IR - Frogg Toggs pro sport suit

  • Shandra Hunt
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2004
      Here's my initial report for the Frogg Toggs Pro Sport suit. Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks, Shandra

      Frogg Toggs Pro Sport Suit - Initial Report

      Name: Shandra Hunt

      Age: 25

      Gender: female

      Height: 5' 3"(1.6 m)

      Weight: 145 lbs.(66 kg)

      Location: Ben Lomond,California

      Email:jns170@...

      Date:4/25/04

      Biography:

      Growing up in the Santa Cruz mountains, I have always been an avid hiker and camper. Only recently however, I have evolved into a backpacker. I started backpacking about two years ago. Since then I have done many trips throughout California and I also spent five days packing in the Grand Canyon which fueled my love for the sport even more. I try to backpack as often as possible, I think I may be addicted, and I am constantly looking for more efficient and lightweight alternatives for the gear that I own.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: frogg toggs outerwear

      Manufacturer's listed weight: 11.5 oz (326 g)

      MSRP: $84.95 (U.S.)

      Fabric: Polypropylene

      Size: Medium

      Color: Blue

      Initial Description:

      I received this suit via UPS ground on April 22, 2004. Upon opening the box which has a shipping weight of 2 lbs (.91 kg), I was pleasantly surprised. I found the contents of the box to be intact, undamaged and packaged very nicely. Frogg Toggs has a very nice, quality catalog that they included along with a stuff sack for the rain suit, which measures14 in.(35.5 cm) long and about 21 in.(53 cm) in diameter. The company sent along a bonus, one of their Chilly pad sports towels, which is a very cool item. After I have used the sports towel for awhile, I will follow up with an owner review.

      When I opened the rain suit, I was surprised by the fabric that it is made from. When I viewed this product on the website, it was hard to tell what the fabric would be like. The rain suits that I have had in the past have been a plastic type material, which is what I was expecting. The Frogg Toggs Pro Sport suit is a very different sort of fabric, the polypropylene is sort of crinkly but also somewhat soft at the same time. In my opinion, this fabric doesn't look like it could be waterproof at all! I had researched this suit on the company's website but I found it to be far better than I had expected. Upon first inspection, there seem to be no defects and the suit looks well made. I, of course, had to immediately try it on. The full length parka is a little long on me but the arm length fits well. The parka is large enough that I can fit any type of clothing underneath, even a large jacket.

      I tried the pants on over a pair of baggy jeans and had no problem with the fit in the waist. I have short legs, a 29 in.(74 cm) inseam, and always have a hard time finding pants the right length. These pants are a little too long but I found that by rolling them over once, which is how I have to wear the pants from my current rain suit, that the length is not a problem.

      Product Description:

      The Frogg Toggs Pro Sport suit is guaranteed by the company to be "waterproof, windproof, and breathable". The Pro Sport suit is made from three-ply polypropylene fabric that is supposed to be waterproof and breathable. The seams are ultrasonically welded for added strength and waterproofness. This suit is ultra lightweight at only 11.5 oz. (326 g) and designed to provide "unrestricted movement and comfort."

      The Parka:

      The full length parka has several nice features. The parka has a large hood with a 2 in. (5 cm) front bill and a drawstring closure. There are two exterior side pockets. These pockets are about 10 in.(25 cm) wide and 6-8 in. (15-20 cm) deep. The pockets have zippers that are covered with a flap and secured by Velcro. The pockets are hard to access so far, the Velcro on the flaps is very strong and the edges are sewn, which makes the zipper hard to access. I will see if the Velcro loosens up over time. The front of the parka also has a zipper with a Velcro secured flap, again the Velcro here is a little tough to open.. The bottom of the parka has a barrel lock waist drawstring to cinch in the waist and the wrists have a 1 in.(2.5 cm) elastic band cuff. The arms of the parka are not stitched on but rather "ultrasonically welded". The rest of the parka, the zippers, pockets, hood, etc., are all straight stitched seams.

      The Pants:

      The pants have a straight cut design and really fit nicely. The waist has an elastic band that is a little over an inch (2.5 cm) thick and also has a drawstring with a barrel pull closure.. Unfortunately there are no pockets in these pants, which is something I prefer. The bottom of the pants features a 10 in. (25 cm) Velcro side slit for easy on and off over shoes. The ankle width is adjustable with another 1 in. (2.5 cm) Velcro strap at the outside of the pant leg. The Velcro and waistband are the only part of the pants that are stitched, while the rest of the fabric is "ultrasonically welded".

