GVP G4 and Golite Gust

  • Kraft, Toby
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
      GVP G4 and Golite Gust

      Testers,
       I have a specific question that some of you may be able to answer.  I am looking into a light pack, and see the Golite Gust and GVP G4 as my options.  Given the weight difference being only a few ounces, and my propensity for being rough on gear, I am concerned about the comparative durability of these packs.  There is also a price difference, but that might not be a problem.  I expect that either of these packs would last only a couple years, but I worry about a G4 exploding on me every time I touch a stick.  Is the Golite more durable?  I only seek to get to the 20 lb level and therefore think that I will be carrying a little too much weight for the G4 and this may also affect durability.  Thoughts?  I hoped that testers may have a little more in depth knowledge than the Bplight peoples.

      -Toby (testing the Delorme Topo product and HatLight)

    • richard.dreher@jacobs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
        I'd consider contacting Glen about getting a custom G4 using tougher
        materials at the wear points. You'll pay more up front but if you get
        more years of service out of it, it'll be worth the extra expense and
        effort. IIRC he's been making just such running changes over the
        years to the standard design.

        --Rick

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Kraft, Toby" <tkraft@t...> wrote:
        > Testers,
        > I have a specific question that some of you may be able to
        answer. I am
        > looking into a light pack, and see the Golite Gust and GVP G4 as my
        options.
        > Given the weight difference being only a few ounces, and my
        propensity for
        > being rough on gear, I am concerned about the comparative
        durability of
        > these packs. There is also a price difference, but that might not
        be a
        > problem. I expect that either of these packs would last only a
        couple
        > years, but I worry about a G4 exploding on me every time I touch a
        stick.
        > Is the Golite more durable? I only seek to get to the 20 lb level
        and
        > therefore think that I will be carrying a little too much weight
        for the G4
        > and this may also affect durability. Thoughts? I hoped that
        testers may
        > have a little more in depth knowledge than the Bplight peoples.
        >
        > -Toby (testing the Delorme Topo product and HatLight)
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
          I have just ordered a golite breeze.
          As soon as I get to play with it I will report on how tough it is.
          My main concern is its durability.

          TV
        • Eric Jensen
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Kraft, Toby" <tkraft@t...> wrote:
            > Testers, I have a specific question that some of you may be able to
            >answer. I am looking into a light pack, and see the Golite Gust and
            >GVP G4 as my options. I only seek to get to the 20 lb level and
            >therefore think that I will be carrying a little too much weight
            >for the G4 and this may also affect durability. Thoughts? I hoped
            >that testers may have a little more in depth knowledge than the
            >Bplight peoples.

            Toby, since I'm only a bplighter, and not a tester yet, I guess
            you'll have to take my comment below with a grain of salt. However,
            if you want the opinion of one who has used the G4 on weekend trips
            all throughout this summer, please read on.

            I have had great success with my G4. It is very light and extremely
            comfortable. I carry about 15 lbs. of base gear weight along with
            between 8 and 11 lbs. of food & water. In a prior BPGT email I wrote
            that carrying this amount of weight in this particular pack is like
            packing a pillow in a hefty bag, its that comfortable. When you keep
            the weight under 30 lbs. - with attention to packing your gear
            properly - you can have success in carrying loads beyond 20 lbs.
            Durability does not suffer as a result of this weight, but where you
            set the pack in the wild does matter. I do take care and caution in
            setting it down when I take a meal break or camp for the night. I
            know that Glen V.P. is conservative in his comments regarding babying
            his packs and watching where and how you use them. I will agree that
            I would not bushwack with this pack nor throw it into a bramble bush,
            but it tougher than you would be led to believe. If you need a
            second opinion on more specific merits of this pack, please ask our
            esteemed BPL colleague David Spellman.

            In final, whether someone is a BPL elister or a BPGT tester, it is
            the time spent, and the experiences had, that provide the rest of us
            with worthy input on the merits of a piece of gear.

            OneMan
          • gordon-price@home.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
              Toby,
              I have never even seen a Gust in the wild, so I can't comment, but
              here are my thoughts on the G4.

