APPLICATION-Shock Doctor Ultra2 Insoles

  • Jack Corrigan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Tester Application (BGT Survival Guide v. 1202):
      Shock Doctor Ultra2 Insoles

      I would like to apply to test the Shock Doctor Ultra2 Insoles. I will be
      using the insoles to replace the insoles for a 2 year old pair of of
      Lowa Renegade boots. The boots are still in great shape on the outside
      but I am tough the insides and that is where boots usually fail for me.
      I just replaced the original insoles about three weeks ago with another
      third party brand with less than desirable results during a trip last
      weekend in Shenandoah National Park (Big meadows). The boots are now
      just sitting, waiting for another solution. My daily hiking mileage is
      usually between 3 and 8 miles. Over the course of a month I average 2-3
      day hikes and a 1-2 night overnighter. That being said these boots would
      also be worn in two other instances. The first is weekly SAR training
      where mileage is tough to estimate, but the boots and therefore insoles
      are being worn for a 6-8 hour time period. The second instance would be
      during my work as a surveyor. This is a 5 day work week of 7-10 hours a
      day in the field which varies from commercial construction job site
      stake out to undeveloped land topographic surveys. In summary the
      insoles will get a pretty decent workout over the test period. Factors
      that will be evaluated will be ease of use (fitting), comfort and
      durability.

      Thank you for taking the time to consider my application.

      I last read the BGT Survival Guide (v. 1202) on 02/15/04 and will comply
      with all the report requirements. My tester agreement is on file.

      BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION:

      Name: John (Jack) Corrigan
      Age: 40 years old
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 feet 10 inches
      Weight: 175 pounds
      Torso: 20 inches
      Waist Size: 34 inches
      Men's Shoe Size: 9.5 US Men's
      Email: jack@... (Website:
      http://www.jackquest.com/JackQuest/index.html)
      Location: Fredericksburg, VA 22408 (Spotsylvania County in Northern
      Virginia)

      I have always been one to do the outdoor thing as compared to the
      organized sport thing. It started as a youngster in the Boy Scouts and
      continues today as an adult. The majority of my experience has been in
      Pennsylvania but I have hiked, camped or paddled in New York, California
      and even Alaska. I am also currently a volunteer search and rescue
      canine handler. Although search and rescue doesn't always result in an
      overnight or multi-day trip, I am required to be prepared, equipped and
      trained for it. Training a search dog results in many hours of trekking
      through the outdoors.

      My "style" is best described as recreational camping, mid-weight
      backpacking (2-3 day treks), day hiking, flat water paddling, hunting
      and canine search and rescue activities. My last extended (more than 1
      week) outing was the summer of 2001, as a volunteer for the Armed Forces
      Eco-Challenge in interior Alaska. I also include two of my four dogs in
      most of my outdoor activities.

      FIELD INFORMATION:

      Proposed Locations:

      For the most part, the proposed testing locations will be in the
      Mid-Atlantic region primarily northern Virginia and northeastern
      Pennsylvania. Base Camp VA (home) is conveniently located near many
      local, state and federal recreation areas. In addition the Appalachian
      Trail and Shenandoah National Park are only a few hours away. Base Camp
      PA (cabin), which is located in the Endless Mountain Region of
      Pennsylvania is also located near state parks and state forest areas, as
      well as lesser known trail systems such as the Loyalsock Trail.

      Now that I am living in Virginia trips to our cabin are less frequent,
      maybe once or twice every three or four months. But Shenandoah National
      Park, Washington National Forest and Jefferson National Forest are soon
      to be regular trekking spots.

      Description of Locations:

      The terrain of the proposed testing locations is varied, and ranges from
      flat low grass and lightly forested regions to mountain "elevations" of
      200 to 3500 feet. Trail systems range from established foot paths to
      undeveloped logging roads and even the occasional bushwhack.

      Expected Weather Conditions:

      This test series (initial report through long term report) will be
      conducted from approximately April through October.

      I am not as familiar with the weather in Northern Virginia as I was with
      the weather in Pennsylvania. I am anticipating wet spring, hot and humid
      conditions during the summer during mid to late winter. Then again, I'm
      not a meteorologist! However, I am an all season, all weather tester and
      will record actual weather conditions in the specific test reports.

      After some weather research I will offer the following sample
      temperature data points for the Upper Piedmont/Northern Neck region of
      Virginia:

      April (56F/13C)
      May (61F/16C)
      June (70F/21C)
      July (73F/23C)
      August (77F/25C)
      September (69F/21C)
      October (58F/14C)

      TEST REPORTS IN PROGRESS:

      Exped Down Air Mattress
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Mattresses/EXPED%20Down%20Air%20Mattress/Jack%20Corrigan/
      (Long Term Report Due 4/04)

      Magellan SporTrak TOPO
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Navigation%20and%20Map%20Gear/GPS/Magellan%20SporTrak%20Topo%202003/Jack%20Corrigan/
      (Field Report Due 4/04, Long Term Report Due 8/04))

      Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/Snugpak%20Softie%203%20Merlin/Jack%20Corrigan/
      (Long Term Report Due 5/04)

      O.P. Saks
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff%20Sacks/Dry%20Bags/Watchful%20Eye%20Designs%20-%20O.P.%20Sak/John%20Corrigan/
      (Field Report Due 5/04, Long Term Report Due 9/04)

      Aloksak Bags
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff%20Sacks/Dry%20Bags/Watchful%20Eye%20Designs%20-%20Aloksak/Jack%20Corrigan/
      (Long Term Report Due 5/04)

      ID Hot Sox
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/Integral%20Designs%20Hot%20Socks/Jack%20Corrigan/
      (Long Term Report Due 6/04)

      ID Down Mitts
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Gloves/Integral%20Designs%20Down%20Mitts/Jack%20Corrigan/
      (Long Term Report Due 6/04)

      TEST REPORTS COMPLETE:

      Princeton Tec Yukon Headlamp
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20Hybrid/Princeton%20Tec%20Yukon/John%20Corrigan/

      Granite Gear Ruff Rider Dog Pack
      Ruff Wear Quickdraw Leash
      Big Agnes Mad House Tent
      N.E.O.S. Navigator 5
      STABILicers SPORTs
      Brasslite Solo
      Ruff Wear Tea Tree and Oats Soap
      Granite Gear Vapor Trail Backpack
      Soltac CookSack
      Equinox Ultralite Compression Stuff Sack
      Cache Lake Foods
      Princeton Tec Aurora
      National Geographic Adventure Paper
      Pac Flat Backpacker Grill
      Planet Dog Travel Bowl and Pack
      Swiss Army Victorinox-Classic

      OWNER REVIEWS:

      REI MTS Lightweight Long-Sleeve Zip T-Neck
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/REI_MTS_Long-Sleeve_Zip_T-Neck/Owner%20Review%20by%20J.%20Corrigan/

      REI Gore-Tex Fabric Socks
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/REI%20Gore-Tex%20Fabric%20Socks/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jack%20Corrigan/

      Loki 3 in 1 Straight Hat
      Packtowl
      Marmot Walkabout Lumbar Pack
      Platypus Big Zip 3
      Loyalsock Trail Guide
      Therm-a-Rest Z-Rest
      Timberline 2
      Brunton Eclipse 8097
      Ruff Wear Trail Runner Bowl
      Leatherman Micra
      OR Crocodile Gaiters

      TESTS MONITORED:

      Intergral Designs Denali Pants (in progress)
      Brasslite Turbo IID (in progress)
      Mountainsmith Wisp (complete)
      Tarptent Virga (complete)
      Psolar.EX Mask (complete)
      Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Hammock (complete)
      Hennessy Explorer Ultralite Hammock (complete)
      Birdiepal Umbrella (complete)

      --
      TEAM JackQuest
      Jack, Cyber and Drager