RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: re jetboil boil times

  • Paul Schilke
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1 2:37 AM
      Honestly,

      For the most part, I think I'll stick to the test regime proposed in my
      application. I'll keep the ice in mind though.

      Thanks,

      Paul Schilke

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1 2:37 AM
        I wouldn't know. Thanks for the info.

        Thanks,

        Paul Schilke

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1 8:43 AM
          Oh, at the *top* of the pot.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1 3:48 PM
            > Oh, at the *top* of the pot.
            > > Put a lot of snow in a pot, pack it full, then put it on a stove running
            at
            > > low or medium.
            > > You might well find condensation forming around the top of the pot.
            Burnt
            > > fuel makes a lot of water vapour.

            I should explain the importance of this.
            If you get a lot of condensation it can collect and fall down onto the
            burner. It can temporarily extinguish part of the flame, putting fuel vapour
            onto the air. This can be dangerous.

            But the worst case here is when the condensate hits the generator tube and
            chills it. This can cause liquid fuel to come out of the burner, spraying
            everywhere. This is not good.

            Even worse is the possibility that it can thermal-shock the tube such that
            gunge built up inside the tube is broken loose. This gunge then flies down
            the tube to the jet and blocks it - solid. You no longer have a stove.

            The above are not theory! It was late in the evening in the middle of a
            ski-touring trip when I started cooking, and made this mistake. The jet
            ended up blocked, and I could not get it clean. We (my wife and I) had a
            cold dinner in the snow that night, and had to do an emergency retreat in
            bad weather. It took an industrial detergent and an ultrasonic bath to get
            the gunge out of the generator tube and the jet.

            Cheers
            Roger Caffin