      Test Plan:

      My main goal for testing this rain suit, would obviously be to use it in the rain to test for its waterproofness. I expect to be backpacking and hiking in this suit and will be testing the breath ability of the polypropylene. I have hiked in rain suits that left me wetter on the inside than it was outside, so the breath ability of this suit is very important to me. I also will test this suit as a windbreaker and bug protection. When I first tried this suit on, it was a cool, windy evening and I immediately felt warm when I put it on. I would like to test this suit in different temperatures, to test its breath ability and also to test its warmth. I will be backpacking in the Utah desert at the end of June and I expect to experience a wide range of hot and cold temperatures along with rainstorms. This suit will be my main protection from the elements on this trip. I will also be backpacking in the Sierra Mountains in late May, where I expect rain, wind and bugs. I have several other
      trips to coastal and mountain areas planned and will be taking this suit with me on all of them.

      In addition to testing this suit for its waterproofness and breath ability, I will be testing the strength and overall durability of this suit. I will be testing the durability of the polypropylene fabric, the strength of the stitching on the suit and also the strength of the "ultrasonically welded seams". The Velcro straps on the various parts of this suit are another main concern for me. I find that they are really hard to use because the Velcro is very strong. I hope that they will loosen through use and be a little easier to use.

      This looks like a really nice piece of gear to include into my setup. I look forward to testing this suit and I hope that all of the manufacturers claims prove true through my testing.

    • Alex Tweedly
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2004
        Thanks Shandra - only one significant edit, and a couple of tiny ones and
        suggestions.

        At 18:21 25/04/2004 -0700, Shandra Hunt wrote:

        >Frogg Toggs Pro Sport Suit - Initial Report
        >Name: Shandra Hunt
        >
        >Product Information:
        >
        >Manufacturer: frogg toggs outerwear

        EDIT: URL should be the top-level page

        >Initial Description:
        >
        >I received this suit via UPS ground on April 22, 2004. Upon opening the
        >box which has a shipping weight of 2 lbs (.91 kg), I was pleasantly
        >surprised. I found the contents of the box to be intact, undamaged and
        >packaged very nicely. Frogg Toggs has a very nice, quality catalog that
        >they included along with a stuff sack for the rain suit, which measures14
        >in.(35.5 cm) long and about 21 in.(53 cm) in diameter.

        edit: no space between "measures" and "14"
        comment: 36cm would be accurate enough - but if you want it to the nearest
        .1 cm, it should be 35.6 cm.

        >The company sent along a bonus, one of their Chilly pad sports towels,
        >which is a very cool item. After I have used the sports towel for awhile,
        >I will follow up with an owner review.

        comment: I think this is irrelevant to the IR. I look forward to the OR -
        but I don't think this needs to be said here.

        >Test Plan:
        >
        >My main goal for testing this rain suit, would obviously be to use it in
        >the rain to test for its waterproofness. I expect to be backpacking and
        >hiking in this suit and will be testing the breath ability of the
        >polypropylene. I have hiked in rain suits that left me wetter on the
        >inside than it was
        >outside, so the breath ability of this suit is very important to me. I
        >also will test this suit as a

        edit: breathability should be all one word (occurs other places ....)

        >This looks like a really nice piece of gear to include into my setup. I
        >look forward to testing this suit and I hope that all of the manufacturers
        >claims prove true through my testing.

        edit: manufacturer's

        -- Alex.

      • Alex Tweedly
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2004
          At 23:52 28/04/2004 +0100, Alex Tweedly wrote:

          >Thanks Shandra - only one significant edit,

          Found another one, when comparing this IR against Chuck Carne's.

          You have

          >Manufacturer's listed weight: 11.5 oz (326 g)

          but Chuck has a measured weight of 11.5 oz for the Parka alone (pants being
          an additional 6.5 oz)

          Sound like you've taken the wrong measurement from the website (or
          catalogue), or need to clarify which weight you are giving.

          -- Alex.

        • Shandra Hunt
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2004
            Alex, thanks for the comments. I had breathability as one word origianlly but the spell checker recommended changing it. I will fix this and other edits. Do you want me to repost so you can look over it once more? Thanks, Shandra

            Alex Tweedly <alex@...> wrote:Thanks Shandra - only one significant edit, and a couple of tiny ones and

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
              At 18:18 29/04/2004 -0700, Shandra Hunt wrote:

              >Alex, thanks for the comments. I had breathability as one word origianlly
              >but the spell checker recommended changing it. I will fix this and other
              >edits. Do you want me to repost so you can look over it once more? Thanks,
              >Shandra

              No need to repost - if you're happy with the edits you've done, just upload it.

              (btw - I will look over the uploaded version anyway :-)

              Thanks
              -- Alex.

            • Shandra Hunt
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2004
                Alex, I think I've fixed everything, now I have to get
                it into HTML and I'll upload. Thanks, Shandra