Testing gear

  • Marge Prothman
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 16, 2000
      Hi there,
      I would like to test gear suitable for a older woman.
      My name is Marge Prothman, (trail name - the Old Gal). I hike most of the
      year round, unless I am skiing. I would definitely be interested in trying
      lightweight products.
      thanks, Marge - the old gal
    • panna_l@postoffice.pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2000
        Hi -

        I was under the impression that just signing up to be on this list meant
        you were interested in testing whatever gear people were going to offer
        you. But I have seen a lot of postings of people offering to test gear,
        like the Henessey Hammocks. What is the scoop? I would be happy to test
        a hammock or filter or anything else. Do I have to post an offer each
        time something comes up?

        Panna

        lrobe684@... wrote:

        > Please excuse the seemingly pushy Nature but circumstances have
        > arisen that make me write this in lue of the anouncement. My father
        > has just been given 6 months to live and I may be going to Fla when i
        > can and may miss the anouncement as i will go back to no mail when I
        > go, it will only be for a couple of days at a time but I am really
        > interested in them so no more pleas just keep me in mind please.
        > Linda

      • Gear Tester
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2000
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2000
            HELLO OUT THERE! . . . . . Out There . . . . out there . . .

            Just checking to see if this group is "still alive."

            The attached email of 10/6 is the last one I received and then
            the email from this e-group went mysteriously quiet.

            Did I miss something?

            Sixteenth Note

            df

            --------------------

            Gear Tester wrote:

> [...]
          • Gear Tester
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 17, 2000
              HELLO OUT THERE! . . . . . Out There . . . . out there . . .

              Just checking to see if this group is "still alive."

              The attached email of 10/6 is the last one I received and then
              the email from this e-group went mysteriously quiet.

              Did I miss something?

              Sixteenth Note

              df

              No, unfortunately, you've missed nothing. Due to the poor report response, I'm shutting this list down. I had made arraingements for gear from Hennessey and Big Agnes to test but it appears this list was just precieved as a gear give away. That's not what I had in mind. I'll be posting the results of my experiences with new gear on Backpackinglight.
              Jerry

            • Timothy Scott
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 17, 2000
                I am confused - are you shutting down the list because VENDORS percieved this
                list as a give-away, or because there were not enough reports from the people
                who were testing the water filters?

                Is it me, or did this list not generate a TON of reports on the filter, and
                some pretty good suggestions about improving the product? I am very
                dissapointed to hear that this list is shutting down, I think it was a great
                idea and I thought that it was working well.

                Perhaps a more formal report would have helped. Maybe sending the reports
                directly to the company?

                -Chomp

                > No, unfortunately, you've missed nothing. Due to the poor report response,
                > I'm shutting this list down. I had made arraingements for gear from
                > Hennessey and Big Agnes to test but it appears this list was just precieved
                > as a gear give away. That's not what I had in mind. I'll be posting the
                > results of my experiences with new gear on Backpackinglight.
                > Jerry

                =====
                "Even his griefs are a joy long after to
                one that remembers all that he wrought
                and endured." -- Homer, The Odyssey

                http://im.yahoo.com/
              • Critical Payne
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 17, 2000
                  I thought that I, and plenty of others sent back some good reviews.
                  Reviews that made it apparent that we were really putting the filter
                  through some serious tests, examinations, and situations. A lot of the

                  I'm disappointed to hear about the list going down. It introduced me to a
                  product that I never would have seen otherwise (one that won me over, I
                  might add), and helped spread the word about not only the filter, but some
                  of the issues that accompany filter selection.

                  Perhaps a more formal setup with regards to distribution, testing, and
                  reviews would help this (or a future list like it).

                  Stephen Payn

                  "We sure liberated the hell out of this place."
                  -- GI entering the rubble of St. Lo, France, 1944
                  * Lest We Forget: World War II *
                  * http://webpub.alleg.edu/student/p/paynes/ *
                • artcloutmn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 17, 2000
                    In a message dated 10/17/00 2:22:11 PM, geartester@... writes:

                    << Due to the poor report response, I'm shutting this list down. I had made
                    arraingements for gear from Hennessey and Big Agnes to test but it appears
                    this list was just precieved as a gear give away. >>

                    I hope that is not true. I suspect my experience may be the same for others.
                    From the beginning I assumed the delivery of the inline filter would be
                    within a few days of the original request for participant. I had plenty of
                    time to get out and hike during the summer. In fact I planned a three day
                    hike with my daughter during which testing could occur. But the filter did
                    not arrive on time. The inline water filter distributed in early september
                    came after my fall schedule had begun. Injuries during a summer hike have
                    made it even more difficult to get out on the trail. However, I have
                    scheduled a trip in November to put the device to a thourough test. Maybe it
                    would be wise to specify an accurate date and a deadline for testing. Those
                    who cannot make the schedule should not participate.
                    Please reconsider. I think it is an excellent idea. It is a great way
                    for serious hikers to be informed about new products on the market or about
                    to go on the market. The mechanics of the product testing may need to be
                    refined to make this work well.

                    Art Cloutman
                  • Gear Tester
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 17, 2000
                      From: Timothy Scott
                      Is it me, or did this list not generate a TON of reports on the filter, and
                      some pretty good suggestions about improving the product?

                      It's you. Only 9 of the 10 testers acknowledged receipt of their filters. We don't know what happened to the 10th one. Of the 9 who received their filters one was broken during assembly. It seemed that the Seychelle rep offered to replace that filter. We don't know if that ever happened. Of the remaining 8 that received filters and more or less got them assembled we received 3 reports just reporting assembly and first impressions with no follow up testing of the actual filter operation at home or in the field. Of the 10 testers only 3 actually provided results of home and/or field testing but those 3 were very good. I was really looking forward to some feedback from BigSkyRy but he either didn't recieve one or is fully ocupied on his own projects. The vast majority of the posts concerned weither or not the filter should or shouldn't pass dye, how to screw it in, and weither or not the white rubber peice was for both back flushing and start up clean out. Maybe I'm just being to critical but I had hoped for more than 33% actual testing. Makes it kinda hard to approach more compaines if they actually look at the posts on this run.

                      Perhaps a more formal report would have helped. Maybe sending the reports
                      directly to the company?

                      No reason to assume the company would recieve more posts than we did. I know a number of people found they didn't have time to test the filters. That's why I called for testers for that test at that time instead of just picking people out of the list. If they didn't have the time to test they shouldn't have volunteered.
                      I guess I was too informal in this. If I try another product for testing it would have to be clear that the minimum required posts are: 1. receipt of the product 2. first impressions and any problems 3. some use of the product and the results of that use. This would be required of everyone that receives the product.

                    • Yelverton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 18, 2000
                        I think the latter would be a better idea than the first. Then any tester that didn't comply could be restricted from testing. It seems like there is a good chance that we have some very good testers out here that haven't had an opportunity to prove that just yet. There are only ten people who have had any involvement in this, and it seems like we have quite a bit more members than that. I don't think shutting down the list because of a less than satisfactory first run is the best idea for the group nor the manufacturers. Who knows? Perhaps this bit of counceling to the group by yourself has already improved the performance of the next test.

                        Mike y!