Re: [BackpackGearTest] EDIT: FIELD REPORT: Outdoor Research Mountain Rocky Gaiters [Packcloth]

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      At 01:18 PM 01/04/2004, you wrote:
      >Andrew,
      >
      >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>
      >wrote:
      >
      > > weight in the 8 to 12 kg (18 to 26 lb) range. In 2003 I completed my
      >End to
      > > End of the Bibbulmun Track. I have also end to ended the Cape to
      >Cape and
      >
      >### "End-to-End"

      AP:> Going to disagree on this one. "End to End" in this context would not
      read right. Prefer the expression , end to ended, as in past tense.

      > > Running down the full length of the front of the gaiter is a 25.4 mm
      >(1'')
      >
      >### This looks like the foot tick mark & not the inch double-tick that
      >you used above in your height reference (and elsewhere in your
      >report). Should be 1".

      Conversion error from the HTML to text. Doesn't seem a problem in the HTML
      copy.

      > > Testing Location Overview: The hiking environment of the south-west of
      >
      >### "southwest" is not a compound word

      AP:> Have changed but have used south-west from day one.

      Thanks Jim. Balance of edits taken on board.

      Andrew

      reviews and tests on the planet

    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
        wrote:

        > > > weight in the 8 to 12 kg (18 to 26 lb) range. In 2003 I completed my
        > >End to
        > > > End of the Bibbulmun Track. I have also end to ended the Cape to
        > >Cape and
        > >
        > >### "End-to-End"
        >
        > AP:> Going to disagree on this one. "End to End" in this context
        would not
        > read right. Prefer the expression , end to ended, as in past tense.

        ===> Actually I was referring to the "completed my End to End of the
        Bibbulmun Track" and suggested it be "End-to-End" as "thru-hike" is
        used. I missed the second "end to ended" or would have suggested that
        one or the other also have its capitalization changed to be consistent
        <grin>.

        > > > Testing Location Overview: The hiking environment of the
        south-west of

        > >### "southwest" is not a compound word
        >
        > AP:> Have changed but have used south-west from day one.

        ===> This may be one of those tricky ones. I try to avoid the ones I
        know have differences between American English and other versions of
        English. I've seen it in a bunch of people's reports so maybe this is
        one of those. Per the American Heritage Dictionary, "southwest" is:
        "The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due
        south and due west, or 135° west of due north." So you could be right
        too since the American Heritage Dictionary might be a little parochial :-)
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
          At 10:50 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
          >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>
          >wrote:
          >
          >===> Actually I was referring to the "completed my End to End of the
          >Bibbulmun Track" and suggested it be "End-to-End" as "thru-hike" is
          >used. I missed the second "end to ended" or would have suggested that
          >one or the other also have its capitalization changed to be consistent
          ><grin>.

          Ah ok. I will change my template but will leave the upload report. Not
          worth the hassle of changing at this point.