Application to test Keen Newport Sandal

  • Laurie Corbin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004
      I am submitting this application to test the Keen
      Newport H2 sandal (color plum). I have read the BGT
      survival guide v. 1202 and agree to comply with the
      requirements. My Tester Agreement is currently on
      file. Thank you for the opportunity to apply.

      Personal Information:

      Name: Laurie Corbin
      Age: 39
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 6"
      Weight: 135 lbs.
      Shoe size: 8.5 US
      Email: mslimpsalot@...
      City, State: Cumming, GA
      Date: May 1, 2004

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking and hiking in college and, after a
      hiatus, returned when I could no longer ignore the
      call of the outdoors. I am a four season backpacker
      and avid dayhiker who tries to get out three to four
      times a month. Because of an old ankle injury, I have
      been forced to adopt the lightweight approach to
      backpacking. I am sure the ankle would appreciate
      ultralight more but I do enjoy the bug-free comfort of
      a tent. I currently hike in Montrail Excellerace XCR
      lightweight dayhiking boots, but find my feet get very
      hot. I hike mostly in the Southeast U.S.

      Field Information:

      If selected, I would test these sandals on trails
      throughout Georgia, the Carolinas and Tennessee. They
      would also be used on whitewater rafting trips and
      general day to day walking around. In the spring
      through fall, I usually wear my Teva sandals all the
      time. A toe guard would be a welcome addition. I
      maintain a section of the Appalachian Trail here in
      Georgia and would welcome these on maintenance trips.
      I recently began hiking in lightweight boots and think
      the sandals would be the next step toward really
      lightweight hiking.

      Test Considerations:

      1) Durability�Can these sandals stand up to almost
      constant use during the test period without fraying
      stitches or cracking soles?

      2) Fit�Are they, as Keen claims, a perfect fit out of
      the box? Will the toe guard or ankle straps rub
      blisters? Will trail debris be a problem forcing me
      to wear socks?

      3) Traction�Do the outsoles provide sufficient
      traction on river crossings, wet, mossy rocks and
      muddy downhills?

      Thank you for considering my application.

      Previous Tests:

      Owner Review: REI Half Dome Plus 2 tent
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/REI%20Half%20Dome%20Plus%202/Owner%20Review%20by%20Laurie%20Corbin/

      Owner Review: Marmot Angel Fire sleeping bag
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/Marmot%20Angel%20Fire/Owner%20Review%20by%20Laurie%20Corbin/