HH test III

  • Michael Tocci
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2000
      Location...Lake George wilderness area
      Duration... 2 nights/3 days
      temp range 1st night 11 degrees, wind 5 - 10 mph
      temp 2nd night -8 degrees, wind 5 - 15 mph
      sky mostly clear both nights, snow showers during day with little to no accumulation.
      Snow cover minimal
      camp location:1st night just below summit of Sleeping Beauty Mountain on east side, sheltered from prevailing winds, estimated elevation 2400 ft..  2nd location  in sheltered stand of pine trees approximately 100 yards from southwest shore of Fishbrook pond elevation around 600 ft.
      First night sleeping equipment: Hennessey Hammock / Campmor 0 degree down sleeping bag / space blanket secured to outside of hammock as instructed by HH site / ridgerest sleeping pad / thermarest 3/4 ultralite self inflating mattress.
      Clothing: duofold expedition weight long johns, top and bottom / heavy wool socks and down booties / nylon wind pants, 300 weight fleece jacket / glove liners / wool watch cap / hot heads Mylar hat.(same clothes used both nights and were reserved for sleeping in only..not worn on trail.)
      Second night sleeping equipment: Same as above but also used themolite survival bivy from campmor
      • Positives > The ultra light weight of this hammock allows the hiker to enjoy a lighter total pack weight and thereby promotes longer treks and less exertion.  The set up is less than four minutes and if you keep the tarp/fly attached there is minimal difficulty setting up in wet weather.  The breaking of camp is even easier...just untie and roll up the hammock (I didn't use the stuff sack, just wrapped the cords around it and stuffed it into my pack.  Utilizing a hammock instead of a tent or tarp you no longer have to look for dry, level ground free of tree roots or rocks (something which is pretty scarce in the adirondaks!) all you need is two trees about 4 paces apart and as I usually camp/hike in forests my choices of campsites are innumerable.  This greatly expanded choice of campsites allows the hiker to continue past more traditional sites and encourages utilizing L.N.T. camping and all the enjoyments attributed to this, I.e. minimal impact on environment, minimal chance of bear encounters and a more authentic "wilderness" experience, which I feel is its chief advantage.
      • Downside > On both nights I felt rather cold despite using 2 pads, bivy, space blanket and winter bag and had difficulty sleeping..even though I have slept many times in the hammock in the summer without any difficulty.
      • Conclusion > The Hennessey Hammock is an ideal shelter for warmer temperatures. It is; light weight, small volume, easily set up and  unobtrusive.  It  allows for near unlimited site selection, is very comfortable to sleep in,  the lightweight fly sheds water, sleet and snow nicely. In Fact I especially enjoy lying in the hammock listening to the rain and coupled with a ridgerest I have been comfortable in temps near freezing. I especially enjoy the freedom to roam the wilderness knowing you can set up almost anywhere, thereby avoiding over used spots and enjoying a more "Back woods" experience in accord with Leave No Trace ethics.  Michael Tocci, R.N.