RE: [BackpackGearTest] RE: Re: re jetboil boil times

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
      Oh, at the *top* of the pot.
      Jerry

      -----Original Message-----
      From: R Caffin [mailto:r.caffin@...]
      Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 2:01 AM
      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] RE: Re: re jetboil boil times

      > Hmmmm... When I use it, the heat exchanger fins get pretty hot. I'd be
      > stunned if condensation formed.

      Can happen.
      Put a lot of snow in a pot, pack it full, then put it on a stove running at
      low or medium.
      You might well find condensation forming around the top of the pot. Burnt
      fuel makes a lot of water vapour.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • R Caffin
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
        > Oh, at the *top* of the pot.
        > > Put a lot of snow in a pot, pack it full, then put it on a stove running
        at
        > > low or medium.
        > > You might well find condensation forming around the top of the pot.
        Burnt
        > > fuel makes a lot of water vapour.

        I should explain the importance of this.
        If you get a lot of condensation it can collect and fall down onto the
        burner. It can temporarily extinguish part of the flame, putting fuel vapour
        onto the air. This can be dangerous.

        But the worst case here is when the condensate hits the generator tube and
        chills it. This can cause liquid fuel to come out of the burner, spraying
        everywhere. This is not good.

        Even worse is the possibility that it can thermal-shock the tube such that
        gunge built up inside the tube is broken loose. This gunge then flies down
        the tube to the jet and blocks it - solid. You no longer have a stove.

        The above are not theory! It was late in the evening in the middle of a
        ski-touring trip when I started cooking, and made this mistake. The jet
        ended up blocked, and I could not get it clean. We (my wife and I) had a
        cold dinner in the snow that night, and had to do an emergency retreat in
        bad weather. It took an industrial detergent and an ultrasonic bath to get
        the gunge out of the generator tube and the jet.

        Cheers
        Roger Caffin