INITIAL REPORT - JetBoil Stove

  • Edward Ripley-Duggan
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
      Andy -- I looked over your IR with great interest, since I've been
      intrigued by the Jetboil since I first saw it in action. I've resisted
      getting one as I own too many stoves! One thing that I was curious about.
      In the canister stove comparison were you using any form of windshield? I
      use a aluminum flashing shield (pretty much the design that the guy at
      Backpacking Light came up with) on my Snow Peak. It doesn't cause any of
      the dread canister heating. I have a feeling (not yet put to formal test)
      that it significantly improves efficiency. If you don't use a shield, in a
      way it's comparing apples and oranges. Also curious to know (maybe I missed
      this) which stove you were using for that test, though it may not be hugely
      relevant. This is not a critique, merely curiosity.

      Ted.

      >Message: 21
      > Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:17:27 -0000
      > From: "Andy Rad" <andy.rad@...>
      >Subject: INITIAL REPORT - JetBoil Stove
      >
      >Reformatted from HTML and cleaned up.
      >Posted to test site for view of TABLE and PHOTO.
      >http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JetBoil%20-%20by%
      >20Andy%20Rad/

      Reply to: erd@...
      WILSEY RARE BOOKS, MEMBER ABAA
      http://www.wilsey.net
      Phone: (845) 657-7057 Fax: (845) 657-2366
    • Dennis Shubitowski
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        Very interesting report Andy - good work. I just glanced at the HTML
        because the tables don't come through in e-mail and noticed the fonts
        and font sizes in the report are all over the map. Unless you are going
        for a specific look as far as a font goes, you may want to remove all
        the font designations in the HTML and let the user's browser fill in the
        default. This discussion should probably be moved the BGTUploadHelp
        group if you wanted to discuss further.

        Dennis

        Andy Rad wrote:

        >Resubmitted after rewritting section on differences between larger
        >and smaller fuel canister.
        >
        >Reformatted from HTML and cleaned up.
        >Posted to test site for view of TABLE and PHOTO.
        >http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Resubmit%20-%
        >20JetBoil%20-%20by%20Andy%20Rad/>

      • Andy Rad
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          No wind shild used on the canister stove (Primas Alpine Micro), but I
          did use the factory supplied wind shild on the MSR Whisperlight.

          I ran both stoves at ~60% flame output to compensate for shield and
          the pan only having a 6" base.

          As noted the flame exhaust was not hot.

          I'd be interested in learning more about the shield you mentioned and
          could rerun the test on the Primus.

          Andy

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Edward Ripley-Duggan
          <erd@w...> wrote:
          > Andy -- I looked over your IR with great interest, since I've been
          > intrigued by the Jetboil since I first saw it in action. I've
          resisted
          > getting one as I own too many stoves! One thing that I was curious
          about.
          > In the canister stove comparison were you using any form of
          windshield? I
          > use a aluminum flashing shield (pretty much the design that the guy
          at
          > Backpacking Light came up with) on my Snow Peak. It doesn't cause
          any of
          > the dread canister heating. I have a feeling (not yet put to formal
          test)
          > that it significantly improves efficiency. If you don't use a
          shield, in a
          > way it's comparing apples and oranges. Also curious to know (maybe
          I missed
          > this) which stove you were using for that test, though it may not
          be hugely
          > relevant. This is not a critique, merely curiosity.
          >
          > Ted.
          >

          > >Message: 21
          > > Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:17:27 -0000
          > > From: "Andy Rad" <andy.rad@h...>
          > >Subject: INITIAL REPORT - JetBoil Stove
          > >
          > >Reformatted from HTML and cleaned up.
          > >Posted to test site for view of TABLE and PHOTO.
          > >http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JetBoil%20-%
          20by%
          > >20Andy%20Rad/
          > >

          > Reply to: erd@w...
          > WILSEY RARE BOOKS, MEMBER ABAA
          > http://www.wilsey.net
          > Phone: (845) 657-7057 Fax: (845) 657-2366
        • Rick D.
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
            No you don't; it's not possible to own too many stoves. Please seek
            help soon!

            If you don't believe me, just ask around :-)

            --Rick (who could use at least one more stove.)

