SealSkinz® ChillBlocker™ Socks Field Repost (Coy Starnes)

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 6:19 AM
      Hi Steve. I found a few silly errors, like the wrong date and a few
      more so I fixed than and am reposting. I proofed it several times
      late last night but I guess a good nights rest improved my
      attention. I hate it when Andy M is right LOL

      Coy Boy

      SealSkinz® ChillBlocker™ Socks
      Initial Report
      4/29/2004

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 42
      Weight: 230 lb (104 kg)
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      E-Mail: cstarnes@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama

      Tester Bio
      I live outside a small town in northeast Alabama. I have access to a
      good hiking area right out my front door, a large tract of woods
      called Pall-Mill Hollow (pronounced holler). It has a creek flowing
      through it with several good swimming holes. Caves abound in the
      area. I spent my youth climbing around the bluffs, swimming in the
      creek and exploring the caves. I also enjoy hunting, fishing,
      canoeing, and most other outdoor activities.

      Backpacking is my favorite pastime. I consider myself a knowledgeable
      backpacker but I am not an expert. I enjoy hiking with my friends
      and family or solo. I limit my hiking to areas fairly close to home,
      usually within a day's drive of home. I hike throughout the year and
      actually hike the least in the hot humid months of summer. My style
      is slow and steady and my gear is light. However I will sacrifice
      weight for comfort and durability. A typical 3 season load for me is
      around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food or water. I usually sleep in a
      hammock and cook with an alcohol stove. My backpacking trips are
      usually 2, 3 or 4 days in length.

      Product Information
      Test item, SealSkinz® ChillBlocker™ Socks
      Manufacturer, Danalco, Inc.
      Manufacturer URL, http://www.danalco.com/
      Year of Manufacture, 2004
      Size, Large (matches mens shoe size 10-11)
      Weight, not listed
      Weight Verified, 4.8 oz (136 g)
      Color, Black (only color available)
      MSRP, $49.95 US

      Product Description
      Just looking at the ChillBlocker™ Socks laid out flat it is obvious
      they are shaped to fit a foot. Picture the letter L. They are
      substantially thick and a little stiff feeling. However, they are
      quite stretchy. At the top of the socks is a stretchy single layer
      fabric cuff. After holding them in my hands and then putting them on
      I would describe them as a cross between normal socks and neoprene
      booties. Laid out flat, the socks measure 11 in (28 cm) from the
      heel to the top and 10.5 (27 cm) in from the heel to toe. The socks
      are joined in the center with a visible seam showing inside and out.
      The seam runs from the front of the socks, down to my toe crossing at
      about the middle two toes, continues on under my foot and back up the
      back side of the socks. The outside layer of fabric is close in
      appearance to a black dress sock while the inside layer of fabric is
      fleece but bunched up so that little wave patterns are formed. I can
      stretch the sock out and make the fleece appear smooth. The
      ChillBlocker™ Socks are waterproof but breathable. See my Initial
      Report for a more detailed overview of the technical features of the
      sock.

      Testing Locations and Conditions
      Testing was conducted in the northeast Alabama and briefly in North
      Carolina on a short section of the Appalachian trail. Elevations
      ranged from around 1000 ft (300 m) ft to around 4000 ft (1200 m).
      Temperatures were mostly mild but cool on occasion ranging from 32 (0
      C) to 80 F (27 C). The ChillBlocker™ Socks also saw quite a bit of
      creek duty.

      Field Testing Results
      Testing the ChillBlocker™ Socks has been interesting. The weather
      has not been cold enough to really need the socks except for a few
      nights in my sleeping bag, but I have observed that the socks are not
      uncomfortable hot in mild temperatures. The socks also are very
      comfortable on short and long hikes with and without a pack on. I
      have also learned the socks stay up good. Each time I returned from
      a hike, I noticed a few flakes of the inner fleece had worn off. I
      say flakes because that is what it looks like.

