Difference in HH's

  • Bryan Signorelli
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
      Hi guys,

      Im new to this group and have been reading the posts on the testing
      going on with the HH, very nice.

      I have been looking at the HH for several months now, kinda day-
      dreaming. What I am wondering is, REI has them on sale for 65
      dollars. But there are two of them and they are colored yellow/yellow
      and yellow/blue. Do you know of any difference in the two color
      schemes?

      I know that these are the heavier 2.25 lb models (as compared with
      the ultralight ones some of you are testing) but how do they compare
      with the ultralight as far as durability is concerned?

      As a college student, it pays to make the best investment that I can.

      I guess what Im askign is...

      Since the heavier ones are cheaper right now, are they the better buy
      for someone wanting to lighten my load (current tent is about 7.5
      lbs) but still have a long lasting product?

      Thanks

      Bryan

      ps- My primary backpacking area is Louisiana, Arkansas, and
      Mississippi, so snow concerns arent really there.
    • Robert Stanley
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2000
        Hi Bryan,

        There shouldnt be any difference between the 2 color schemes of the REI
        Hennessy's, just different colors is all.

        As far as I know REI only carries the Original Hennessy Hammock (A great
        piece of gear!), but just in case, read the labels, if they are different
        models (and I doubt it) from the original it will be on the label.

        And for 65 bucks you cant loose no matter what model you get from the
        original on up the line!

        Rob Stanley

        > Im new to this group and have been reading the posts on the testing
        > going on with the HH, very nice.
        >
        > I have been looking at the HH for several months now, kinda day-
        > dreaming. What I am wondering is, REI has them on sale for 65
        > dollars. But there are two of them and they are colored yellow/yellow
        > and yellow/blue. Do you know of any difference in the two color
        > schemes?
        >
        > I know that these are the heavier 2.25 lb models (as compared with
        > the ultralight ones some of you are testing) but how do they compare
        > with the ultralight as far as durability is concerned?
        >
        > As a college student, it pays to make the best investment that I can.
        >
        > I guess what Im askign is...
        >
        > Since the heavier ones are cheaper right now, are they the better buy
        > for someone wanting to lighten my load (current tent is about 7.5
        > lbs) but still have a long lasting product?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bryan
        >
        > ps- My primary backpacking area is Louisiana, Arkansas, and
        > Mississippi, so snow concerns arent really there.

      • Jack Voss
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2000
          Bryan <bsignorelli@... 11 December, 2000 10:11:44 PM> asked about "Staying dry in rain storms:"

          I camped in Lake Superior Provincial park three months ago, and we had a HEAVY rainstorm overnight. I had positioned an auxiliary rainfly over the hammock, and sustained no leakage. Before that, I had gotten mist blown into the hammock. In my experience, the very ends of the rain fly are way too narrow and pointed. A rain fly should have lots of overhang to keep the occupant dry in windy-rainy conditions.

          It's true that you can re-rig the fly to seal out most rain & wind, but not, of course, without first getting out into the rain and wind. And then after you re-enter the sealed up hammock, you may be in a sauna. I intend to add some "wings" onto the ends of the fly. These will expand the ends out to about 2'-3' wide, and extend back along the edge about 2' towards the center. I will tie them to the tree, and put a stick between them to extend them out somewhat horizontally. This will provide area to stop rain, and allow breeze.

          My experience is, that a rain fly should provide several services:
          Shelter from the rain - when desired
          Shelter from the wind - when desired
          Open area for breeze & ventilation - when desired
          I find difficulty with catenary cut flies - they look neat but can fall short of providing the shelter needed. The closer to rectangular a fly is, the better it is able to provide the required shelter.

          If I were a back packer, I would go for the Ultra Light Hennessy Hammock. I camp in a kayak, and use the standard hammock. Fantastic piece of gear - and it will be even better (only in my opinion) with the wings added to the rain fly. I camp in a kayak, and carry an auxiliary rain fly from <cookecustomsewing.com>. It is what I have found to work well for me.

          Respectfully,

          Kayak Jack
          Doing what you like is FREEDOM
          Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
        • amytys@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2000
            Bryan,

            I just picked up two of the $65 sale units at REI. My color
            selection was between yellow/yellow, and forest green/forest green.

            I took the green/green option - I'm hoping to not only adhere to LNT
            ideals, but not clutter up the scenery for anyone passing by the
            campsite. I have to believe that the yellow color could be seen from
            a hundred feet away, assuming the forest was not too dense.

            I read your post before a few days ago, so I made sure to inspect
            each hammock option carefully.

            I'm pleased to report that, outside of colors, there are no
            differences between the two.

            --- In BackpackGearTest@egroups.com, "Bryan Signorelli"