            <erd@w...> wrote:
            > Andy -- I looked over your IR with great interest, since I've been
            > intrigued by the Jetboil since I first saw it in action. I've
            resisted
            > getting one as I own too many stoves!
          • Rami
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
              [[R:]] Hi Andy, Fantastic IR! Some minor edits follow, once you've made
              those, feel free to upload at your convenience and delete your test
              folder version. Thanks,

              Rami

              Reformatted from HTML and cleaned up.
              Posted to test site for view of TABLE and PHOTO.
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Resubmit%20-%
              20JetBoil%20-%20by%20Andy%20Rad/>

              [[R:]]
              As Dennis said, review your code with special attention to fonts and
              sizes.

              In recent years I've begun substituting a collie for
              the llama.

              [[R:]] how does he do with the llama's pack? ;-)

              Product Information
              Maufacturer: Jetboil
              MSRP: $79.00 (US)
              Model: PCS (Personal Cooking System) Listed
              Weight: 14 oz (397 g)
              Year of Manufacture: 2004
              Measured Weight: 15.4 oz (436 g)
              Color: Aluminum/Black

              [[R:]] Check out this table in the HTML version- in my view, the spacing
              of a couple items is out of proportion. Model name and year of
              manufacture are both funky...

              Overview Of Materials, The unit consists of 5 pieces,
              a Burner Base, Cooking Cup, Lid, FluxRing protector, and insulator
              they call a Cozy. The heat-exchanger, which JetBoil trademarks as
              FluxRing, is composed of anodized aluminum,

              [[R:]] Please include the appropriate service mark in your HTML version
              when referring to the FluxRing.

              The lid has a drinking spout, is make from stout
              plastic,

              [[R:]] ...is made from...

              must feel that they are susceptible
              to damage, thus provide the protector.

              [[R:]] ...thus providing the...

              Nevertheless, the base
              protector also doubles as a drinking cub and even has a 1 cup (250ml)
              marking.

              [[R:]] ...drinking cup...

              As per Jetboil's web site the Cooking Cup does have a 1 liter
              capacity when filled to the brim, but the documentation states that
              the maximum fill is 2 cups (or 250 ml)

              [[R:]] 2 cups = 500 ml

              and is marked inside the cup.
              The instructions warn that filling beyond 2 cups results in potential
              boil over. I see this as a discrepancy when listing the unit as
              having a 1 liter capacity, but then informing the user not to exceed
              2 cups . I have a concern on stove stability if filled beyond 2
              cups, considering that the combined Cooking Cup and Burner Base have
              an overall height of 9 in (23 cm). Place that on top of a 100 g fuel
              canister that has a 3.5 in diameter by 2.5 in height (8.9 x 6.4 cm)
              and you have a top-heavy stove and pot combination.

              [[R:]] If my brain weren't mushy tonight, I'd calculate the stoves cg
              for you... ;-)

              Initial Testing:

              Testing reviled that the Jetboil

              [[R:]] ...Testing revealed...

              5% more time. Interpellation of
              my 0.1 g balance beam scale could account for the negligible
              difference in fuel consumption.

              [[R:]] did you mean to use Interpellation...
              ( Definitions of interpellation on the Web:

              (parliament) a procedure of demanding that a government official explain
              some act or policy

              <http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn?stage=1&word=interpellati
              on> www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

              the action of interjecting or interposing an action or remark that
              interrupts

              <http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn?stage=1&word=interpellati
              on> www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn )

              or were you shooting for interpolation
              ( Definitions of Interpolation on the Web:

              The estimation of z values of a surface at an unsampled point based on
              the known z values of surrounding points.
              <http://www.esri.com/library/glossary/i_l.html>
              www.esri.com/library/glossary/i_l.html

              To estimate on the basis of some rule. Hence linear interpolation
              estimates the position of points from values of the respective function
              on either side of the point.
              <http://www.sciencemaster.com/physical/item/solar_glossary.php>
              www.sciencemaster.com/physical/item/solar_glossary.php

              The idea of estimating some value between two values. In LP, an
              interpolation estimate of the optimal objective value, say
              z(ab+(1-a)b'), is az(b) + (1-a)z(b').
              <http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~hgreenbe/glossary/I.html>
              carbon.cudenver.edu/~hgreenbe/glossary/I.html )... ?

              My trips will be primarily in Idaho, with at least one trip next to
              the Canadian boarder,

              [[R:]] ...Canadian Border...

            • Rami
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                whoops! forgot to change the subject...

                -r

> [...]