      I had already submitted my Initial Report when I first used the
      ChillBlocker™ Socks other than a few hours puttering around in the
      house and yard. I wore them on a hike to the creek below my house
      wearing my size 11 Bite sandals. It was one of those cool mornings
      which quickly warms up. I had on sweat pants and a T-shirt, but was
      wishing for shorts by the time I reached the creek. I was carrying
      drinks for the trip and was privileged to tote a 3 year old part of
      the way. The hike was about 1 m (1.6 km) round trip. I had to wade
      in the creek to see how warm the socks felt. Of course both socks
      filled with water, due to the creek being up and the water moving
      fairly fast. But my feet stayed warm despite being soaked. I did
      not remove my sandals and try to wring the socks out but rather just
      hiked home in them wet. The sock remained comfortable on the hike
      home. It was 62 (17 C) when we returned home about 2 hours later.

      Once home, I wrung them out as gently as I could and hung them on my
      custom sock dryer sometimes referred to as an elliptical trainer. By
      turning them inside out and right side out ever few hours, they were
      almost dry by bedtime some 11 hours later.

      My next test was to find out if the sock leaked in a more controlled
      test. On March 1 I filled the bath tub with about 6 inches of cold
      water and carefully stepped over into it. It only took about 10
      seconds to notice my left foot was getting wet along the seam at the
      back of the sock just above my heel. The right sock stayed perfectly
      dry. The following day Danaclo was notified and agreed to send a
      replacement pair of socks.

      I continued to test the defective socks for normal wear by avoiding
      water until the replacement socks arrived. On my next hike it was
      really feeling like spring when I left home with the temperature at
      71 F (22 C). I wore a pair of size 11.5 NB 806 trail runners.
      During the hike which included some steep scrambles and a few briars
      I was careful not to get my socks poked but did manage to scrub them
      a bit. Upon returning home, I removed them and noted they were just
      slightly damp, as were my feet. I noticed my feet had ripple marks
      on them especially across the top or my foot. The socks did not
      slide down and they left 2 distinct rings around my leg where the
      tops of the socks were riding. While the sock felt good on this hike
      my feet felt hotter than I like which is really no surprise. The
      socks had a bit of odor but not to bad, so, I turned the sock inside
      out to dry and air out.

      My next outing came a few days later on March 10th. This time I
      walked 2 m (3.2 km) with my wife on the road. I then continued on
      down to the creek and back. It was about 60 F (16 C) during this
      hike but the ChillBlocker™ Socks only became slightly damp inside, no
      more than my cotton socks would have been. I turned them inside out,
      noticed the odor was getting stronger, and hung them up to dry.

      The next day I tried the ChillBlocker™ Socks in my size 11 EE Georgia
      Boot Eagle Lights work boots. These work boots are uninsulated but
      have a cambrella lining. I wore them all day working out in the
      yard. I was cramping in my ribs by 4 PM, but still had some fruit
      trees to prune. By the time I finished at 5 PM I was ready for bath,
      as were the socks.

      I decide to take care of it right away and rinsed them under my
      outside faucet. I then proceeded to the kitchen and in a small wash
      pan I put about 2 g (8 L) of luke-warm water and about 1 fl oz (15
      ml) of liquid clothes detergent. I swished them around, then
      reversed the sides and swished some more. After a few minutes the
      water turned a little gray, probably a combination of black dye and
      sweat. I rinsed them until I could get no suds to appear on either
      side of the socks. I then gently squeezed them as dry as I could and
      back to the custom sock dryer they went.

      My replacement ChillBlocker™ Socks arrive a few days later and I
      immediately tested them in the bath tub. No Leaks! Back to some
      serious testing.

      I won't attempt to record every hike I made while wearing the
      replacement ChillBlocker™ Socks but suffice it to say, I continued to
      use the socks for both short hikes and for sleeping in my sleeping
      bag when conditions warranted. On a trip to Rainbow Springs in North
      Carolina, I actually wore them on a fairly long hike on the
      Appalachian Trail. Wearing a 25 lb (11 kg) pack, I hiked about 3 m
      (5 km) to a camping spot and then did another 4 m (6 km) of night
      hiking with only a fanny pack. I crossed several small streams and
      wet the outside of the socks but my feet stayed dry. It was around
      45 F (7 C) during the night hiking but my feet were actually hot
      enough to sweat. I took the ChillBlocker™ Socks off a few minutes
      before bedtime and let my feet air out a little. The lining felt
      barely damp when I put them back on. It dropped to around 32 F (0 C)
      overnight. As on previous nights when I got a little cold in my
      sleeping bag, my feet remained very warm all night. It was very cool
      early on the next morning but again the ChillBlocker™ Socks were
      almost to warm for serious hiking. After about a mile (1.6 km) of
      hiking (mostly uphill), I stopped to check the socks. They actually
      steamed when I turned them inside out on a log to air them out a
      bit. I logged about 10 m (16 km) total on this overnight hike and
      the socks were comfortable, stayed up well and kept my feet warm and
      dry.

      Over the next few weeks as the weather continued to get warmer I
      finally gave up hiking in the ChillBlocker™ Socks, but still wore
      them a few times when wading in the creek below my house. I would
      wear regular socks while hiking to and from the creek, then change
      into the ChillBlocker™ Socks at the creek. The ChillBlocker™ Socks
      do not seal out water from the top so I always managed to get the
      socks soaked inside and out in just a few minutes due to splashing or
      getting in water deeper than the waterproof line of the socks.
      However, my feet always remained warm. I would return home and put
      the socks out on my deck in the sun. They would be dry in just a few
      hours if I swapped sides as soon as one side dried then flipped them
      inside out and continued to dry the inside the same way.

      On my last trip to the creek, I decided to give the ChillBlocker™
      Socks one more controlled test for waterproofness. I carefully waded
      into the creek in a shallow slow moving area, found a good rock for a
      seat and sat down for several minutes with my feet in the slow moving
      water. After about 2 minutes my left foot started feeling a little
      different than the right so I carefully removed both sock and
      confirmed the left foot was leaking a little around the heel area. I
      put both socks back on and continued to test them by carefully wading
      around in the shallow water. After another 10 minutes the right sock
      leaked slightly, but by now the left sock was pretty wet inside. I
      was surprised to find the leaks because in all my shallow stream
      wading before this both feet had remained dry. I finally took both
      socks off, captured some air in them and dunked them. I could get
      bubbles to stream out of both pair with only very light pressure.
      The left one leaked the most at the heel area, but surprisingly, both
      socks were leaking at various points all around each sock, and not
      just at the seams. I have to wonder if the twigs, sand and gravel
      accumulated along the trail and pretty much ground in while hiking in
      sandals caused the leaks away from the seam? I tried to keep the
      socks free of debris while hiking but this is almost impossible.

      After 2 months of rough treatment I have observed several good and
      bad points on the ChillBlocker™ Socks. First I have to say that for
      socks this thin, the ChillBlocker™ Socks are amazingly warm. My feet
      stayed much warmer in the ChillBlocker™ Socks than in 2 pair of (much
      thicker when combined) wool boot socks. I would also say that rough
      treatment of the socks will compromise the waterproofness. Perhaps,
      if I had worn the socks under the protection of regular hiking shoes
      or boots only, I would not have developed leaks. It is impossible to
      determine exactly what caused the leaks but I have a very strong
      suspicion that the debris in the sandals are a major reason. Biased
      on my own experience early on in the testing, the ChillBlocker™ Socks
      are great for cold weather activities when not moving around much.
      They kept my feet warm overnight (in my sleeping bag) in conditions
      when my feet are normally my Achilles Heel. I look forward to next
      winter when I can more thoroughly appreciate the warmth of the
      ChillBlocker™ Socks.
    • SF Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2004
        Hi Coy -

        Good job - and that's one extensive sock report! I especially enjoyed
        your trip/usage descriptions - clear and extensive. (And I've got to
        get one of those custom sock dryers...)

        Just a few minor edits (and a couple - the extra spaces - are probably
        just a Yahoo thing.)

        Fix and upload as you see fit - you're all set!

        Thanks,
        Steve

        Product Information
        Test item, SealSkinz® ChillBlocker™ Socks
        Manufacturer, Danalco, Inc.
        Manufacturer URL, http://www.danalco.com/
        Year of Manufacture, 2004
        Size, Large (matches mens shoe size 10-11)
        Weight, not listed
        Weight Verified, 4.8 oz (136 g)
        Color, Black (only color available)
        MSRP, $49.95 US

        EDIT COMMENT: Normally these listings use colons (e.g. "Size:"), but
        since this is a style issue, just wanted to point that out and make
        sure you meant to do it this way.

