RE: [BackpackGearTest] Copies of ASTM standards?

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      Excellent. Keep us posted.
      Jerry

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Andrew Priest [mailto:apriest@...]
      Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:30 AM
      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [BackpackGearTest] Copies of ASTM standards?

      At 11:18 AM 01/04/2004, you wrote:
      >We went through this over the first Granite Gear packs we tested. Tom Jones
      >was working for Black Diamond at the time and they had a copy. It's huge,
      >expensive and complicated. At the end of it, will we know any more about
      the
      >weight of the tent than we do now?

      No, but I think it would be interesting to know how some of these numbers
      are obtained, e.g., the weight of the tent, sleeping bag temperatures etc.
      More for curiosity sake than anything else.

      That said, I have tracked down a copy at the state library here. Will get
      into town some time soon and have a look.

      Andrew
      reviews and tests on the planet

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cov0hig/M=267637.4673019.5833256.1261774/D=egroup
      web/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1080891219/A=1945638/R=0/SIG=11t2rh2cf/*http://www.n
      etflix.com/Default?mqso=60178383&partid=4673019> click here

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4673019.5833256.1261774/D=egroupweb
      /S=:HM/A=1945638/rand=442216233>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        At 09:23 PM 01/04/2004, you wrote:
        >I have access to the standards, but I don't believe the subscription
        >service I have allows me to share copies of any of the documents, at least
        >I'm sure it would be inappropriate to post anything on a public forum. If
        >you have a specific interest in something, however, and ideally know the
        >standard number, I may be able to help you by conveying what the standard
        >does and doesn't allow, etc. I would be happy to do that. Let me know.

        Hi Jet

        I appreciate that it wouldn't be appropriate posting them to the list, but
        if you are ok about providing a copy of a few of the standards off-list to
        me directly I would be interested. Alternatively, I have located a hardcopy
        at the state library which I can access.

        Thanks
        Andrew

        reviews and tests on the planet

      • Tom Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
          The Pack Volume standard works like this (from memory):

          Obtain a quantity of 3/4" hard plastic spheres. These are spread on
          the surface of tanks to limit evaporation, and are available from
          many suppliers.

          Fill the pack with the spheres. Simulation of actual field
          conditions is encouraged, but is left to the discretion of the
          tester. The pack should be filled to the "just full" point. If a
          spindrift collar is present, it should not be filled; or filled, and
          the measurement given seperately. 3-D zippered pockets on the
          outside can be filled. Flat, pleated, and not-fully-closable pockets
          should be filled to the extent that the manufacturer expects they
          would be used in the field.

          The spheres are then poured into a rigid rectangular box, and the
          total volume measured mechanically.

          ----

          Comment: not a bad way to measure volume. If you use something
          dense, like beans, it distorts the pack and the volume goes up. The
          plastic spheres are an appropriate density.

          Of course the system only works if lots of people use it.

          Tom

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>