Copies of ASTM standards?

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi Group

      In light of the reply from MSR on the Missing Link weight, I did a bit of a
      search on ASTM standards. Seems that there are a few standards related to
      tents, backpacks, and sleeping bags, e.g., F2153-01 Standard Test Method
      for Measurement of Backpack Capacity. I thought that these standards may
      be interest to us. For example the standard on weights for tents was
      enlightening.

      However, these standards appear to be $27. US each ... ouch. Hence my
      question. Does anyone have access to ASTM standards and could either
      provide a copy or post the sections of interest, e.g., how capacity of
      backpacks is determined?

      More details on ASTM standards at http://www.astm.org/

      Thanks
      Andrew
      reviews and tests on the planet

    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
        We went through this over the first Granite Gear packs we tested. Tom Jones
        was working for Black Diamond at the time and they had a copy. It's huge,
        expensive and complicated. At the end of it, will we know any more about the
        weight of the tent than we do now?
        Jerry

        In light of the reply from MSR on the Missing Link weight, I did a bit of a
        search on ASTM standards. Seems that there are a few standards related to
        tents, backpacks, and sleeping bags, e.g., F2153-01 Standard Test Method
        for Measurement of Backpack Capacity. I thought that these standards may
        be interest to us. For example the standard on weights for tents was
        enlightening.

        However, these standards appear to be $27. US each ... ouch. Hence my
        question. Does anyone have access to ASTM standards and could either
        provide a copy or post the sections of interest, e.g., how capacity of
        backpacks is determined?

        More details on ASTM standards at http://www.astm.org/

        Thanks
        Andrew
        reviews and tests on the planet

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12codkaa7/M=267637.4673018.5833253.1261774/D=egroup
        web/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1080869364/A=1945638/R=0/SIG=11tq357ai/*http://www.n
        etflix.com/Default?mqso=60178383&partid=4673018> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4673018.5833253.1261774/D=egroupweb
        /S=:HM/A=1945638/rand=615392404>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
          At 11:18 AM 01/04/2004, you wrote:
          >We went through this over the first Granite Gear packs we tested. Tom Jones
          >was working for Black Diamond at the time and they had a copy. It's huge,
          >expensive and complicated. At the end of it, will we know any more about the
          >weight of the tent than we do now?

          No, but I think it would be interesting to know how some of these numbers
          are obtained, e.g., the weight of the tent, sleeping bag temperatures etc.
          More for curiosity sake than anything else.

          That said, I have tracked down a copy at the state library here. Will get
          into town some time soon and have a look.

        • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
            I have access to the standards, but I don't believe the subscription
            service I have allows me to share copies of any of the documents, at least
            I'm sure it would be inappropriate to post anything on a public forum. If
            you have a specific interest in something, however, and ideally know the
            standard number, I may be able to help you by conveying what the standard
            does and doesn't allow, etc. I would be happy to do that. Let me know.

            Jet
            +++++

            Message: 8

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
              Excellent. Keep us posted.
              Jerry

              >We went through this over the first Granite Gear packs we tested. Tom Jones
              >was working for Black Diamond at the time and they had a copy. It's huge,
              >expensive and complicated. At the end of it, will we know any more about
              the
              >weight of the tent than we do now?

              No, but I think it would be interesting to know how some of these numbers
              are obtained, e.g., the weight of the tent, sleeping bag temperatures etc.
              More for curiosity sake than anything else.

              That said, I have tracked down a copy at the state library here. Will get
              into town some time soon and have a look.

              Andrew
              reviews and tests on the planet

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cov0hig/M=267637.4673019.5833256.1261774/D=egroup
              web/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1080891219/A=1945638/R=0/SIG=11t2rh2cf/*http://www.n
              etflix.com/Default?mqso=60178383&partid=4673019> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4673019.5833256.1261774/D=egroupweb
              /S=:HM/A=1945638/rand=442216233>

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
                At 09:23 PM 01/04/2004, you wrote:
                >I have access to the standards, but I don't believe the subscription
                >service I have allows me to share copies of any of the documents, at least
                >I'm sure it would be inappropriate to post anything on a public forum. If
                >you have a specific interest in something, however, and ideally know the
                >standard number, I may be able to help you by conveying what the standard
                >does and doesn't allow, etc. I would be happy to do that. Let me know.

                Hi Jet

                I appreciate that it wouldn't be appropriate posting them to the list, but
                if you are ok about providing a copy of a few of the standards off-list to
                me directly I would be interested. Alternatively, I have located a hardcopy
                at the state library which I can access.

                Thanks
                Andrew

                reviews and tests on the planet

              • Tom Jones
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
                  The Pack Volume standard works like this (from memory):

                  Obtain a quantity of 3/4" hard plastic spheres. These are spread on
                  the surface of tanks to limit evaporation, and are available from
                  many suppliers.

                  Fill the pack with the spheres. Simulation of actual field
                  conditions is encouraged, but is left to the discretion of the
                  tester. The pack should be filled to the "just full" point. If a
                  spindrift collar is present, it should not be filled; or filled, and
                  the measurement given seperately. 3-D zippered pockets on the
                  outside can be filled. Flat, pleated, and not-fully-closable pockets
                  should be filled to the extent that the manufacturer expects they
                  would be used in the field.

                  The spheres are then poured into a rigid rectangular box, and the
                  total volume measured mechanically.

                  ----

                  Comment: not a bad way to measure volume. If you use something
                  dense, like beans, it distorts the pack and the volume goes up. The
                  plastic spheres are an appropriate density.

                  Of course the system only works if lots of people use it.

                  Tom

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>