Finbar Hood IR Marc Pfenning

  • Marc Pfenning
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      Thomas - Here's my Initial Report on the Finbar Hood. Have fun editing
      it! It's an interesting piece of gear.

      Personal Biographical Information

      Name: Marc Pfenning
      Age: 50
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' (1.8 M)
      Weight: 165 lb. (75 kg.)
      Email address: magickfingers<at>magickfingers<dot>net
      Region: the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, at the foot of Jay Peak
      Date : March 31, 2004

      Backpacking background: I have been hiking and backpacking since I was
      eight years old. I was very active in Scouting, earning the rank of
      Eagle at 15. Most of my teenage weekends were spent on the Long Trail,
      either with my troop, with my brother or by myself. I have continued
      backpacking as an adult and fulfilled a lifelong dream last year by
      thru-hiking the Long Trail, 278 miles ( the length of Vermont),
      finishing the hike on my 50th birthday. My hiking style is best
      described as lightweight. My base three-season pack weight is around
      15 lb. When I hike solo I sleep in a Hennessy hammock; when hiking
      with a partner I use a Kelty Vortex 2 tent.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Innovations by Fin
      Model: Sleeper II
      MSRP: $40 US
      Weight not given by manufacturer.
      Weight, total, as received: 6.8 oz (190 g)
      Weight, removable fiberfill liner: 1 oz (28 g)

      General Description

      The Finbar Hood is an insulated nylon hood designed to be worn while
      sleeping in a hoodless bag. It consists of a red nylon outer shell
      which is sewn to a layer of 3M LiteLoft, an inner blue nylon taffeta
      shell also sewn to a layer of LiteLoft, and a removable liner of
      polyester fiberfill which is 'bare'; i.e. not attached to any nylon.
      There is an integral uninsulated 'bib' which extends 7.5" (35 cm.) down
      the front and back. 1/2" (1.3 cm.) light nylon ribbons form arm loops
      to hold the hood in place during nocturnal tossings and turnings.

      Initial Impressions

      The Finbar Hood arrived in a very small - 4" x 4 1/2 " x 9" (10 x 11 x
      23 cm.) - box, which also contained five sheets of related literature:

      1) A double-sided sheet which on one side tells of a 10 day test which
      Brother Finbar conducted in temperatures ranging from -26 F (-32 C) to
      29 F (-2 C), and on the other side has a testimonial from Ann Bancroft,
      the leader of the American Women's Trans-Antarctic Expedition.

      2) A general description of the hood, illustrated with line drawings.

      3) Features, benefits, history and cleaning of the hood.

      4) An article about losing heat during sleep, and how the hood helps to
      prevent that heat loss.

      5) A small sheet with instructions on removing and replacing the
      fiberfill liner.

      The hood looked very much like the photos on the website, but I was
      surprised to see how light the arm straps are. The website photos had
      led me to expect bulkier straps, and I was concerned about comfort and
      chafing. However, when I donned the hood I couldn't even feel the
      straps, so that concern has been alleviated. The hood is surprisingly
      large and roomy, coming from such a small box. There is no stuff sack
      included, but I found an unused 5" x 8" (13 x 20 cm.) stuff sack and,
      surprisingly enough, the hood fit inside it very easily.

      Testing

      Spring has arrived very suddenly this year, with very warm weather. I
      also work nights, and sleep during the day, so the temperatures have
      been exceptionally warm while I have been sleeping this past week. I
      did sleep outside (in my Hennessy hammock) two days in an effort to
      give the hood an initial test. I used a combination of Z-Rest,
      ThermaRest and cheap no-name blue pads and a down quilt. One day the
      low temperature was 30 F (-1 C) and the next day was warmer, only
      getting down to 42 F (5 C). The first day I had to remove the liner,
      as I was sweating, and the second day even with the liner removed the
      hood was too warm to sleep in. I'm hoping that the SnowClaw, which I
      have also been selected to test, will arrive while there is still
      enough snow to build a snow cave so I can test the hood in the cave.
      I'm pretty sure that winter will be back with at least one more good
      storm. I have the next three nights off so will be sleeping at night,
      when the temperatures will be considerably cooler. I will again sleep
      in my hammock and I expect that I will be grateful for the hood.

      I am looking forward to further testing of the Finbar Hood, but it may
      be late next fall before I can give it the testing that it deserves, in
      truly cold weather. The long term report should have more useful
      information.
      Marc
      --
      I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
        Edit:How about a title? Finbar Hood Initial Report?
        Just something to get us warmed up ;)

        Edit: In the other reports they have gone with Lite-Loft. Lets keep some
        things the same ;)

        3M LiteLoft, an inner blue nylon taffeta

        Testing

        Comment/Edit: I might try Therm-a-Rest.
        ThermaRest and cheap no-name blue pads and a down quilt.

        Edit: Spell checker says long-term

        The long term report

        Good report, but can I ask for a bit more test plan detail? A little more
        of an idea of what you are going to do might be a good idea.

        Tvickers
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
          At 10:08 AM 03/04/2004, you wrote:

          >Edit: In the other reports they have gone with Lite-Loft. Lets keep some
          >things the same ;)
          >
          >3M LiteLoft, an inner blue nylon taffeta

          AP:> Actually according to 3M it is Lite Loft, i.e., two words and no hypen.

          >Testing
          >
          >Comment/Edit: I might try Therm-a-Rest.

          AP:> Therm-a-Rest is required. Brand name and official BGT spelling.

          Regards
          Andrew Priest

          reviews and tests on the planet