Re: GVP G4 and Golite Gust

  • AsABat
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2001
      If you haven't already done so, check out the Files section of this
      group for the G4 reviews. In mine I mention that I have done some
      minor bushwacking with my G4C in the desert, and the pack surprised
      me with no damage with just minor attention to where I was
      bushwacking.

      Some of the past problems were with older G4 designs with silnylon
      and fine mesh. The newer packs use 2.2 ounce ripstop and the mesh
      pockets, at least on the customs, are much heavier than the mesh on
      the pad pockets. My mesh has larger holes with heavier line, almost
      like a heavier fishing net.

      IMO, as long as you don't throw the pack on the ground or sit on it,
      it should hold up fine. I've carried upto 34 pounds in it, and while
      not real comfy at that weight, the (food) weight dropped after a
      couple days into that 9-day trip and all was fine.

      Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey
    • Reed, Steven D.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2001
        I can only speak for the G4, but on a recent trip to the Tetons I saw John
        O's (from BP Light list) full pack take a slide down a talus slope (John was
        attached), and get tossed off of a small cliff (sans John) with no ill
        effects. John did snag the back pocket a little while bushwacking through
        (and I emphasis through) some dead pine trees. He was carrying about 24 lbs
        on the trip. I really wouldn't have any qualms about the durability of the
        G4. If you are worried about snagging the netting pockets you can have Glen
        custom make one with silnylon outside pockets. I think this would really be
        pretty bombproof.

        -Steve

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
          Should not be a problem. This is a pretty tough pack.