APPLICATION TO TEST ULA H20 Amigo Gravity Feed Water Filtration System - Jodi

  • J Cornelius
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004
      I missed out on the other Sechelle filter - and have been impressed with the
      reports on it thus far and would appreciate being considered for this filter

      Please review and accept my application to test the ULA H20 Amigo Gravity
      Feed Water Filtration System. I have read the Survival guide 1202 and in
      particular chapter 5 and agree to follow all guidelines within. I have also
      sent in my signed agreement.

      Personal biographical information

      Name – Jodi Cornelius
      Age - 42
      Gender - Female
      Height - 5’3” (1.60m)
      Weight - 160 (73kg)
      Email address – bpskids at charter dot net
      Derrick City, PA 16727

      Backpacking background – I have been backpacking for 2 years now and before
      that I car camped quite a bit. I consider myself somewhat new to backpacking
      and am on my way towards becoming a lightweight packer. I hike in the
      Alleghany National Forest and along many of the loops that can be found in
      the State park. I prefer overnight trips to day trips because I love to camp
      but I hate just finding one spot to camp and staying there with little to
      do. I love to hike to a spot and park it for the evening, then get up and do
      it all over again. I average around 8 miles/13 kilometers a day depending on
      terrain. I'm never in a huge hurry to get where I'm going because usually I
      don't know where that is. My favorite type of hiking trail is the loop
      because then I can park my car and not worry about getting a ride back to it

      Test Plan – I currently use a PuR® Hiker filter. The constant pumping
      action, while not a hardship, is a pain in the arm. I have been looking at
      the gravity type filters for quite a while now and this would give me the
      opportunity to test one and compare, for myself, the differences along with
      the pros and cons to both. I would be using the filter in creek streams for
      the most part with the occasional jaunt to some local lakes. I will also be
      using this filter to filter water for just myself and, in other hikes,
      fellow hikers.

      If selected for this test I would look for the following:
      I would be checking for filtering times to see how closely they follow
      website claims. Also, to see what changes different types of water (more
      silty, clear, etc) affects the filter. How sturdy are the lines connecting
      to the bag for holding the water? Do the lines pull on the fabric? If the
      lines are connected to grommets, do the grommets hold well? Does the fabric
      resist tearing with hoisting up to 12 lb/5.44 kg into the air? How easy is
      it to hang the bag high enough for the gravity to do its thing? How high
      DOES it need to be to filter water most efficiently? Also, although I didn
      t see anything in particular on the "germ" scale, we DO have quite a bit of
      giardia in our waters. The website claims to filter 99.8% of waterborne
      contaminants - I WILL be able to tell if giardia is covered or not at least
      in one of my trips planned. ;-)

      I will be hiking the Morrison Trail in the Allegheny National Forest along
      with Tracy Ridge loop and the Johnnycake Trails that connect to the North
      Country Trail in the Allegheny National Forest. Altitude will range from
      600 ft/183 m to 2400 ft/732 m and will be able to see if there is any
      difference (although unlikely) there is between those altitudes. The
      terrain will be from fairly easy hiking to clambering over rocks, through
      brush, and some "decent" ups and downs. The temperatures will range from 35
      F/1.67 C to 90 F/32 C (give or take 5 or 10 degrees - most summers the temps
      range as stated but lately the summer temps here in the Allegheny Mountains
      has managed to reach over 100 F/38 C. Hopefully that is NOT the case this
      summer!)

      Thank you for considering me for this test.

      All Tests
      All of my tests can be seen at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/search.php?search=Jodi+Cornelius

      Finished Tests

      Wild Roses Sedona Rose P-Tights
      Deuter Futura 32 Daypack
      Adventure Medical kit .9 Ultralight
      Rite in the Rain Adventure Travel Journal
      Sawyer Insect Repellents
      Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Shirt

      I am monitoring the Black Diamond Zenix Headlamp. http://www
      backpackgeartest
      org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Black%20Diamond%20Zenix/

      And the Ibex Climacore Ribbed Woolies
      http://www.backpackgeartest
      org/reviews/Clothing/Underwear/Ibex%20Climacore%20Ribbed%20Woolies/

      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet!