OWNER REVIEW - EMS SUMMIT GTX BOOTS

  • percious17
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004
      OWNER REVIEW:
      EMS Summit GTX

      REVIEWER INFORMATION:
      Name: Christopher Perkins
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 168 lbs (76 kg)
      Email Address: chris(at)percious.com
      City, State, Country: Vernon, CT, USA
      Date 01 May, 2004

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking for over 3 years now,
      with extensive exploration of the Adirondacks. I have also hiked
      the Long Trail in Vermont, as well as some of the White Mountains.

      In general I select challenging hikes with large elevation gains. I
      often hike in and make a base camp, and do day hikes from there. I
      am however no stranger to carrying heavy loads over large distances.

      PRODUCT INFORMATON
      Manufacturer: EMS
      Year of Manufacture: 2002
      Measured Weight: 4.58 lb (2.08 kg) (size 8)
      Manufacturer listed weight: 2.625 lb (1.019 kg)

      Boot Design
      Boots are constructed with two main leather panels, and a gussetted
      tongue. Laces are held fast with 4 D-rings, one locking clip, and
      two free clips on the upper part of the boot. The boot has all
      leather uppers. The sole is semi-stiff Vibram with an aggressive
      tread. Within the boot is a Gortex shell liner. The boot comes with
      felt insoles.

      Boot Use
      I have used these boots in all conditions, from rain to snow to hot
      summer days. They have also served as my "daily drivers." They have
      be worn on the sharp rocks of the White Mountains, as well as the
      muddy spring valleys that the Adirondacks provide.

      Comfort and Fit
      These boots fit me very well out of the box. I have very small feet
      for my height, relatively high arches, and what is known as a low
      volume foot. These are the only boots I have found that do not give
      me blisters on my heels. Please note that the sizing tends to run a
      size smaller than you usually wear. (I wear a size 9 Adidas running
      shoe.)

      Also note-worthy is the support which these boots offer. I have
      rolled my ankles a few times, but never had a sprain with these
      boots. The aggressive tread especially helps on bare rock.

      Break-in
      The leather on these boots does require a small amount of break-in, a
      few day hikes worth anyway. The provided insoles are especially
      harsh. I just bought my second pair of these boots, and the first
      thing I did was throw away the insoles, replacing them with some more
      comfortable ones. Break-in takes less time if you use the boots in
      wet conditions. One great thing about these boots is that EMS will
      take them back if you feel they don't fit you right after a hike or
      two.

      Summary
      These boots have performed well in a variety of conditions. If you
      have a low-volume foot, this is a perfect boot. The boot breaths
      well for a leather boot in the summer, and is warm enough for late
      fall/early spring hikes with some snow. The boots take well to strap-
      on crampons.

      Where this boot excels is in wet and muddy conditions. Coupled with
      gaiters, this boot is the best I can find for muddy spring thaw
      conditions. The Goretex shell performs well, allowing your feet to
      breath, while keeping outside moisture on the outside.

      I used these boots extensively for 2 years, probably totaling over
      1000 miles, with over 300 miles trail usage. I replaced them
      recently with the same model, only because the tread had worn out,
      and the Goretex shell had a hole in it from my wiggling big toe.

      Things I like:
      1. Excellent waterproofing.
      2. Good ankle support.
      3. Good fit for low volume feet.
      4. EMS return policy.

      Things I don't like:
      1. Poor insoles.
      2. D-rings do cut into your laces.
      3. Could be lighter.
    • Graham Blamey
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "percious17"
        <percious17@y...> wrote:
        > OWNER REVIEW:
        > EMS Summit GTX

        Hi Christopher,
        Thanks for your Owner Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
        it for a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report
        will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have
        not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the list within this
        timeframe, please let us know directly at
        apriest@....

        review. Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will
        usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
        for the official editor. Please put REVISED at the start of your re-
        post, if you take this route.

        If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the
        community! The editors will work with you, within their own time
        constraints, to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and
        uploaded in a timely manner. Once these first two Owner Reviews have
        been approved and you have submitted your Tester Agreement you will
        be eligible to start applying for Tests.

