This list is going to the dogs

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 30, 2004
      BGT, in cooperation with Muttluks, is happy to offer our canine friends a
      test for this spring! We will be testing three pairs of the All-Weather
      Muttluks. Their website (www.muttluks.com) states:

      1. Available in rain slicker yellow; Made with breathable, waterproof
      Hydroflex coated fabric;
      2. The leather toe cover (available in sizes M-XXL) offers protection and
      durability for larger dogs; with the Cordura® Nylon toe cover available for
      smaller dogs (sizes Itty-Bitty to Small);
      3. Self-tightening Velcro® straps allow for an easy, secure and quick
      fastening that ensures a snug and comfortable fit;
      4. 3M Scotchlite™ reflective material on the back of the Velcro® strap
      provides safety for dogs by offering nighttime visibility;
      5. The comfortable stretchy cuff is versatile and easily adapted for dogs
      with short or long legs;
      6. The boot bottoms are made from treated, water and salt resistant leather;
      7. The entire boot is stitched with heavy-duty industrial bonded nylon
      thread;
      8. Available in eight sizes to fit breeds from Chihuahuas to Great Danes and
      everything in-between;
      9. Distinctive and reusable cloth mesh packaging can be used for storing or
      washing Muttluks, or for general storage;
      10. Muttluks come complete with a paw-fitting chart that makes it easy for
      pets to be sized on the spot and offers strong sales support at retail.

      Application details:
      I know it is difficult to type with paws, so I'll let your mom or dad be
      your online voice for this test. Make sure that they include your full test
      plan in the application - I need to know how you're going to test these!
      Also, it is very important that mom or dad help to size you properly and
      include this information in the application. There is sizing information on
      the website. Make sure to submit your application by 11:59 pm PT next
      Tuesday!

    • Andy Mytys
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30, 2004
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca" <rebecca@b...>
        wrote:

        > We will be testing three pairs of the All-Weather
        > Muttluks. Their website (www.muttluks.com) states:

        I couldn't get anywhere on the main page. Perhaps my security
        settings blocked some of the animated graphics. All I know is that
        I didn't see much of anything using the above link.

        For those who have equally frustrating experiences, here's an
        alternative link to the real main page (I suspect the link given
        above is a jazzy intro of some sort).

        http://www.muttluks.com/muttimonials/index.php
      • Rebecca
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 30, 2004
          It's just javascript heavy. Don't have any problems on my computer (mozilla
          on win2k).

          > We will be testing three pairs of the All-Weather
          > Muttluks. Their website (www.muttluks.com) states:

          I couldn't get anywhere on the main page. Perhaps my security
          settings blocked some of the animated graphics. All I know is that
          I didn't see much of anything using the above link.

          For those who have equally frustrating experiences, here's an
          alternative link to the real main page (I suspect the link given
          above is a jazzy intro of some sort).

          http://www.muttluks.com/muttimonials/index.php

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
            Does the "newbie" rule apply to this test?

              > Does the "newbie" rule apply to this test?

              Yes it does.
            • Kathy Waters
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                Shucks, Molson is going to be SO disappointed! ;)

                Kathy

                  I would apply anyway. It never hurts to show interest.

                  Jason

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters"
                  <TheMiddleSister@i...> wrote:

                  > Shucks, Molson is going to be SO disappointed! ;)
                  >
                  > Kathy

                • Fuzzy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                    <TheMiddleSister@i...> wrote:

                    > Shucks, Molson is going to be SO disappointed! ;)

                    Kathy,

                    Apply anyway. If the moderators have too few *good* applications, or
                    you manage to truly impress, they have the power to override the
                    ruling and give additional items to newbies. I started here before
                    the newbie rule was instituted, and I already had a second item when
                    the rule went into effect, but I still applied (good practice, if
                    nothing else) and managed to get a third item before testing on my
                    first was finished. It can happen. I now have 4 completed tests, 6
                    in progress, 2 more in the mail, applications in for 3 more, and am
                    monitoring 2 others. Keep your head up, as well as the quality of
                    your work, and the mods will take notice.

                    Fuzzy
                  • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                      What he said. :)

                      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters"
                      > <TheMiddleSister@i...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Shucks, Molson is going to be SO disappointed! ;)
                      >
                      > Kathy,
                      >
                      > Apply anyway. If the moderators have too few *good* applications, or
                      > you manage to truly impress, they have the power to override the
                      > ruling and give additional items to newbies. I started here before
                      > the newbie rule was instituted, and I already had a second item when
                      > the rule went into effect, but I still applied (good practice, if
                      > nothing else) and managed to get a third item before testing on my
                      > first was finished. It can happen. I now have 4 completed tests, 6
                      > in progress, 2 more in the mail, applications in for 3 more, and am
                      > monitoring 2 others. Keep your head up, as well as the quality of
                      > your work, and the mods will take notice.
                      >
                      > Fuzzy
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Rebecca
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 5, 2004
                        I need applications!

