Backpacking Gear Testing

  • David Spellman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 1:07 PM
      Available to test backpacking gear and write reviews:

      Large, powerful male able to break most anything or at least give it
      fits. At 6'1", 250 pounds, I don't qualify as a lightweight backpacker,
      but a lot of my equipment certainly falls into the "lightweight"
      category. As a result, I've had to modify my "bull-in-a-china-closet"
      ways.I've managed to preserve some pretty delicate equipment in pristine
      condition through a lot of miles, but if you want to find stress limits,
      I'm your man.

      Most of my backpacking is done on the west coast (with an occasional
      foray into the Na Pali in Kauai), from Ensenada to Vancouver and from
      the Pacific inland to Arizona. I've been drenched in Canada, baked in
      Death Valley and covered head to toe in red dirt in Hawaii. I'm most at
      home in the Sierras, however, at or above 10,000'.

      Like most backpackers who've spent any time at REI, I've got more
      equipment than I need, and certainly more than I could ever carry at
      once. That would include seven or eight backpacks ranging from load
      monsters weighing 7 pounds and more to ultralight packs coming in at 13
      ounces, five or six stoves from Esbit through Snowpeak to Dragonfly,
      four or five sets of cookware from $6 Walmart greasepot to expensive
      titanium pots, several sets of trekking poles, several kinds of shelter
      from ultralight tarp to three-man tent, etc.

      I've built my own gear from time to time, including a tarp, a net tent
      and a sleeping quilt, and my next project will probably be a modified
      ultralight backpack.

      I'm a co-founder of the Over The Hill Hiking club, a professional
      photographer and a semi-articulate writer, located in the Los Angeles
      area.

      I can follow clear directions and I ask pointed questions when I can't
      figure something out.

      david