Treeking pole lenght measurement standards?

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2004
      While completing mt IR for the MSR OverLand Carbon trekking poles,
      it occured to me that I was getting widely different lengths from
      the MSR advertised ones.

      Is there a standard or well understood and agreed opinion on where
      the measurements should be taken?

      Do I start at the top of the hand grip pommel and go to the end of
      the carbide tip? If I do that, I'm getting 2-4 cm longer
      measurements than those advertised.

      Where should measurement start? Where the top of the hand hits the
      handle?

      Where should measurement stop? Before the carbide tip?

      Any suggestions or reference to past threads where this was
      discussed are appreciated.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2004
        I'm having brain mush this last two weeks. I'd have SWORN that I did the
        Deuter notifications. Anyway, the Deuter pack testers have been selected
        and notified. It was a near thing on the 50+10s...

        Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 Backpack testers are:

        Jodi Cornelius
        Kelli Wise
        Rick Dreher

        Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 Backpack testers are:

        Josh Dunning
        Louis Luangkesorn
        Shane Steinkamp

        Thanks!

        Shane
        BGT Moderator
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2004
          > Where should measurement start? Where the top of the hand hits
          > the handle?
          >
          > Where should measurement stop? Before the carbide tip?
          >
          > Any suggestions or reference to past threads where this was
          > discussed are appreciated.

          It is as long as it is.

          How would you measure a walking stick you would find in the woods?

          End to end.

          Realistically, that's the only number that's going to make sense to a
          reader.

          Shane
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2004
            I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the Speer
            Frog Sacs.

            I know everybody is out playing on the long weekend (except for us
            Moderators who are slaving away...) and I know that everybody is pretty
            loaded up, but I'd like to get some testers for these by Wednesday night.

            I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...

            Shane
          • Rick
            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2004
              Shane wrote about the length of a walking stick:

              >It is as long as it is.
              >
              >How would you measure a walking stick you would find in the woods?
              >
              >End to end.

              I measured my MSR Carbon pole length: I set both extensions to 120, and
              the tip to tip length was 120 cm to within a mm.

              Rick
            • Jodi Cornelius
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                Just got home from NJ about an hour ago and will be applying for these
                shortly.

                Jodi

                I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the Speer
                Frog Sacs.

                I know everybody is out playing on the long weekend (except for us
                Moderators who are slaving away...) and I know that everybody is pretty
                loaded up, but I'd like to get some testers for these by Wednesday night.

                I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...

                Shane

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • Emma Eyeball
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                  the Frog Sac looks like a super neat idea, but there is no way i
                  could test a 45 degree bag (i'm an icicle). so when they come out
                  with a 20-degree version...

                  -c.

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                  <shane@t...> wrote:
                  > I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the
                  Speer
                  > Frog Sacs.
                  > I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...
                  >
                  > Shane
                • Rebecca
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                    I was supposed to be working this weekend? Ooops. I was up in the
                    mountains drinking snow daquiris by a lovely lake. I mean, I was slaving
                    away gear testing. Yeah, that's it.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                      In a message dated 5/31/2004 3:39:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      shane@... writes:

                      > I have one application for the Vargo Traid Stoves, and two for the Speer
                      > Frog Sacs.
                      >
                      > I know everybody is out playing on the long weekend (except for us
                      > Moderators who are slaving away...) and I know that everybody is pretty
                      > loaded up, but I'd like to get some testers for these by Wednesday night.
                      >
                      > I'd test 'em myself, but I'm full up too...
                      >
                      > Shane

                      ########

                      Hey! I was out testing gear, dodging blackflies and mosquitos while
                      searching for the elusive lake trout (who remains elusive!), all while zipping around
                      in Lost Pond Boat canoes and sleeping in Lighthouses. A great, but hard, (2.25
                      mile carry!) weekend and lots of mail to read. I'll try to have an app in
                      tommorrow night.

                      Jim S.

                    • Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2004
                        > I was supposed to be working this weekend? Ooops. I was up in
                        > the mountains drinking snow daquiris by a lovely lake. I mean, I
                        > was slaving away gear testing. Yeah, that's it.

                        You're just the favorite right now. You'll get your turn on the dogpile...

                        ;)

                        Shane
                      • Andrew Priest
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
                          At 03:23 AM 01/06/2004, you wrote:
                          > > Where should measurement start? Where the top of the hand hits
                          > > the handle?
                          > >
                          > > Where should measurement stop? Before the carbide tip?
                          > >
                          > > Any suggestions or reference to past threads where this was
                          > > discussed are appreciated.
                          >
                          >It is as long as it is.
                          >
                          >How would you measure a walking stick you would find in the woods?
                          >
                          >End to end.
                          >
                          >Realistically, that's the only number that's going to make sense to a
                          >reader.

                          I would agree 100% with Shane, but ask that you clearly state how you have
                          measured the poles. I think the clarification is important in light of
                          Tom's comments about apples and oranges. You should also state the
                          manufacturer's measurement.

                          Andrew Priest

                          http://BackpackGearTest.org

                        • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
                            I'm back in the pocket for the day. I AM GOING (as opposed to am going
                            to try, positive thinking and all) post my Aloksak report that has been
                            edited. If time permits I will submit an application for the stove. I
                            am back out of Pocket again for a short trip to Los Angeles to pick my
                            parents up from the airport, back here tonight and then Wed. morning I"m
                            off for a two day back country trip. I will not return until either
                            Friday morning in which case I will be OOP again for the weekend or
                            possibly Monday morning. (If I do not return to work on Friday). All
                            this being said I may or may not be available to respond to
                            acceptance/rejection of my applications over the next week.
                            To add to all of this my dog decided to take of on Friday afternoon
                            and has not returned. He is not at any of the local vets or pounds so I
                            can only believe that he is stuck in a strangers backyard or he has
                            taken himself on an extended walk about. In the midst of my obligations
                            out of town I am doing everything I can to find him. If the stars line
                            up, the gods smile, luck falls my way, and some other lucky thing
                            happens I will post my report, turn in an application, find my dog, get
                            my parents, transfer work responsibilities, make the back country trip
                            all without a hitch. The only part of this thing that's really hard is
                            the missing dog.
                            Anyhow, that is my life in a nutshell over the next week, I'll stay
                            in touch when possible and respond to anything I need to and am able
                            to. I'll be around all day today and I'll try to touch base on Friday
                            if I come home or find myself near a computer. You all play nice this
                            week. Hope everybody had a great Memorial Day weekend here in the
                            states and a great weekend in general around the world.

                            Tom Peltier II