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 6, 2004
                          Rebecca,

                          An application will be forth coming. I have two dogs, can I test
                          two sets if selected?

                          Jason

                          wrote:

                          > I need applications!
                        • Andy Mytys
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 6, 2004
                            wrote:

                            > I need applications!

                            Wrong time of the year for me.

                            In the winter, I need shoes to keep the snow from getting between my
                            dogs toes. In the spring, shoes might keep mud out, but this just
                            means she'll have clean feet and everything else will be covered in
                            mud. There's no value added here for me... just another item to
                            clean. I don't really have rocky enough terrain around me to make
                            shoes attractive for long hikes either.
                          • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 6, 2004
                              Please accept my application to test the Big Agnes Hog Park. I have read
                              the Tester Requirements and agree to comply with the requirements in the
                              BGT Survival Guide v.1202. My tester agreement has been signed and has
                              been received by Shane.

                              Name: Thomas Peltier II
                              Age: 31
                              Gender: Male
                              Height: 6’ 0” (1.8 M)
                              Weight: 155 (70.3 kg)
                              E-mail Address: Thomas@...
                              City, State, Country: Bakersfield, California, U.S.A.
                              Date: 04/06/2004

                              *Backpacking Background*: I have been in the outdoors since I was a
                              toddler. My mother introduced me to backpacking when I was in the
                              backpack. I in good turn joined the Boy Scouts to get away from Mom on
                              the weekend hikes. My first backpack trip with the Boy Scouts was down a
                              dirt road to a park and camp sight. That was my last trip with the Boy
                              Scouts. Since then I have been backpacking mostly in the Sierra Nevada’s.
                              I have been a professional river guide and kayak instructor for the last
                              11 years, however, I currently work at a family establishment in
                              Bakersfield, California. Working a “Real Job” keeps me away from the
                              outdoors a bit more than I would like. My summers are busy between city
                              work and river guiding. Much of my packing is done on the river in the
                              summer. This has driven me to long winter trips and short summer trips
                              for the last several years. I took up snow shoeing to help get into
                              winter packing. I have found that less is often more in my backpacking
                              and my summer trips I find myself as happy in a pair of Chacos carrying
                              my pocket knife as I do with a heavy pack and big boots.

                              *Application Body:*

                              * *I'm not even sure I can get Lucky Dog to wear these things but I'll
                              try. I would like to take Lucky Dog to the top of Mammoth mountain and
                              ski with him. I am afraid the spring snow will cut his pads and these
                              could be a real pad saver. Lucky covers many miles of back country with
                              me every year and he doesn't like to wear shoes any more than I do (As
                              far as I know). We will try most anything that doesn't kill us twice
                              though. I promise to put the Muttluks on Lucky Dog on several occasions
                              while we are hiking about or skiing into places. If we have any luck at
                              all Lucky Dog will like them and wear them all the time. If he doesn't
                              like them he may not test them as much as we would like. I'm not sure
                              just how dedicated to BGT Lucky Dog is and I can't promise he will take
                              on for the team and wear the Muttluks anyway; but we will try.

                              My testing plan is to put these on Lucky Dog and take him hiking. If I
                              am chosen for this test I will make a point of finding some remaining
                              snow for a good day or two of snow country travel using the Muttluks.
                              Other than that I will put them on Lucky Dogs feet for every trip we
                              take and see how it goes.

                              Thank you for taking the time to review my application.

                              *Testing Completed:*

                              Completed Tests:

                              Paxton Sandal Saver Test
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Toiletries/Paxtons%20Sandal%20Saver/Thomas%20Peltier%20II/Field%20Report/>

                              Petzl Myo 3 headlamp
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20Hybrid/Petzl_Myo_3_Headlamp/Thomas%20Peltier%20II/>

                              Seychelles In-Line Eliminator
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/Seychelle%20In-Line%20Eliminator/Thomas%20Peltier%20II/>

                              I have completed four owner reviews:

                              Petzl Zipka Headlamp
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Petzl%20Zipka%20Headlamp/Owner%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Peltier%20II/>

                              La Sportiva Makalu Mountaineering Boots
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/La%20Sportiva%20Makalu%20Mountaineering%20Boots/Owner%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Peltier%20II/>

                              MSR Alpine Cookware set
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cook%20Sets/MSR%20Alpine%20Cookware%20set/Owner%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Peltier%20II/>

                              Sweetwater Guardian water filter
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/SweetWater%20Guardian%20Filter/Owner%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Peltier%20II/>

                              Tests I’m currently involve in.

                              Aloksak waterproof bags
                              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff%20Sacks/Dry%20Bags/Watchful%20Eye%20Designs%20-%20Aloksak/Thomas%20Peltier%20II/>
                              (Report waiting for edit at time of submission)

                              McNett Towl Test

                              Tom Peltier

                              Pura Vida
                            • Shane Steinkamp
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 6, 2004
                                > Please accept my application to test the Big Agnes Hog Park.

                                You might want to fix this one, Tom. The cut and paste got you...

                                Shane
                              • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com