        If this is your first Owner Review, please hold off posting your
        second Owner Review until the first one has been edited. We generally
        find that often feedback on the first Review can be incorporated into
        the second one and so on thus reducing the subsequent editing and
        hopefully speeding up the approval time.

        the list or contact me directly.
        Regards,
        Graham Blamey,
        BGT Edit Moderator
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2004
          Chris,
          Thanks for the review. I've noted some edits in the text below as well
          as some questions I expect would be fairly common to expect a boot
          review to answer. I've also added some comments at the end designed to
          spur your thinking on some additional information that I think would
          help really take this review over the top.

          Don't be daunted by the comments & edits. This is fairly common in
          your first few reports until you get a sense of what kind of things
          BGT is looking for in reviews. After a couple of these, you'll be an
          old hand at it and it becomes second nature.

          Once you've taken care of these edits, please repost it to the group
          with REPOST in the subject line so I can pick it up for a quick final
          review & give you the info on where and how to upload it to BGT.

          Also, if you're interested, Stephanie's mentor group is always glad to
          give a new reviewer another set of eyes and a little assistance on the
          first few reports. Just post a request on the group & she'll set you
          up if you want.

          Thanks again for the good work,
          Jim
          Edit Moderator

          <percious17@y...> wrote:

          > Backpacking Background:

          ### A little extra here in terms of style (e.g. lightweight,
          heavyweight, avg pack size) and duration of trips is usually a good
          way to give readers a snapshot of how your experience reflects theirs.

          > Measured Weight: 4.58 lb (2.08 kg) (size 8)
          > Manufacturer listed weight: 2.625 lb (1.019 kg)

          ### Are these weights per boot or per pair? Any idea what the MSRP is?

          > tread. Within the boot is a Gortex shell liner. The boot comes with

          ### "Goretex"

          > felt insoles.

          ### Is the liner & insole removable?

          > be worn on the sharp rocks of the White Mountains, as well as the

          ### "been worn"

          > me blisters on my heels. Please note that the sizing tends to run a
          > size smaller than you usually wear. (I wear a size 9 Adidas running
          > shoe.)

          ### "size smaller than normally worn." to avoid projection

          > Also note-worthy is the support which these boots offer. I have

          ### "noteworthy"

          > rolled my ankles a few times, but never had a sprain with these
          > boots. The aggressive tread especially helps on bare rock.

          ### How high are these boots -- low like running shoes, over the
          ankle, higher?

          > comfortable ones. Break-in takes less time if you use the boots in

          ### "less time when using the boots" to avoid projection

          > These boots have performed well in a variety of conditions. If you
          > have a low-volume foot, this is a perfect boot. The boot breaths

          ### "I think that for a low-volume foot, this is a perfect boot." to
          avoid projection. Also, "breathes".

          > conditions. The Goretex shell performs well, allowing your feet to

          ### "allowing my feet to" in order to avoid projection

          > 1000 miles, with over 300 miles trail usage. I replaced them

          ### Need metric conversions for these two mileage amounts.

          > recently with the same model, only because the tread had worn out,
          > and the Goretex shell had a hole in it from my wiggling big toe.

          ### Are they not a welted construction then where the sole is sewn to
          the boot & can be replaced?

          > Things I don't like:
          > 1. Poor insoles.
          > 2. D-rings do cut into your laces.
          > 3. Could be lighter.

          ### Some other information you could add to add to the usefulness of
          this review would be commentary on maintaining the boot, how the
          leather holds up to nicks/cuts/abrasions, how long a waterproofing
          treatment lasts (& what kind you use), whether the sweat from your
          feet passes through the Goretex & leather fast enough or if you end up
          with wet socks, how long it takes to dry a pair after you go sloshing
          (& whether you do that by walking them dry or off your feet). How does
          the wear of the soles relate to your experience with other boots --
          faster, slower? Before you got these, how often did you replace your
          boots? Do you wear a single pair of socks or liners & wool hikers? How
          do they fit after a day of hiking? How quickly do they warm up on your
          feet after you've had them off in cold weather (like overnight)? This
          is the kind of information that can take a good review like yours and
          put it over the top.