APPLICATION to Test SHOCKDOCTOR ULTRA2 INSOLES - Fuzzy

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      SHOCKDOCTOR ULTRA2 INSOLES APPLICATION

      Please accept my application to test the ShockDoctor Ultra2 Insoles.
      Although my feet measure US 8½EEE, my shoes generally are a US 10W.
      I would need the insoles based on my shoe size to prevent gaps
      between the edges of the insole and the inside of the shoe. I have
      read Chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 1202,
      and will follow all requirements.

      Tester Bio:
      Name: Chuck Kime
      Nickname: Fuzzy
      Age: 37
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'8" (172 cm)
      Weight: 229 lb (104 kg)
      Email address: ckime AT nelsononline DOT com
      City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb),
      Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

      Additional Information applicable to this test:
      Shoe size: 8½EEE (US)

      Backpacking Background:
      Found at end of application.

      Field information:
      Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly. Almost all of these outings
      include a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with temperatures expected
      to be from lows around 25 to 30 ºF (-4 to –1 ºC) to highs around 95
      to 100 ºF (35 to 38 ºC). Elevations will range from sea level to
      approximately 2,000' (610 m).

      I also wear Spenco brand full-length arch support insoles in all of
      my shoes (other than my Asics athletic shoes), including lightweight
      hikers from Target, military issue combat/jungle/jump boots, and a
      variety of western boots. I have worn the Spencos in this way –
      every day – since 1984 (which makes me… geez… older than I thought).

      I hate cold feet. In cold weather, I wear U.S. military issue combat
      boots – far more waterproof than my mesh-insert Target boots – that
      have no insulation or padding at all. While moving I usually have no
      problem with cold, but standing around is both cold and
      uncomfortable, as they have a hard sole that transmits cold fairly
      well. In warm weather, however, my feet tend to sweat fairly
      significantly, even in my lightweight boots. ShockDoctor claims that
      their insoles keep feet "cooler when it's hot and warmer when it's
      cold". This would be a good thing.

      My everyday shoes are my Target hikers, which I have worn almost
      daily for the past 20-21 months. I would wear the Ultra2s in these
      every day to work throughout the test period, as well as on all scout
      trips. My daily commute includes several walks of several city
      blocks (I work in Philadelphia), plus a 3-4 block walk every day at
      lunch time. Scout trips generally involve a few miles over the
      course of a weekend, and will include 12- to 15-mile (19- to 24-km)
      days for a week of summer camp in August.

      I also plan to replace the sandals I wore out at the end of last
      summer. I generally changed into these at home in the evenings and
      on some weekends, and am considering getting a pair that could be
      used with insoles. If I do, I will certainly use the Ultra2 insoles
      in them at least for the duration of the test.

      I have been meaning to get to the store to buy another pair of
      Spencos lately. If selected for this test, I will definitely do so.
      I would then spend a day with one type of insole in one shoe and a
      different type in the other (and probably a day with the opposite
      combination) to see if I notice any difference from my "normal"
      conditions.

      I will be attentive to and/or test the following:
      · Fit. Do they fit me/my shoes? Is the sizing on the web site
      accurate? I don't actually see product size listed, only a size
      converter.
      · Fabric. Is the friction-reducing top cover durable (I have
      no prior experience with the fabric)?
      · Warmth/cooling. How cold can it get and still keep me warm?
      How warm can it get and keep my feet cool and dry?
      · Washability. Do they wash well? Do they dry well? Do they
      hold much dirt in the first place? Any stink factor?
      · Arch. Is the arch high enough? Too high? Just right
      (Goldie! Babe! How ya doin'?)?

      Previously Written Reports:

      Completed Tests:

      Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack (September 30, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%
      20and%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/Chuck%20Kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/9tm1

      Tektite Trek (was Micra) Lithium Survival Light (October 17, 2003)
      AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set (January 6, 2004)
      Aquamira Water Treatment (February 19, 2004)

      Currently Testing Other Items:

      Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Top (Field Report uploaded 1/6)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/Hot%20Chillys%
      20Bio-Silver%20Bi-Ply%20Shirt/Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/rmug

      Integral Designs Denali Pants (Field Report uploaded 1/8)
      Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag (Field Report Uploaded 1/14)
      Gregory Z Pack (Field Report Uploaded 3/2)
      Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Packcloth Gaiters (Field Report
      Uploaded 3/29)
      LEKI Pathfinder Jr. Trekking Poles (Initial Report Uploaded 2/12)
      Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero (Not Started Yet)
      Big Agnes Seed House 3 Tent (Not Started Yet)

      Owner Reviews:

      Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
      20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
      20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/7grc

      Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
      Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)

      All of my reports/reviews may be found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chuck_kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/ver2

      Tests Currently Monitoring:

      Exped Down Air Mattress (DAM)
      "The Hiker's Guide to Preparing Home-Cooked Meals on the Trail" by
      Steve Mroz

      Tests Previously Monitored:
      None yet.

      Backpacking Background:
      I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
      enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
      spent 17 years fine-tuning my packing methodology - by the time I
      separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
      respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
      Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
      to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002 and now camp monthly in locations
      ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
      the Pocono Mts (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and in all
      seasons.
      Lightweight (and ultralightweight) web sites, along with a day hike
      up Pikes Peak in July 2003, have led me to seriously rethink my gear
      choices. I plan to start doing more hiking/backpacking on our
      monthly scout trips, taking along as many scouts as are willing, to
      a) get in shape (yeah, yeah, I know… round IS a shape), and b)
      determine what I really need to take along. I am relatively
      confident that I will be able to reduce my 3-season pack to 20 lb (9
      kg), before food, fuel and water, by the time this season is over.

      Thank you for your consideration,
      Chuck Kime
      a.k.a. Fuzzy