two day back country trip. I will not return until either
                          Friday morning in which case I will be OOP again for the weekend or
                          possibly Monday morning. (If I do not return to work on Friday). All
                          this being said I may or may not be available to respond to
                          acceptance/rejection of my applications over the next week.
                          To add to all of this my dog decided to take of on Friday afternoon
                          and has not returned. He is not at any of the local vets or pounds so I
                          can only believe that he is stuck in a strangers backyard or he has
                          taken himself on an extended walk about. In the midst of my obligations
                          out of town I am doing everything I can to find him. If the stars line
                          up, the gods smile, luck falls my way, and some other lucky thing
                          happens I will post my report, turn in an application, find my dog, get
                          my parents, transfer work responsibilities, make the back country trip
                          all without a hitch. The only part of this thing that's really hard is
                          the missing dog.
                          Anyhow, that is my life in a nutshell over the next week, I'll stay
                          in touch when possible and respond to anything I need to and am able
                          to. I'll be around all day today and I'll try to touch base on Friday
                          if I come home or find myself near a computer. You all play nice this
                          week. Hope everybody had a great Memorial Day weekend here in the
                          states and a great weekend in general around the world.

                          Tom Peltier II