              As to weight, I have had 30+ pounds in mine, and it was still more
              comfortable than than a bigger, heavier pack. It is very comfortable
              at less than 20 pounds, but still quite usable at higher weights.
              Note that I would not want to carry more than 25 pounds on a regular
              basis, this only happens when I have a ways to go to my next water
              and I load up with a full 4L.
              Now, that said there are two things that I think have an impact on
              that comfort. The first is get the right size. I know mine would be
              even more comfortable if I had the smaller size. With a pack that is
              a little too big, the bottom hits you in the butt, and the hip belt
              doesn't really tranfer any weight. If you are shorter than about 6'-
              8", I suggest taking good measurements, and talk to Glen and consider
              a semi-custom. The same goes if you are very tall, as a too small
              pack would be uncomfortable too.
              The second thing is the shoulder straps. I found them to be very
              uncomfortable when stuffed with socks and carrying a heavy load. I
              suggest just using the foam and accepting that tiny extra weight.
              Also, I found the pattern Glen includes seems to result in the
              padding sliding down inside the strap, and sitting too low anyway. If
              you just cut off the two little tabs at each end that are supposed to
              wrap around the velcro area, and shove the pad all the way up inside
              the strap, then put a safty pin in the strap below the pad to keep it
              there, I think you will be happier. For my next G4, which I plan to
              sew myself, I will skip the velcro in the shoulder straps, and just
              sew the padding right in.
              As for durability, I would definitely suggest going with ripstop on
              the side pockets. I had to force my way through some really nasty
              brambles last week on Mt. Hood (crossing the Muddy Fork of the
              Sandy), and I tore a small hole in a side pocket. As someone said,
              Glen is conservative with what he says about babying the pack, but
              unless you need more space to dry stuff, I think the side pockets
              make more sense in ripstop. As for setting it down, leaning it up
              against trees, etc., you just have to be a little careful. I dropped
              mine, fully loaded, 6' to a rocky/sandy slope while crossing the
              White River on Mt. Hood, with no problems. Yes, with my old Gregory I
              could have heaved the thing 40 feet across the river, but I think the
              G4 is able to handle a reasonable amount of abuse. Also, had I been
              thinking I would have tied off my 4' section of cord that i carry
              (for just such occations, yes ;) and the drop would have been mere
              inches. The only thing I really keep in mind is to put the pad away
              from a tree or rock, as it is held in with mesh. It just means it is
              not as easy to get to the drying pocket when the pack is leaning.
              Also, you can't sit on a G4 the way you can other packs. You can,
              however, lean up against it like a recliner, while sitting at the
              edge of a meadow at dusk watching the deer ;) Also, it is so light
              you can drop it off one shoulder, open the top and get something out,
              close it back up and get it back on your back, all while one the
              move. Try that with a regular pack!

              Hope that gives you something to work with as you decide.

              Gordon
            • AsABat
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2001
                If you haven't already done so, check out the Files section of this
                group for the G4 reviews. In mine I mention that I have done some
                minor bushwacking with my G4C in the desert, and the pack surprised
                me with no damage with just minor attention to where I was
                bushwacking.

                Some of the past problems were with older G4 designs with silnylon
                and fine mesh. The newer packs use 2.2 ounce ripstop and the mesh
                pockets, at least on the customs, are much heavier than the mesh on
                the pad pockets. My mesh has larger holes with heavier line, almost
                like a heavier fishing net.

                IMO, as long as you don't throw the pack on the ground or sit on it,
                it should hold up fine. I've carried upto 34 pounds in it, and while
                not real comfy at that weight, the (food) weight dropped after a
                couple days into that 9-day trip and all was fine.

                Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey
              • Reed, Steven D.
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2001
                  I can only speak for the G4, but on a recent trip to the Tetons I saw John
                  O's (from BP Light list) full pack take a slide down a talus slope (John was
                  attached), and get tossed off of a small cliff (sans John) with no ill
                  effects. John did snag the back pocket a little while bushwacking through
                  (and I emphasis through) some dead pine trees. He was carrying about 24 lbs
                  on the trip. I really wouldn't have any qualms about the durability of the
                  G4. If you are worried about snagging the netting pockets you can have Glen
                  custom make one with silnylon outside pockets. I think this would really be
                  pretty bombproof.

                  -Steve

                  I have a specific question that some of you may be able to answer. I am
                  looking into a light pack, and see the Golite Gust and GVP G4 as my options.
                  Given the weight difference being only a few ounces, and my propensity for
                  being rough on gear, I am concerned about the comparative durability of
                  these packs. There is also a price difference, but that might not be a
                  problem. I expect that either of these packs would last only a couple
                  years, but I worry about a G4 exploding on me every time I touch a stick.
                  Is the Golite more durable? I only seek to get to the 20 lb level and
                  therefore think that I will be carrying a little too much weight for the G4
                  and this may also affect durability. Thoughts? I hoped that testers may
                  have a little more in depth knowledge than the Bplight peoples.

                  -Toby (testing the Delorme Topo product and HatLight)

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=168643.1620686.3168692.1261774/D=egroupmai
                  l/S=1705066005:HM/A=799560/rand=179443762>

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                • Adventure Alan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
                    Should not be a problem. This is a pretty tough pack.