                ( Definitions of Interpolation on the Web:

                The estimation of z values of a surface at an unsampled point based on
                the known z values of surrounding points.
                <http://www.esri.com/library/glossary/i_l.html>
                www.esri.com/library/glossary/i_l.html

                To estimate on the basis of some rule. Hence linear interpolation
                estimates the position of points from values of the respective function
                on either side of the point.
                <http://www.sciencemaster.com/physical/item/solar_glossary.php>
                www.sciencemaster.com/physical/item/solar_glossary.php

                The idea of estimating some value between two values. In LP, an
                interpolation estimate of the optimal objective value, say
                z(ab+(1-a)b'), is az(b) + (1-a)z(b').
                <http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~hgreenbe/glossary/I.html>
                carbon.cudenver.edu/~hgreenbe/glossary/I.html )... ?

                My trips will be primarily in Idaho, with at least one trip next to

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Andy Rad
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2004
                  I constructed a heat exchanger somewhat like MSR's XPD Heat Exchanger
                  and used on the Primas gas canister stove. To my surprise it made NO
                  difference in efficiency. I believe if I were heating 1 liter of
                  water instead of 500ml it might have helped. There was a lot of heat
                  directed up the side of the pot that wasn't being utilized.

                  I did some preliminary test times with the Whisperlight at full flame
                  and it cut a 1 liter boil from 7:45 minutes to 6:45 minutes. I used
                  a 7 inch stainless pan.

                  Just goes to prove the Jetboil is efficent.

                  Views of exchanger

                  http://myweb.cableone.net/aisrad/ebay/PotTopView.jpg

                  http://myweb.cableone.net/aisrad/ebay/PotBotView.jpg

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12, 2004
                    Found this interesting, it sure surprised me.

                    I used a whisper light with a large fuel bottle, thus it held its
                    pressure for the duration of the test. Gave it a few pumps between
                    tests.
                    Whisper light is of shaker type and ran shaker between tests.
                    Valve open all the way

                    I used 1 liter of 50F water for all testing, in minutes to boil
                    1.8 liter stainless pot with heat exchanger and wind shield = 7.55
                    minutes
                    1.8 liter stainless pot with wind shield = 8:20 minutes
                    1.5 liter aluminum pot with wind shield = 8:30 minutes
                    1.8 liter stainless pot with OUT wind shield 8:10
                    1.3 liter Titanium with wind shield 8:30

                    Of course there were some slight variations on when I called it
                    boiling and such.

                    Observation: wind shield makes no difference. Heat exchanger is only
                    marginally effective ~5%.

                    No significant differences between tests.

                    I really expected the heat exchanger and wind shield to do more, as
                    it gets the pot hot on the sides.

                    I think I'll include this analysis with my BoilJet stove.

                    I'm impressed by the efficiency of the BoilJet.

                    Andy

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Rad" <andy.rad@h...>

                  • SF Nazdarovye
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 12, 2004
                      Andy - did you do this test in calm conditions or with wind?

                      If in calm, I would bet the wind shield and exchanger would make a big
                      difference if you tested them again in significantly windy conditions.

                      On Apr 12, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Andy Rad wrote:

                      > Found this interesting, it sure surprised me.
                      >
                      > I used a whisper light with a large fuel bottle, thus it held its
                      > pressure for the duration of the test. Gave it a few pumps between
                      > tests.
                      > Whisper light is of shaker type and ran shaker between tests.
                      > Valve open all the way
                      >
                      > I used 1 liter of 50F water for all testing, in minutes to boil
                      > 1.8 liter stainless pot with heat exchanger and wind shield = 7.55
                      > minutes
                      > 1.8 liter stainless pot with wind shield = 8:20 minutes
                      > 1.5 liter aluminum pot with wind shield = 8:30 minutes
                      > 1.8 liter stainless pot with OUT wind shield 8:10
                      > 1.3 liter Titanium with wind shield 8:30
                      >
                      > Of course there were some slight variations on when I called it
                      > boiling and such.
                      >
                      > Observation: wind shield makes no difference. Heat exchanger is only
                      > marginally effective ~5%.
                      >
                      > No significant differences between tests.
                      >
                      > I really expected the heat exchanger and wind shield to do more, as
                      > it gets the pot hot on the sides.
                      >
                      > I think I'll include this analysis with my BoilJet stove.
                      >
                      > I'm impressed by the efficiency of the BoilJet.
                      >
                      > Andy
                    • Andy Rad
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 13, 2004
                        Calm condition. Yes I would agree on the wind shield, but heat
                        exchanger I wouldn't think make any differnece.

                        andy

                        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye