Re: [BackpackGearTest] Multi Tool

  • Mara Factor
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
      If you're looking to save weight while maintaining utility, check out the
      mini-Buck tool. 1.5 oz. Includes scissors (small but they kept my nails
      cut on a thruhike), pliers, screwdrivers, file, knife, and more. One of the
      screwdrivers is even small enough to open a Photon light.

      Mara

      >From: "Craig" <m1dfk@...>
      >Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:38:11 -0000
      >
      >Hi All,
      >
      >I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, ...

    • Dave Hicks
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
        One observation, regardless of size.

        If you are looking at any pliers type, pay attention to the surface area
        that becomes the "handles."

        Among larger tools, for example, the Leatherman Flair opens so that where
        you squeeze the handles is the "inside" surface where all the "tools" fold
        for storage. So, you have a bunch of relatively narrow edges pressing into
        your hand.

        OTOH, the Leatherman Crunch opens the opposite way. So, you squeeze against
        a smooth handle.

        Chainsaw

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
          The real "light weight" IMHO is the Swiss-Tech Utili-Key, which goes for
          about $10.

          Weight 0.25 ounce
          Closed length 2.8 inches
          Blade material Stainless steel
          Straight/serrated Blade
          Standard screwdriver
          Phillips screwdriver
          Bottle opener
          File

          BTW -- at 0.25 ounces don't look for heavy duty.

          Chainsaw

          > If you're looking to save weight while maintaining utility, check out the
          > mini-Buck tool. 1.5 oz. Includes scissors (small but they kept my nails
          > cut on a thruhike), pliers, screwdrivers, file, knife, and more. One of
          the
          > screwdrivers is even small enough to open a Photon light.
          >
          > Mara
          >

          > >From: "Craig" <m1dfk@...>
          > >Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:38:11 -0000
          > >
          > >Hi All,
          > >
          > >I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, ...

        • JONES, PHILIP T
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
            I carry my Leatherman Micra every day. My only disappointment is that the
            scissors have trouble cutting certain types of soft material. They do fine
            with stiff paper and cardboard though.

            Phil

          • Timothy Scott
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
              Craig,

              Mara is right, the Buck Mini Tool is just about the best mini tool you can
              carry that weighs nothing. Unless you need a larger knife for some reason, the
              mini tool can do just about anything you need. However, if you tend to carry
              cans of tuna, you might not want this item since it takes quite a while to use
              the can opened. That small screwdriver Mara mentioned CAN turn the screws on
              the Photon II - I changed the batteries in one while on the trail. Not easy,
              but it worked. Here is a link.

              -Tim

              http://www.gunthergifts.com/minibucktool.html

              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1