Five Ten Canyoneer IR (Cora)

  • Cora
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
      Hi Mike,

      I hope your day is going great. Here is my IR for the
      Canyoneers. Thanks in advance for your editing
      efforts. This is also in test > TESTS to view the
      pictures.

      Cora

      Five Ten (5.10) Canyoneer Shoes
      Initial Report

      Reviewer Information

      * Name: Cora Hussey
      * Age: 23
      * Gender: Female
      * Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      * Weight: 150 lb (70 kg)
      * Email address: cahhmc "at" yahoo "dot" com
      * Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
      * Date: April 19, 2004

      Backpacking Background: I began backpacking in 1997. I
      enjoy weekend and longer trips to the Sierras, but I
      also travel to Washington, Colorado, and elsewhere. I
      love backpacking in spring and winter snow more than
      anything (especially on skis) but I am also very happy
      scrambling off-trail in the Sierras or glacier-hiking
      in the Cascades. My enjoyment of backpacking also
      provides a basis for my additional pursuits in
      climbing and mountaineering.

      Basic Product Information

      * Year of Manufacture: 2004
      * Listed weight: Unknown
      * Weight as delivered: 16 oz (455 g) per shoe, 32
      oz (910 g) per pair
      * Size: 9.5 US Unisex (42.5 EU)

      Preliminary Information

      * Date of arrival: April 15, 2004
      * Contents of package (contents were complete):
      o One pair of 5.10 Canyoneer shoes, in
      shoebox
      o One nice 5.10 sticker and packing slip
      * Condition upon arrival: Excellent
      * The Canyoneers were easy to put on and figure
      out how to use
      * The Canyoneers are what I expected from looking
      at the web site

      Product Description

      General:

      The 5.10 Canyoneers are slip-on shoes with buckles for
      fit, a neoprene collar, mesh uppers, and a sticky
      rubber sole. They are designed for water sports that
      also demand cushioning and traction. From the website,
      the advertised features are:

      * Stealth S1 soles (Sticky rubber bottoms)
      * Synthetic leather and breathable mesh upper
      (Yellow mesh, black synthetic leather rand around base
      of foot above sole, and synthetic leather protector
      over the neoprene cuff)
      * Self bailing EVA (Four drain holes on each shoe
      and spiffy grid-style insoles)
      * Compression molded EVA (1 in / 2.5 cm of
      cushioning between sole and heel)
      * Doubled 3mm (0.12 in) neoprene ankle collar (Has
      Velcro-type closure, and extends down over top of
      foot)

      Here is a picture which illustrates a number of these
      points. The inside of the shoes (left shoe view) has
      the two bailing holes in the midsole and the two
      straps which tighten over the top of my foot. The
      outside (right shoe view) also has two bailing holes,
      it has the buckles for the straps, and it has
      Canyoneer written in yellow lettering along the
      midsole. The neoprene cuff closes from inside to
      outside of the shoe. The yellow is the mesh, and the
      black rand above the sole is the synthetic leather. At
      the very front of the toe is an additional
      reinforcement of rubber over the leather. Both sides
      of the cuff have the brand symbol for the S1 rubber.
      At the back of each cuff is a pull tab to aid in
      putting the shoes on.

      Sole

      The sole is fairly straightforward sticky rubber, but
      the bailing system in the midsole is quite
      interesting. You can see the locations of the drain
      holes in the picture above. The insole has a
      diamond-shaped pattern on the bottom of it -- and
      water drains down through the insole via these
      diamonds. Here is a picture of the tread pattern and
      the bottom of the insole (the part that rests against
      the shoe, not my foot) with its diamond drain pattern.
      That draining then can go into the holes in the
      midsole and to the outside of the shoe. The bottom of
      the insole had a sticker on it which I peeled
      partially off; the white stuff is the remnants of it.
      The tread looks much bigger than the insole because
      the cuff is tilting the sole towards the camera, but
      both fit together really well in non-parallax real
      life.

      Putting on and Fitting

      Putting on the Canyoneers is quite easy. I undo the
      Velcro-type closure on the cuff flap, hold it open
      with one hand, and then pull the shoe on using the
      pull tab at the back of the cuff. I did this easily
      even when my feet were bare and sweaty. Fitting the
      shoe to my foot with the buckles, however, is another
      story. The straps are quite surprisingly stiff. They
      required a bit of fiddling to get them cinched down
      tightly and put through the buckles and on the other
      side. But, once on, they felt secure. The shoes would
      have definitely been too loose without the buckles.
      Without socks, my toes do not touch the front of the
      shoe (which I like). If I were looking for more
      sensitivity, I would choose a size down. The cuff
      rises 5 in (13 cm) above my heel, which is right at
      the back of my Achilles tendon. Here is a view from
      the top. You can see the neoprene wrapping from inside
      to outside and the buckles coming over the top.

