EDIT Xikar 138 Knife LTR--Chuck Carnes

  • Michael Wheiler
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2004
      Chuck:

      Thanks for posting your report on time. My minor edits/suggestions follow:

      ***The only difference is I have to extend (maybe expend?) a little more
      effort in cutting things....

      ***Suggestion only: "...the knife I did a paper test as the (manufacturer)
      suggested."

      ***Question only: Why do you think a serrated blade would retain its edge
      better than the current style?

      ***On the tomato, the cuts that cut it in half and in quarters were....

      ***Sorry but this sentence was just a little difficult for me to read
      tonight--maybe it was just me: "The handle has a few scuffs as anything
      would having been put through these types of tests." I understand what you
      are saying, it is just an awkward sentence to me. Maybe not to someone else
      so it is your call on this one.

      ****In addition to your thoughts on the Xikar, you taught me that "skint" is
      in fact a recognized alteration of the word "skinned." Although I had heard
      the word used, I always thought it was slang--but not according to Mr.
      Webster.

      ***...the locking blade mechanism has performed as it should (extra space?)
      and I have still not seen....

      ***suggestions only: "I do take care of my knives (so) I can't say that I
      could wet this knife and be able to leave it out in the weather for a week
      just to see if it would rust. I will trust the (manufacturer) at this point
      (that the knife is rust resistant?).

      That's it for me. Nicely done and thanks again for submitting the report in
      a timely fashion. Upload when ready.

      Mike
    • Chuck Carnes
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
        Thanks Michael for the edits.
        This is what I put in the report to explain myself on
        the question you had. I think this explains it a
        little better.

        I feel that if the blade were to be serrated, the
        effort on the rope would be the same as the first
        test, quick and easy. I think that while cutting
        something with a serrated blade, the cut has somewhat
        of a saw tooth action while cutting the object. Even
        if a serrated blade is a little bit dull, the up and
        down action that a serrated blade produces, cuts more
        efficiently. Basically you are getting almost twice as
        much cutting edge surface with a serrated blade versus
        a straight blade.

        --- Michael Wheiler <jmwlaw@...> wrote:
        > Chuck:
        >
        > Thanks for posting your report on time. My minor
        > edits/suggestions follow:

        > ***Question only: Why do you think a serrated blade
        > would retain its edge
        > better than the current style?

        =====
        Chuck Carnes

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
          We also need a LTR folder put in the Xikar file so we
          can upload.
          Thanks!
          --- Michael Wheiler <jmwlaw@...> wrote:

          > That's it for me. Nicely done and thanks again for
          > submitting the report in
          > a timely fashion. Upload when ready.
          >
          > Mike

          =====
          Chuck Carnes

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
            At 07:39 PM 31/03/2004, you wrote:
            >We also need a LTR folder put in the Xikar file so we
            >can upload.

            Hi Chuck

            We don't have folders for each report. There should be a folder under your
            name for you to upload your three reports. In fact you will find your own
            personal space at
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Folding/Xikar%20138%20Excel%20Knife/Chuck%20Carnes.

            Andrew

            reviews and tests on the planet

          • Chuck Carnes
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
              Man, I have no idea what I was thinking. I guess I had
              a brain fart. I uploaded yesterday after the ton of
              bricks feel on my head. Thanks for the response
              though.

              --- Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
              wrote:
              > At 07:39 PM 31/03/2004, you wrote:
              > >We also need a LTR folder put in the Xikar file so
              > we
              > >can upload.
              >
              > Hi Chuck
              >
              > We don't have folders for each report. There should
              > be a folder under your
              > name for you to upload your three reports. In fact
              > you will find your own
              > personal space at

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Folding/Xikar%20138%20Excel%20Knife/Chuck%20Carnes.

              > Andrew
              >
              > Senior Edit Moderator and List Moderator
              > http://BackpackGearTest.org : The most comprehensive
              > interactive gear
              > reviews and tests on the planet

              > removed]