RE: Re: re jetboil boil times

  • R Caffin
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
      > Hmmmm... When I use it, the heat exchanger fins get pretty hot. I'd be
      > stunned if condensation formed.

      Can happen.
      Put a lot of snow in a pot, pack it full, then put it on a stove running at
      low or medium.
      You might well find condensation forming around the top of the pot. Burnt
      fuel makes a lot of water vapour.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
    • Paul Schilke
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
        Honestly,

        For the most part, I think I'll stick to the test regime proposed in my
        application. I'll keep the ice in mind though.

        Thanks,

        Paul Schilke

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
          I wouldn't know. Thanks for the info.

          Thanks,

          Paul Schilke

          _____

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
            I think the small pot size is detrimental to snow melting.

            Thanks,

            Paul Schilke

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
              The fins are on the bottom near the flame. Oh.... you don't mean
              condensation on the fins...

              Thanks,

              Paul Schilke

              > Hmmmm... When I use it, the heat exchanger fins get pretty hot. I'd be
              > stunned if condensation formed.

              Can happen.
              Put a lot of snow in a pot, pack it full, then put it on a stove running at
              low or medium.
              You might well find condensation forming around the top of the pot. Burnt
              fuel makes a lot of water vapour.

              Cheers
              Roger Caffin

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                Oh, at the *top* of the pot.
                Jerry

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                  > Oh, at the *top* of the pot.
                  > > Put a lot of snow in a pot, pack it full, then put it on a stove running
                  at
                  > > low or medium.
                  > > You might well find condensation forming around the top of the pot.
                  Burnt
                  > > fuel makes a lot of water vapour.

                  I should explain the importance of this.
                  If you get a lot of condensation it can collect and fall down onto the
                  burner. It can temporarily extinguish part of the flame, putting fuel vapour
                  onto the air. This can be dangerous.

                  But the worst case here is when the condensate hits the generator tube and
                  chills it. This can cause liquid fuel to come out of the burner, spraying
                  everywhere. This is not good.

                  Even worse is the possibility that it can thermal-shock the tube such that
                  gunge built up inside the tube is broken loose. This gunge then flies down
                  the tube to the jet and blocks it - solid. You no longer have a stove.

                  The above are not theory! It was late in the evening in the middle of a
                  ski-touring trip when I started cooking, and made this mistake. The jet
                  ended up blocked, and I could not get it clean. We (my wife and I) had a
                  cold dinner in the snow that night, and had to do an emergency retreat in
                  bad weather. It took an industrial detergent and an ultrasonic bath to get
                  the gunge out of the generator tube and the jet.

                  Cheers
                  Roger Caffin