Re: [BackpackGearTest] Multi Tool

  • Mara Factor
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
      If you're looking to save weight while maintaining utility, check out the
      mini-Buck tool. 1.5 oz. Includes scissors (small but they kept my nails
      cut on a thruhike), pliers, screwdrivers, file, knife, and more. One of the
      screwdrivers is even small enough to open a Photon light.

      Mara

      >From: "Craig" <m1dfk@...>
      >Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:38:11 -0000
      >
      >Hi All,
      >
      >I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, ...

    • Dave Hicks
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
        The real "light weight" IMHO is the Swiss-Tech Utili-Key, which goes for
        about $10.

        Weight 0.25 ounce
        Closed length 2.8 inches
        Blade material Stainless steel
        Straight/serrated Blade
        Standard screwdriver
        Phillips screwdriver
        Bottle opener
        File

        BTW -- at 0.25 ounces don't look for heavy duty.

        Chainsaw

        > If you're looking to save weight while maintaining utility, check out the
        > mini-Buck tool. 1.5 oz. Includes scissors (small but they kept my nails
        > cut on a thruhike), pliers, screwdrivers, file, knife, and more. One of
        the
        > screwdrivers is even small enough to open a Photon light.
        >
        > Mara
        >

        > >From: "Craig" <m1dfk@...>
        > >Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:38:11 -0000
        > >
        > >Hi All,
        > >
        > >I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, ...

      • JONES, PHILIP T
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
          I carry my Leatherman Micra every day. My only disappointment is that the
          scissors have trouble cutting certain types of soft material. They do fine
          with stiff paper and cardboard though.

          Phil

        • Timothy Scott
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
            Craig,

            Mara is right, the Buck Mini Tool is just about the best mini tool you can
            carry that weighs nothing. Unless you need a larger knife for some reason, the
            mini tool can do just about anything you need. However, if you tend to carry
            cans of tuna, you might not want this item since it takes quite a while to use
            the can opened. That small screwdriver Mara mentioned CAN turn the screws on
            the Photon II - I changed the batteries in one while on the trail. Not easy,
            but it worked. Here is a link.

            -Tim

            http://www.gunthergifts.com/minibucktool.html

            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1