      Details and Other Notes

      The mesh of the Canyoneers crunches down a little when
      I tighten the buckles. If I am careful, the mesh still
      stays flat, but if I am not then it can get folds in
      it under the tightened buckles. The back of the heel
      (under the synthetic leather, and below the cuff) has
      some sort of stiffener in it. At the very front of the
      sole, where the sticky rubber curls up over the front
      of the toe (where I have had other soles unpeel
      themselves over time) there are three strong looking
      stitches to further secure the rubber to the shoe.

      Field Testing Plan

      Trip Details:

      My proposed testing of the Canyoneers will occur over
      about six water trips ranging from multi-day canoeing
      or kayaking trips to single day river scrambles.
      'Weather' will likely include grit, algae, butt-slider
      moss, fresh water, salt water, sulphur water, granite,
      sandstone, and igneous rocks. Temperatures will likely
      range from 90 F (27 C) to right above freezing.
      Elevations will range between sea level and around
      5000 ft, and the trips would be in ocean and river-run
      rocky terrain.

      Test Plan Details:

      My test plan is to wear the Canyoneers on all of my
      wet and scrambling adventures. I currently use either
      an old pair of resoled tennis shoes, or my favorite
      sandals. The Canyoneers will be used instead.

      I intend to examine the traction of the Canyoneers.
      This is more than whether they stick to rocks, wet or
      dry, but also whether they bend and conform to stick
      to oddly angled rocks, and whether they shed sand and
      algae from the soles quickly to stick to rock on the
      next steps. This also includes how well they edge,
      smear, and hop. Traction is probably the most
      important aspect of scrambling shoes for me, because
      adding to my confidence while scrambling additionally
      adds a whole lot to my fun.

      I also intend to test different aspects of comfort,
      including stability, warmth, cushioning, and fit. How
      well do the Canyoneers hold up to sharp rocks under
      and around my feet? How much ankle stability to they
      have? Do they keep out grit, and drain out what they
      let in? How warm are they in late spring runoff, and
      how cool are they for being shoved in hot sand all
      day? How easy are the buckles to use, and how well do
      they achieve a secure and comfortable fit? I will
      examine how well they protect my toes and ankles from
      rocks, and how sore my feet are after a day of
      scrambling, hopping, and wading.

      I wish to test the versatility of the Canyoneers. I
      will examine how well they bail, breathe, cushion, and
      dry in a variety of conditions. Due to my diverse
      interests, I have shied away from traditional water
      shoes for my current canyon, kayak, and wet scrambling
      adventures because of their lack of underfoot padding.
      Thus, I will be doing more with the Canyoneers than
      just canyoneering. I will be dry scrambling with them,
      kayaking and canoeing, and generally playing around in
      them on any wet and rocky adventure.

      Finally, I wish to test their durability. I will
      examine how well the neoprene holds up to sharp rocks,
      and how long lasting the sticky rubber is on the sole.
      I will be yanking on the buckles, shuffling through
      hot spring water, scrambling across sharp rocks, and
      generally abusing these awesome looking shoes.

      Initial Tests and Personal Observations

      The first thing I did was take them out of the box and
      put them on. So far, so good. They were easy to put on
      and, with a little fiddling with the stiff buckles,
      easy to adjust and fit to my foot. They are
      comfortable with only bare feet, and I chose to wear
      them while walking around the apartment.

      After an hour or so, I poked at them and examined them
      more closely. This is when I happily discovered the
      interesting diamond pattern of the insole and how that
      and the bailing holes fit together to drain water. I
      also experimented with the pull loop at the back of
      the heel and different fits with the buckles and
      Velcro-type closure at the cuff. The toe is somewhat
      tapered, and yet it is very tall. My toes have
      excessive amounts of wiggle room, and yet my feet feel
      secure. I like the fit a lot because my feet slide
      around in wet conditions and with shorter shoes I have
      a tendency to lose toenails.

      The shoes themselves felt very soft. I played around
      on some concrete stairs, and toeing in to small edges
      was uncomfortable. Smearing on the concrete and edging
      on the side of my foot on the concrete, however,
      worked very well. After puttering around close to
      home, I decided to navigate the urban canyon to the
      supermarket, which involved probably a mile or so of
      Los Angeles streets. The results: The Canyoneers are
      certainly more cushioning than any other water shoes
      I've worn. My bare feet felt like they would need to
      get to know the insides of the Canyoneers better
      before being comfortable with all the edges and ends
      rubbing around, but the only casualty was a tiny bit
      of heel skin at the back of my Achilles tendon. I
      think this was more due to the fact that I had cinched
      down the cuff for everything it was worth rather than
      a bad fit. I will experiment with it more in the
      future.

      For now, however, everything looks great. The threads
      from the three strong stitches on the toe to hold the
      sole on have some long trailing tails. These sit under
      the insoles just fine, but they mean that taking the
      insoles in and out is a big pain. I have to push all
      the threads down and slide the insole in carefully (or
      try two or three times before getting above all the
      threads) to keep them underneath. But that is a small
      complaint. These shoes look super spiffy and I can't
      wait to get them out on some wet, rocky, and fun
      terrain.
    • Michael Wheiler
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2004
        Thanks Cora. I'm leaving tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday. I'll try
        to get to the edits before I head back out again Sunday night.

        Mike