        Product Description

        At the top of the socks is a stretchy single layer
        fabric cuff.

        EDIT: "stretchy, single-layer"

        After holding them in my hands and then putting them on
        I would describe them as a cross between normal socks and neoprene
        booties.

        EDIT: Remove extra space between "and neoprene"

        Field Testing Results
        The weather
        has not been cold enough to really need the socks except for a few
        nights in my sleeping bag, but I have observed that the socks are not
        uncomfortable hot in mild temperatures.

        EDIT: "uncomfortably hot"

        The socks also are very
        comfortable on short and long hikes with and without a pack on. I
        have also learned the socks stay up good.

        EDIT: Probably best as "stay up well" (or reword to say "don't sag" or
        "don't droop"?)

        The sock remained comfortable on the hike home.

        EDIT SUGGESTION: "socks"

        My next test was to find out if the sock leaked in a more controlled
        test.

        EDIT SUGGESTION: "socks"

        The socks had a bit of odor but not to bad, so, I turned the sock inside
        out to dry and air out.

        EDIT: "not too bad"
        EDIT SUGGESTION: "turned the socks inside out"

        These work boots are uninsulated but have a cambrella lining.

        EDIT: remove extra space between "uninsulated but"
        EDIT QUESTION: Regarding the lining, do you mean Cambrelle? I did a
        Google search and came up with many more listings for Cambrelle than
        Cambrella, which I'd never heard of (learn something new every day!)
        Either way, it seems to be a trademarked name, so it should be
        capitalized.

        By the time I finished at 5 PM I was ready for bath,
        as were the socks.

        EDIT: "ready for a bath"

        I decide to take care of it right away and rinsed them under my
        outside faucet.

        EDIT: "I decided"

        I swished them around, then
        reversed the sides and swished some more.

        EDIT SUGGESTION: "swished the socks around" since socks weren't
        mentioned yet - though it's pretty clear what you meant!

        It is impossible to
        determine exactly what caused the leaks but I have a very strong
        suspicion that the debris in the sandals are a major reason.

        EDIT: "debris...is a major reason"

        [End of edits. And nice pun with "Achilles heel", Mr. Coy.]
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2004
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye
          <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Coy -
          >
          > Product Information
          > Test item, SealSkinz® ChillBlocker™ Socks
          > Manufacturer, Danalco, Inc.
          > Manufacturer URL, http://www.danalco.com/
          > Year of Manufacture, 2004

          > EDIT COMMENT: Normally these listings use colons (e.g. "Size:"),
          but
          > since this is a style issue, just wanted to point that out and make
          > sure you meant to do it this way.

          Hi Steve

          Thanks for the edit. All spot on. I put commas here to avoid the
          extra box Mozilla Composer puts in my Table if I choose : for the
          seperator. It finds the : behind http in the web address and cuts the
          web address here. If you noticed I used : in my personal info
          section because I use a , between Grant, Alabama. I would have
          three boxes on this line if I used , every time for the seperator.
          I need to remember to remove them all up in the upload, though I fail
          to sometimes. In other words I shoud remove all : and , after words
          and let the Table boxes sereve thier purpose.

          procedeing to fix and upload.
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2004
            Shandra, in some kind of strange fit of stupidity, I accidentally deleted
            your Frogg Toggs IR.

            Would you please upload it again - and forgive me?

            Shane
          • SF Nazdarovye
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2004
              Ahhh..that explains it! Thanks - now I know.

              You put a lot of work into this one - good stuff. I'll look forward to
              reading through the gloves one, too.

              - Steve

              On May 1, 2004, at 6:56 PM, Coy wrote:

              > I put commas here to avoid the
              > extra box Mozilla Composer puts in my Table if I choose : for the
              > seperator.
            • Shandra
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2004
                Shane, I saw that and it's ok - I needed to re-upload anyway because my
                link on my report wasn't clickable. It's funny how things work
                sometimes. Shandra