Multi Tool

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hi All,

      I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, as my current Swiss Champ is
      now a bit worn (i've had it abt 10 years), does anybody have any
      sugestions as to a good one, i have been looking at the leatherman
      wave, or the gerber, or even a new swiss, but i want one to be the
      most flexable...

      any sugestions?

      Thanks

      craig
    • Mara Factor
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
        If you're looking to save weight while maintaining utility, check out the
        mini-Buck tool. 1.5 oz. Includes scissors (small but they kept my nails
        cut on a thruhike), pliers, screwdrivers, file, knife, and more. One of the
        screwdrivers is even small enough to open a Photon light.

        Mara

        >From: "Craig" <m1dfk@...>
        >Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:38:11 -0000
        >
        >Hi All,
        >
        >I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, ...

      • Dave Hicks
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
          IMHO, "suggestions as to a good one" requires some information on the
          planned usage. A good one for what?

          I have a number. The one that goes on trail maintaining trips, is bigger
          than the one that lives in my pocket day-to-day, is bigger than the one that
          goes backpacking.

          Chainsaw

          > I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, as my current Swiss Champ is
          > now a bit worn (i've had it abt 10 years), does anybody have any
          > sugestions as to a good one, i have been looking at the leatherman
          > wave, or the gerber, or even a new swiss, but i want one to be the
          > most flexable...
          >
          > any sugestions?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > craig

        • Dave Hicks
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
            One observation, regardless of size.

            If you are looking at any pliers type, pay attention to the surface area
            that becomes the "handles."

            Among larger tools, for example, the Leatherman Flair opens so that where
            you squeeze the handles is the "inside" surface where all the "tools" fold
            for storage. So, you have a bunch of relatively narrow edges pressing into
            your hand.

            OTOH, the Leatherman Crunch opens the opposite way. So, you squeeze against
            a smooth handle.

            Chainsaw

            > I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, as my current Swiss Champ is
            > now a bit worn (i've had it abt 10 years), does anybody have any
            > sugestions as to a good one, i have been looking at the leatherman
            > wave, or the gerber, or even a new swiss, but i want one to be the
            > most flexable...
            >
            > any sugestions?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > craig

          • Dave Hicks
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
              The real "light weight" IMHO is the Swiss-Tech Utili-Key, which goes for
              about $10.

              Weight 0.25 ounce
              Closed length 2.8 inches
              Blade material Stainless steel
              Straight/serrated Blade
              Standard screwdriver
              Phillips screwdriver
              Bottle opener
              File

              BTW -- at 0.25 ounces don't look for heavy duty.

              Chainsaw

              > If you're looking to save weight while maintaining utility, check out the
              > mini-Buck tool. 1.5 oz. Includes scissors (small but they kept my nails
              > cut on a thruhike), pliers, screwdrivers, file, knife, and more. One of
              the
              > screwdrivers is even small enough to open a Photon light.
              >
              > Mara
              >

              > >From: "Craig" <m1dfk@...>
              > >Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:38:11 -0000
              > >
              > >Hi All,
              > >
              > >I'm looking to purchase a new multitool, ...

            • JONES, PHILIP T
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
                I carry my Leatherman Micra every day. My only disappointment is that the
                scissors have trouble cutting certain types of soft material. They do fine
                with stiff paper and cardboard though.

                Phil

              • Timothy Scott
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
                  Craig,

                  Mara is right, the Buck Mini Tool is just about the best mini tool you can
                  carry that weighs nothing. Unless you need a larger knife for some reason, the
                  mini tool can do just about anything you need. However, if you tend to carry
                  cans of tuna, you might not want this item since it takes quite a while to use
                  the can opened. That small screwdriver Mara mentioned CAN turn the screws on
                  the Photon II - I changed the batteries in one while on the trail. Not easy,
                  but it worked. Here is a link.

                  -Tim

                  http://www.gunthergifts.com/minibucktool.html

                  http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1