Hennessy Cold Weather Fix

  • David Spellman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2000
      I'll try to write this up in a more formal report...
      As I expected, the solution to using a Hennessy Hammock in cold weather
      has more to do with the sleeping bag/pad you use than it does with
      anything done to the hammock itself. With one possible design
      modification suggestion...

      I managed to borrow a Stephenson Warmlite sleeping bag with the DAM
      (Down Air Mattress). The latter bit is inflated using the specific stuff
      sack that Stephenson includes with the setup, and produces a sleeping
      pad that is thicker and wider than most, with great insulation in the
      bottom and a whole lot of comfort. I'd seen these things once before
      and thought them comfortable, but I thought they were DAM (pun intended)
      expensive and hardly worth looking at. If you're sleeping in the snow,
      this may be the only pad that doesn't warrant another pad underneath in
      order to produce warmth and comfort.

      In the hammock...
      The pad is full length, about a pound and a half (which is actually
      lighter by about two pounds than the best Thermarest) and *depending on
      the girth of the bag you order* is wider than most pads. It becomes an
      integral part of Stephenson's sleeping bag, though it can be removed
      from its pocket, and a thick foam pad shaped specifically for the bag
      can be substituted (though you pay a penalty in volume and weight to do
      this).
      Since the pad is wider, you don't contact the sides of the hammock. You
      can't slip off, of course, since the pad is always with the bag, and
      there's enough insulation on the sides of this bag that you just can't
      get cold.

      To make the longer story short, this bag makes the hammock a toasty
      place to sleep no matter what the weather. I don't know if you can buy
      the DAM from Stephenson without a sleeping bag to go with it. But if you
      can, this may very well be the last pad you ever buy.

      david
    • Tom Hennessy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2001
        David - I was trying to copy your tidbit about the parace to send to a
        friend and
        accidentally deleted it!!! Could you send it to me again? Also, we would
        love
        to use it on the website.

        Cheers

        Ann